Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Life of a pin tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Life of a pin tire

how long do you guys run a set of say Boss Claws before u change them out for a new set?

when do you feel that the boss claw starts to lose its grip/traction?

Last edited by chevotafun; 05-01-2012 at 10:19 PM.
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Default Re: Life of a pin tire

Hey, look what I found.

Life of a boss claw?

There's a lot of variables, which is possibly why no one is answering you. Truck weight, rock grip levels, how much you dig, how much you floor it and spin tires, how many pins there are, etc.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I run mine until the pins fall off. Usually takes me about 4 months of hard driving.
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Szczerba has been running the same set of khaos for 2 years.. they are pretty worn but they still hook up really well. i would have to say he runs a lot.
pitcher2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Hey, look what I found.

Life of a boss claw?

There's a lot of variables, which is possibly why no one is answering you. Truck weight, rock grip levels, how much you dig, how much you floor it and spin tires, how many pins there are, etc.
None of that has anything to do with what i asked.
Either u run them till they die or u change them at a certin point simple.

THank you to the rest who gave me a straight answer
Cheers

Last edited by chevotafun; 05-01-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevotafun View Post

Cheers

I usually change tires when I am ready for new ones.

That is about as VAGUE as your question.....
redrokin00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:

Cheers
Actually what EeePee said has everything to do with what you said. And I'd watch it, don't want to be getting all smartass with a mod, he gave you an actual legitimate answer
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
MODERATOR™

I was the first person to respond in over 90 views in two different threads you started over two days.

I help in mysterious ways.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
how long do you guys run a set of say Boss Claws before u change them out for a new set?

OK for the simple people out there when do you feel that the boss claw starts to lose its grip?
Simple people? You really are just a dumb prick aren't you? Your not going to get a good answer unless your dumb ass explains in a more precise manner like what kind of terrain(jagged rocks, sand stone, granite, etc....) do you gun it or creep, etc.....

Edit: make it simple for you, they will last awhile......... That help?

Last edited by demonoid369; 05-01-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Hows That?
Like i said either you run them till there dead or u don't just a noobie here just wanted a simple answer.
And telling me it depend on how much i spin my tires has nothing to do with when u think the tire has no more traction left in it.
in my opion not trying to piss people off.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #11
RCC Addict

It has everything to do with it, you don't think these tires don't have the same principal as a 1:1 tires? What happens when you do a burn out or spin your tires in real life? You lose rubber, which means its life span gets shorter........... Get the pic now? If you spin your pin tires a lot, their life span/use decreases, just like running on jagged rock or other rough surfaces, the tire will wear out quicker. Simple enough? You asked how long will that last....... It depends, there is no definitive answer
Old 05-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
when do you feel that the boss claw starts to lose its grip/traction?

This should answer your question. Buy a set, and when you feel they have lost traction, buy a new set. Honestly, this is the only positive way your going to know. No one can answer this question for you. If i told you that i ran a set for a month, cause i was constantly spinning the tires on loose terrain, and ate them up. then ran another set for a year, cause the rocks werent as slick, and i was able to creep slowly. would that help you? No. There is no answer anyone can tell you.
asian195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #13
Try to Bend it

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
Simple people? You really are just a dumb prick aren't you? Your not going to get a good answer unless your dumb ass explains in a more precise manner like what kind of terrain(jagged rocks, sand stone, granite, etc....) do you gun it or creep, etc.....

Edit: make it simple for you, they will last awhile......... That help?

Have you run pin tyres, I am guessing not so your input in this thread is useless at best. So instead of following EeePee around as the president of his fan club. Stay in Chit Chat and leave the tech to people that can answer the question.

Depending on the cut and drive time you have on your boss claws they will last for varying amounts of time. A common consensus on them is they get better with age. But a point will come where they start to lose traction at a guess I would say that is when the lugs are around 1/5 of their original length. Chances are by then though the carcasses will have worn quite severely and will have needed to be changed any way. I have been running my Khaos rovers for around a year now and will probably be looking to change them in the next couple of months. HTH
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #14
RCC Addict

just because i havent ran them or used them doesnt change the fact of physics, even you just admit to that after awhile when they get 1/5 their length(your words) they start to lose traction. hmm i said something similar to that. again its all about how you use them and what type of driving style and terrain, oh just to prove the point look at post #3 and #4, hard driving, 4 month. yours over a year, there is no exact answer, because every situation is different, the op could, depending on driving style, terrain, etc, have to change out in 4, 6, 9 months or even 2 years. so take a back seat and get off your peddle stool.

for the dumb eeepee statement, i dont follow anyone, there is people here ill agree with more than others but doesnt mean im a fan boy.

Last edited by demonoid369; 05-03-2012 at 02:55 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:23 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

There isn't a definitive answer to this question, anything from a couple of weeks up to a couple of years. Depending on the abrasiveness of the rock and how much rock time you put in it's possible to wear them out in weeks.

It's like any other class of rc cars, when the tyres aren't competitive any more, it's time to put new ones on - and that's the best answer you'll get...

Sent via smartassphone & tapatalk
ManxCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:05 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Maybe this will help, if someone could could compare the life of say rovers or Sedonas to the boss claws. If someone has driven both they could tell you some hard facts about tire life. This would then give you a general idea just so you have somewhere to start.
Krawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Sedonas are obviously going to last longer due to the volume of rubber in the tread, rovers will be next, then claws

...that's assuming the sedonas and rovers haven't been siped to within an inch of their lives
ManxCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Mine have about 5 hours of run time on them and about half of the pins have been removed. They keep getting better with every minute of use, when the performance flattens out, they'll be at their "broken in" life span. As soon as the performance degrades and doesn't increase in another area, say side hilling for example, I'll pull them and replace them with the same thing, just a slightly different cut to help increase the life of the high wear areas.

95geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #19
Custom Carbon Fiber

My last pair of BC's had just a pencil tip worth of pin left and they felt almost as good as a new set. I was actually impressed that they even worked with that little left.

On my LCC I could go a full season running in 2 clubs plus practice once a week and still have life left to run an indoor winter series. On my XR with 3S I got a season, switched to 4S and they just melted off the tires.

Terrain wise I run on alot of different types so they get a hard work out no matter where I drive.

Found a picture of some fronts in red compound after about 7 months.

Last edited by Robbob; 05-04-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

i would say they shouldn't be drastically worse or better than any other tire which is ran mainstream.

you know how people say you have to break in sadonas... well, i feel like it takes a lot less times to break in pin tires if they are cut.. this is one benifit of running them. also they are versitle compared to sadonas which I THINK... do really well, but not on slicker stuff. the pins do well with both usually.

so they may last for a shorter timeframe, but i say buy what you are considering getting and trying.. resale value on pin tires is not low.. you will get most of your money back if you sell.. even if you cut them.

if we keep flaming people to a minimum, then all should benifit more with information given instead of people getting pissed off...

good luck with whatever tire you get!!
pitcher2103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Life of a pin tire - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pin tire petition Chris_The_Battery_Man Tires and Wheels 145 09-06-2012 09:54 AM
1.9 Panther Pin Tire storminator Tires and Wheels 15 12-24-2010 07:05 PM
Panther Pin Tire storminator Tires and Wheels 8 10-04-2010 10:44 PM
Pin Tire with Comp Tire Sidewall - How To Write up Kraqa Tires and Wheels 16 08-27-2010 11:55 PM
Tire life. Mic Tires and Wheels 6 05-21-2008 10:12 AM