Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Heavy Steering Knuckles for Xr10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Heavy Steering Knuckles for Xr10

Aluminum Steering Knuckles for Xr10 are available from different manufacturers and I suppose they are much more robust than the plastic ones. They could be easily done fatter and heavier, using steel for example. So I wonder which is the advantage to put additional weight in the wheels and have those knuckles quite light. I would think it would be better have the weight on the axle than on the wheel in order to reduce the rotating inertia. Besides the 'fat' knuckles could be shaped in order to have the additional mass below the wheel center, helping to lower the c.o.g.
I read about few people pioneering this way but I wonder why there is no major manufacturer which sells them. Perhaps the benefits this system can give are very limited and it would be so expensive it wouldn't have market.
I made some experiment with modeling paste and I could put a volume equivalent to 3 or 4 cylinder weights for xr10 wheel in the lower part of the knuckle without any interference.

Thanks for any clarification
Filippo
setecastronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2012, 02:28 AM   #2
TSK
Shelf queen

Default Re: Heavy Steering Knuckles for Xr10

I think knuckle weights pretty much cover your ides, plus they are adjustable. The Nordic Crawler Design knuckle weight system even allow for forward/rearward bias options.

Reduced rotating mass is good for acceleration, but some guys like some additional rotating weight as it helps a vehicle in roll over recoveries as it allows the throttle to be used to manipulate the vehicle.

It's all a trade off, and pretty much comes down to personal preference.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I completely missed the production of knuckle weights.
Unfortunately for me it seems that most or all of them don't fit the stock Axial Knuckles and tires, do they ?
I noticed Vanquish produces a weight which fits perfectly in its aluminum knuckle. I understand that having weight separated from the knuckle itself let you fine tune the axle, but the sum of their cost is very high.
I still believe it would be simpler and cheaper to build fatter knuckles.

Thanks
Filippo
setecastronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
TSK
Shelf queen

You need to look into these:

Axial XR10 Stock Knuckle / Axle Weights
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote

Heavy Steering Knuckles for Xr10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Insane Steering angle on a mini... XR10 C's and knuckles T3rry Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 60 09-16-2012 02:51 PM
Vanquish XR10 Incision Steering Knuckles In Stock RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 2 10-01-2010 08:23 PM