Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Battery tray - adjustable easy access concept

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Battery tray - adjustable easy access concept

An idea I'm kicking around to replace the silly stock tray. The new concept battery tray is red and could be made from 1" x 1" x .062" aluminum angle. Your thoughts?

Three lower holes to give it an adjustable angle (10, 20, or 50 degrees) It is shown at 50 degrees but could go almost flat.
zodiaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
TSK
Shelf queen

Default Re: Battery tray - adjustable easy access concept

Somebody had some free tie on their hand. I used a BWD tray when I ran the stock skid. And now I just drop the whole skid out on my SA if I need access to the guys.

Seems a bit overkill to me since i don't have to get in there too frequently.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Not a bad idea I think but you need to drop it much lower - basically riding on the lower links - to get the CoG as low as possible.

I'm happy with my RR axle mounted tray FWIW.
Maxx_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Somebody had some free tie on their hand. I used a BWD tray when I ran the stock skid. And now I just drop the whole skid out on my SA if I need access to the guys.

Seems a bit overkill to me since i don't have to get in there too frequently.
Yeah, I fortunately do have some free time right now to "play" with ideas. If nothing else, doing this stuff keeps my 3D skills sharp.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiaci View Post
Yeah, I fortunately do have some free time right now to "play" with ideas. If nothing else, doing this stuff keeps my 3D skills sharp.
I wish I had that modeling skill. Your's is impressive to say the least.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Ok, I finished making and testing the first unit and I have to say it works very well and weighs almost nothing.
I did lower the battery about .25" to lower the C of G slightly without compromising the battery protection.
Compared to the original mount, it is 100% easier to take the battery in and out. Effortless.
One velcro strap and the battery slips straight up and out. Slip the other one in and secure the velcro.
The battery is guided/secured on all sides so there is no need to align it or worry about it moving while driving.
Also, the handling appears to be the same. I can't see/notice any difference while driving.
The thing I like the most besides easy in-out of the battery, is the fact that the battery is completely protected from rock bites.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

gotta say there are 2 major flaws

1. people with money to spend on aftermarket parts dont have a stock chassis
2. already mentioned cg is way too high, most people run their battery on the lower skid or on the front axle... there are just much better options for the money.
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Maybe I'm alone, but I have money to spend on aftermarket parts and I run a stock chassis.

Zodiaci, there are about a gazillion RC junkies out there. If you can design your component, build it, then sell it, you will have done more than most people will do. Plus, you'll have learned a lot in the process. And the next idea you have...you'll be able to build on what you've learned. It's how businesses get started. Regardless of how well your component might sell or not sell at all, it's training for that next idea that is the real pay for following through with ideas.

Like SkorpionKing, I wish I had your skills for putting an idea onto a screen like that. Mine are always rough pencil sketches, which can make it tough to convey to a manufacturer exactly what you're trying to get them to build for you. That wouldn't be an obstacle for you.

Stick with it, even if it doesn't sell. Try it. Maybe what you designed it for is not what someone else thinks to use it for. You designed and built a battery holder, but someone else might discover that it actually works better as...who knows. It happens all the time, even right here on this site.

Or it's just another prototype on the shelf. But it's another step in learning how to move something from idea to prototype to product in a more timely fashion every time you take a shot at it.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:08 AM   #9
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
Ok, I finished making and testing the first unit and I have to say it works very well and weighs almost nothing.
I did lower the battery about .25" to lower the C of G slightly without compromising the battery protection.
Compared to the original mount, it is 100% easier to take the battery in and out. Effortless.
One velcro strap and the battery slips straight up and out. Slip the other one in and secure the velcro.
The battery is guided/secured on all sides so there is no need to align it or worry about it moving while driving.
Also, the handling appears to be the same. I can't see/notice any difference while driving.
The thing I like the most besides easy in-out of the battery, is the fact that the battery is completely protected from rock bites.
I'm interested in seeing a picture of it man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rry View Post
gotta say there are 2 major flaws

1. people with money to spend on aftermarket parts dont have a stock chassis
Not everybody chooses to run an aftermarket chassis man.... Look at Bender and Brandon some of the best guys out there and they still run the Stock chassis. Bender even pulled a line that one Switch couldn't pull (another Switch did pull it though... )

People choose what they spend their money on If it's something you feel will make it better go for it you'll be none the worse for trying.
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post

Not everybody chooses to run an aftermarket chassis man.... Look at Bender and Brandon some of the best guys out there and they still run the Stock chassis. Bender even pulled a line that one Switch couldn't pull (another Switch did pull it though... )

People choose what they spend their money on If it's something you feel will make it better go for it you'll be none the worse for trying.
Couldn't agree with ya more.
I choose to run the stock chassis because it works very well and I like to have a body with a nice paint job.
Call me old school or whatever but it's what works for me.

The whole reason I designed and made this battery tray was to solve the issues I was having with the stock mount while retaining the stock chassis and body.
As you all know, there is practically zero space for a battery between the front links.
I tried everything and it just didn't fit well. Links would always hit the battery affecting articulation and the battery was a total pain to remove and install.
I considered mounting the battery on the front axle but I didn't want to cut the body for clearance. Paint job is too nice!

So, this is what I came up with:
-Super easy battery in-out
-Very lightweight
-Adjustable angle
-Strong
-Plenty of clearance for the links
-Completely protects battery
-No noticeable change in handling

It works.
Oh, and I'm not trying to sell them, I just wanted to show people an "outside of the box" idea to mount a battery on an XR10.

Pics are on the way...
Old 05-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Looks good. I like it.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

You're not going to offer them for sale?

Why not try it? If you've got time to make only four a week, tell people that up front so they expect a wait. But heck, you've got the chance to put something out there. Maybe it raises a little cash to do a next idea.

Just my opinion, but I think you ought to at least make it available. It's just a hunch, but something tells me the guys at VP had plenty of work to do with their existing equipment before they decided to float a mod part or two out there and perhaps never expected to be received in the RC crawler world or actually to take/share the lead for quality of parts.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

A few pics of the first "rough" prototype:

Old 05-28-2012, 03:46 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Nice work brah! On my xr10 battery mount I'm running a Plastic servo box case i cut and drilled for low cog, it's zip tied to the lower links and and it holds my 3s 1300 perfectly and the battery will fit between the upper links no problem. The 2 Ckrc 3s 1300 lipos I have are kinda big for the front axle so I made this. You can have this design if you want. Didn't cost me a dime!
Jstall7543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

That's exactly what I did with my XR when I was building it, except that I cold-bent some polycarbonate to do it. Expect a call from my legal counsel to discuss your patent infringement.

No, I'm kidding. You did a great job with them. Thanks for posting the photos.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
That's exactly what I did with my XR when I was building it, except that I cold-bent some polycarbonate to do it. Expect a call from my legal counsel to discuss your patent infringement.

No, I'm kidding. You did a great job with them. Thanks for posting the photos.
Oh gawd, but mine has an extra "square" hole so it doesn't violate the patent.

No, seriously, great minds think alike.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post

I think T3rrys right to a degree but it may have come across a little harsh. MOST ppl ARE running an aftermarket chassis. Not all so there may be a market for these. COG IS way to high tho. Thats throwin a lotta weight up high & no matter how ya slice it...it WILL affect how yer rig handles.

Ya cant use Brandon & Brad...AXIAL TEAM DRIVERS as an example of who runs a stock chassis. It's THEIR chassis & likely...part of their contract to run it. Just like Mark Reels contract. They run the stock chassis because...well they kinda have to & it works for em.

Keep designing stuff bro. Not EVERY products gonna be a homerun outta the gate.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:53 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
I think T3rrys right to a degree but it may have come across a little harsh. MOST ppl ARE running an aftermarket chassis. Not all so there may be a market for these. COG IS way to high tho. Thats throwin a lotta weight up high & no matter how ya slice it...it WILL affect how yer rig handles.

Ya cant use Brandon & Brad...AXIAL TEAM DRIVERS as an example of who runs a stock chassis. It's THEIR chassis & likely...part of their contract to run it. Just like Mark Reels contract. They run the stock chassis because...well they kinda have to & it works for em.

Keep designing stuff bro. Not EVERY products gonna be a homerun outta the gate.

J.D.
X2 I couldn't agree more.

You got drawing skills, if you keep designing, making and testing, you can make a part/s every one cannot live without. There has to be R&D, and trial and error.

Good luck man, and good for you for being hands on about it and looking to improve something!
Waiting Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Pshawww...I've never actually used that phrase.

Who cares about a contract? They're using a stock chassis and spanking a whole lot of people with far more expensive setups.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:23 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Oh gawd, but mine has an extra "square" hole so it doesn't violate the patent.

No, seriously, great minds think alike.
Crap, I didn't see that. I was planning on being able to get all that dental work I need done. Oh, well.

Battery tray - adjustable easy access concept - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy access to transmission? buffet Axial Wraith 10 04-17-2012 09:13 AM
Battery tray & battery options? Mysterious Axial XR10 10 02-18-2012 01:13 PM
Easy under hood access OKJeepin Axial Wraith 22 12-07-2011 06:34 PM
Front battery access Supercomputer5 Axial Wraith 6 08-17-2011 07:19 PM
BWD Modular Servo Mount/Battery Tray/Adjustable Upper Link Mount billet works HPI Wheely King 18 07-05-2010 10:52 AM