Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Max Steering Throw Kit for XR10's using Wraith knuckles "Please read the first post

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Max Steering Throw Kit for XR10's using Wraith knuckles

Okay. So I have been trying a few different things out. Some of you asked if this set could be made in carbon fiber. I did a set of steering plates out of 2.5mm carbon fiber but noticed there is a lot more flex in the plates than with equivalent aluminum ones. I'm afraid cf is not the right material for this product.

So I'm back with aluminum and here are some pics of what I would like to offer.

The steering plates are 3mm thick 5000 grade aluminum. The tierod is 4mm titanium. It is 162mm long and has 10mm of M4 thread at each end. There is a very small bend in the tie rod and it runs smoothly between the motor and the gear box. The black spacers are delrin.

I checked clearance with a VP SLW 3 1" wide wheel and VPs narrowest hub. I don't think anyone would use this hub up front, but just in case. I did not run into any clearance issues.

I measured steering throw without the wheels mounted. I don't know if I got a better or worse reading but this time I measured 70 degrees of steering.

If you've got any comments or suggestions there is still room for changes.

Tomi
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #22
Try to Bend it

That looks and sounds unreal Tomy. Can you show us a shot of the under side of the axle looking at the front of the car. So we can see how well it tucks up into the axle. Also do you think you could remove the need for the spacers by running a bent arm that is slightly longer.

Either way I like it and will be grabbing one of these set ups. PP waiting.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

I bought an XR10 kit and just getting parts before I start to build it. I would like to purchase this kit from you it looks awesome. I can pay-pal you the money.
Andrew
knuckleBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Nice option especially for guys looking to go with new Super 300HD.
winkscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #25
RCC Addict

I need one of these kits for my new 300hd's coming. Let em know when they are ready to ship!!! Paypal waiting!!!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Thanks for your interest everyone.

As soon as the kit is ready, I'll post info on pricing in the Vendors section.

@ Highlucks

Thank you for your feedback and ideas!

A tie rod with a stronger bend would eliminate the need for spacers and give a cleaner look, but unfortunately it leads to less steering throw.

The first pic shows a tie rod without spacers. The second pic shows where the rod end hits the front lower link mounting screw when fastened without a spacer, resulting in less throw. By using a spacer, the rod end travels over the lower link mounting screw and stops a the axle tube and gives more steering throw.

Here's a pic from the front with a tie rod using spacers. The tie rod sits higher than the axle tube. You have to really take the picture from underneath the truck to catch the tie rod.

One more pic of the steering throw with wheels mounted.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #27
E.Y. Designs

OH ya I'm in for sure when I get my XR10
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Good pics and a good explanation Tomy. Looks good

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
Oz Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #29
Try to Bend it

Thanks Tomy, I see what you mean by the more aggresive bend in the tie rod. But what I was suggesting was a bend in each of the knuckle arms. Cool kit regardless.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:57 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
But what I was suggesting was a bend in each of the knuckle arms. Cool kit regardless.
Sorry. My bad.

That's one option for sure. I guess you would like to eliminate any possible flex by removing the spacer. The spacer is 7.3mm long so the bend in the steering plate would have to be very aggressive. From a fabrication point of view I would prefer to use the spacer as I believe it will ensure more consistent results and better finish on the steering plate.

I did check for flex and the first part that flexes is the 4mm tie rod. But I really don't see the linkage flexing significantly in a real driving situation. It all feels very rigid.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:41 AM   #31
RCC Addict

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles...ering-kit.html

These are up for ordering now.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #32
RCC Addict

If you bought this kit, please read the first post of this thread.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...ml#post3802323
Old 07-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Max Steering Throw Kit for XR10's using Wraith knuckles "Please read the first po

I think the picture says more than the actual measured * of steering achieved. I'm still in for the kit and will try 8mm spacers, but I don't need them shipped across the country I can make them myself.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Max Steering Throw Kit for XR10's using Wraith knuckles "Please read the first po

I agree with Shelby, I cannot wait for these and my Wraith knuckles to get here.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #35
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
If you bought this kit, please read the first post of this thread.

Hey Tomi,

Your manning up of your mistake is an excellent representation of your character

IMHO, it is very difficult to accurately measure steering angle on a setup using the 8* kingpin inclination as the tires rotate askewed from each oter relative to the axle. I;m also sure that since the Super 300 HD's boast a 70* max angle, it is easy to get that number stuck in your head.

In all honesty, I don't think 70* is realistic without very wide offset wheels. anything near 60* is quite impressive. I believe unmodified VP XR knuckles were to allow 50* and Axial knuckles only allow for 45* so your kit should still allow for much improvement.

I have been a fan of Wraith knuckles for quite some time, and with stock arms, the tie rod ends max out once they hit the chub. Looking at your kit, the longer steering arms should allow the tie rod to max out closer to the axle housing, which should gain a few degrees.

Even if this kit falls a little short of what was originally expeced, I'm sure it will still be of great benefit to anyone using Wraith knuckles on a true crawler setup. I know my sportsman could benefit from this kit as well (which is why I bought 2)

Good luck in all your future ventures, and i will continue to do business with you as you have been nothing short of stand up vendor, who is putting out products the crawler community desires

Last edited by TSK; 07-06-2012 at 03:45 PM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:32 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

Tomy you give me some headaches
I was looking at my Xr and searching to see where you can put your tires with 70°
I mod my VP XR10 knucles and my servo mount, but I don't see where to gain more

but I'm 100% agreed with TSK
I'm waiting to have money for buying your weight holder
dude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #37
RCC Addict

I'm sorry for causing you a headache, Dude. But at least you squeezed the last few degrees out of your steering setup.

So I was at the second comp in our national series today and you can bet I checked all XR10's to compare steering throw. I'm relieved to report that my truck did have most steering throw of all XR10's out there today. There where XR10's with stock knuckles, VP XR10 knuckles, VP XR10 modded steering setups and also one with Wraith knuckles.

This is a pic that shows the difference compared to a truck with VP XR10 knuckles.

But the first kits should start arriving to you real soon so you will have a chance to decide what you think of it. Please remember that I'm ready to push the refund button for anyone who feels misled and regrets buying the kit due to my mistake.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Hello Tomy,

very nice and simple way to get max steering

Greetings Frank
Dr.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude26 View Post
Tomy you give me some headaches
I was looking at my Xr and searching to see where you can put your tires with 70°
I mod my VP XR10 knucles and my servo mount, but I don't see where to gain more

but I'm 100% agreed with TSK
I'm waiting to have money for buying your weight holder

Me too, How much are they and when will they be available.
Is it possible to modify the design to a double mounting tab? This will really make it super strong.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #40
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
Me too, How much are they and when will they be available.
Is it possible to modify the design to a double mounting tab? This will really make it super strong.
Wraith knuckles are not designed for a double shear style mount,

And the kit is already available.

TSK is offline   Reply With Quote

Max Steering Throw Kit for XR10's using Wraith knuckles "Please read the first post - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AX10 BTA Steering Kit for VP Knuckles Gear Head RC Axles, Trannys, T-case 12 06-07-2011 02:06 PM
TLT Super-Max Clearance Steering Knuckles! pigeonfarmboy RCP Crawlers 13 03-23-2009 09:25 PM