Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: xr10 start up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default xr10 start up

scale is awesome but i want a "stupid, climb anything rig". looks as though an xr10 fits the bill. i found a kit with stage 1-2-3 upgrades, seems legit. so xr10 guys, am i better off building the kit this way, or taking a more custom approach? (not comping, dont care if its legal to compete)
stickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: xr10 start up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickys View Post
scale is awesome but i want a "stupid, climb anything rig". looks as though an xr10 fits the bill. i found a kit with stage 1-2-3 upgrades, seems legit. so xr10 guys, am i better off building the kit this way, or taking a more custom approach? (not comping, dont care if its legal to compete)

If you have done your research on what upgrades the XR10 needs, and you are happy with the deal then go for it.

I would keep it legal spec though. Learn to drive it legal, and it will be easyer to start comping it or sell it if you deside on either.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:55 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

this is part of my research. asking questions to those who know this truck the best. i want to start with a solid base to build off of and not back track (been there). its easy to miss important details at times.
stickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:32 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I'm not sure what your budget is like... you really didn't give much info on what you wanted. My advice is to read through a lot of builds and decide what you want out of your crawler. Hopefully you stay within your budget.

Project uber cheap and effective XR
This is a very good read.
Enjoy
eisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

More info will help - what exactly are you looking at, price, budget, what have you got that you could us, etc.

BTW if you mean with "taking a more custom approach" adding further upgrades, aftermarket and even your own custom made parts - you will invariably end up doing this in any case if you want a "stupid, climb anything rig".
Maxx_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I bought my XR with that in mind and then when I finished building it, I ended up just taking it to comps. It's better suited as a competition rig. I feel like it will break bashing in the yard with my son and his AX10 (so I bought a Wraith for that).

Ultimately, it's a specialized rig with competition in mind, if you don't use it for that, you may not be too happy with it.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I bought a used XR and even though it had tons of upgrades (basically every VP part made for it) and nice electronics there are things I have already had to change. Either because it broke or it doesn't fit my driving style. The upgraded gears went boom, so new gears for the rear. The front pinion went boom, so another one of those but one tooth higher, Servo went boom so a Ti version was bought. Honestly I dont think people really know what THEY want when building these things. Harley's guideline (sticky) seem to fit what my needs are so it would be a good place to start.

X2 on keeping it legal. When I bought it I though "i will never comp this thing" 2 days after running it I said "I want to comp this thing" since I have yet to really find non gated trails/rocks to be a challenge with the XR, even the lines where I think to my self no way the XR will make a stupid climb and then it walks it and I'm talking about rocks the size of houses and cars..
irokcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote

xr10 start up - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Darth Smoke's XR10 Build From Start to Finish Darth Smoke Axial XR10 46 07-06-2011 05:16 PM
Jakesy's XR10 video thread ( latest vid-XR10 vs Bully) jakesy Videos! 28 05-15-2011 04:49 PM