Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: ManxCrawler's XR10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default ManxCrawler's XR10

I bought this as a BJV3, changed it to a BJV4, now it's time to start evolving the rig with the newer ideas doing the rounds

I want to show a couple of pics or so, the first shows a pot of gear lube I found in one of my pit boxes, it's hardly been touched and been in that pitbox for over 10 years. Aero-Car Technology - Super Speed Gear Lube, has anyone ever used it...or even heard of it? It must be good, it's an American product

Here's my original mini-T spring retainer, I was never happy with it. It's simply a washer, two traxxas pistons (TRX1) and an upper shock mount (also TRX1):

I recently found a better idea using less parts and enables me to use a set of smaller dia springs, a mold off the original XR10 plus a sero saver insert:

...look what sea water splashes do to your motor - I didn't see that it was so bad until it was on the big screen - I need to get my eyes lasered

Rear mounted link/shock:

A badly out of focus big bore shock cap mod:

A little idea I had today to stop the 3mm bullets from pulling apart - silicone tube:

I shaved the edges of the front UJ's to get smoother increased angle with a carbide burr in my dremel (guess who forgot to take a pic..), and modded the front knuckles for one more notch of caster

Although I didn't take other pics, I rotated the skid about the front lower link mounts so it sits at an angle giving more breakover clearance and trimmed the chassis to suit

These springs are too stiff I think, plus I can't adjust them unless I use snips to shorten them

...I intend making a new chassis, I love the look of J-FAB's lexan jobbie

I don't have a machine shop or a garage or even a spare room, I'll be using my dremel, bastard file, mitutoyo caliper, and other peoples ideas
ManxCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: ManxCrawler's XR10

Whats the point of the rear link shock setup?
Krawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Just a bit of extra clearance

Sent via smartassphone & tapatalk
Old 05-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: ManxCrawler's XR10

Progress has stopped really but I got round to starting shaving some tyres, I chose my red dot boss claws mainly because they just don't perform on our smooth slate, so this is more of a challenge for the tyres to prove themselves

First off a before pic:

I put a pink BC foam in to support the tyre then attacked it with a bosch reciprocating sander - it did nothing so out came the dremel with a sanding drum. Half an hour later it was like this:

Then I turned the tyre inside out (sorry for the blurry pics, I have shaky hands due to epilepsy and there's nothing I can do about it even on meds):

I ground the internal ribbing off and just a quick run round the perimeter to get rid of the polished surface:

This is how much rubber came off just one side of the tyre (outside + inside):

Total weight from one tyre half so far is 12-13g or 0.46oz - estimated weight saving for 4 tyres is 100g or 3.5oz

I have to say the sidewall is MUCH more pliable

I still think there's work to be done on the back side of the tread

ManxCrawler's XR10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jakesy's XR10 video thread ( latest vid-XR10 vs Bully) jakesy Videos! 28 05-15-2011 04:49 PM