Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Hittman's SMASH Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 12:28 AM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Hittman's SWITCH build

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Good info all around... I get tire lift, but have used it to advantage as well as loss.. I loose front tire pressure/bite when I get too vertical, like standing up, but still get suspension cycle. Now I have to play around too, I guess..
It's all in the complete setup.

Years ago I used to only focus on link geometry and never even paid attention to shock geometry.
Now I play with shock geometry first before I will touch my link geometry.
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
Sounds good man. I will mess with it this weekend. Suspension really isnt stiff, and it has the amount of articulation I have am comfortable with. I could move the rear uppers to the highest hole in the chassis, but then my links would not be parallel to the ground. So idk if it would help or hurt more?? The suspension set up with the straight links is much different than with the bent links. I set it up where there was the right amount of clocking, but where it still cycled cleanly. The links I have are custom made to fit those holes, So I fear that I really dont have too much adjustment.. But I do like where the links are now, and how they are parallel to the ground

Having your uppers parallel to the ground is a great neutral starting point. I always start there as well, but you can fine tune to your liking from that point.
Some may find that parallel to the ground is the best setup for them, but most will find some fine tuning will benefit them even more.
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Crawlers View Post
Having your uppers parallel to the ground is a great neutral starting point. I always start there as well, but you can fine tune to your liking from that point.
Some may find that parallel to the ground is the best setup for them, but most will find some fine tuning will benefit them even more.
I just watched my video about 15 times in a row and I can see what you are saying now. I guess when i am actually running it, I dont notice that much, but now that I look back, I see.
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Well.. this is long overdue.. but here it is..

We had our 3rd comp two Sunday's ago.. Some how I pulled off another 2nd place finish. I drove like $hit! and that is putting it nicely.. But I guess the 30-40mph winds and below freezing temperatures didnt help too much

I bought some of the DE racing wheels.. But, I guess you could say my drill press and the wheels didnt get along too well... So, I decided to use my Ytown wheels I had sitting on my shelf. Awsome wheels for sure! And super light with the 4 post design and aluminum screws. I also decided to try the mullet combo again..

From this, I learned that sedona's are some heavy b*tches.. I ran the mullet in the last comp and I wasnt too impressed.. My sporty with all rovers did better.. SOOOoooo I picked up some rovers. These are quite worn, but they are so much better. I siped them, clapped them, and sanded the internal sidewall support.. needless to say, they are light.

Sidewall

Siping

rear wheel/tire weight with 725 vp hub and losi boss claw foam

Front wheel/tire weight with 850vp hub + 1/16" dlux spacer and narrowed Pitbull dualstage foam

Weight of all the tires and wheels

To help save the tire sidewall a little bit, I sanded down my servo arm.. but while it was off.. I figured might as well break out the mother's car polish

On the vp steering arm, I moved the hole back and then mounted the drag link behind the servo arm. This really helped! It puts much less stress on the servo, and the servo travel needed for full throw was greatly decreased.

Servo travel at full lock

Next, I wanted to move the knuckle weights out just a little bit to help with stability.. I found out it couldnt be much, but every little bit helps right?

After the last comp.. I switched the cab.. So now it is "backwards" and I seem to like it much better! New clear .020" lexan skins everywhere and it was ready to rock!

With the recent changes I have the rtr weight down to:

I am hoping the weather cooperates tomorrow so I can get some packs through this thing and some running pics

Last edited by Hittman; 12-20-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

so what way is backwards
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

I would say this way is "backwards".. I liked it the other way.. but with the clear panels, this way looked much better.. to me atleast
Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

ya now your running it the rite way
Old 12-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowride1 View Post
ya now your running it the rite way
I agree
Old 12-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Boy, you haven ever seen a warn rover if you call the great looking tire, worn! Broke in, maybe.. no where near warn tho.. great looking job on shaving an siping them..

I also like the "switch" .... Good to hear you.like the cab on in a propper manor!

Never mind that.. I thought you ran it the other way an had it on propper now..

Last edited by winnerone23; 12-20-2012 at 11:08 PM.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Boy, you haven ever seen a warn rover if you call the great looking tire, worn! Broke in, maybe.. no where near warn tho.. great looking job on shaving an siping them..

I also like the "switch" .... Good to hear you.like the cab on in a propper manor!

Never mind that.. I thought you ran it the other way an had it on propper now..
Yeah.. its not that worn.. I used the wrong wording, and compared to my mullet combo that had 15 minutes of runtime, they are worn.. but,, after my 30minutes on the vert board.. they are a little more worn down

You already saw that I changed my cab.. Dont be giving me $hit for a second time

Last edited by Hittman; 12-21-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:19 AM   #71
I wanna be Dave

so your rtr weight is 3 pounds how an the hell u dont this .
we have about the same shit an i cant get that low
Old 12-21-2012, 12:27 AM   #72
I wanna be Dave

ok i found it
motors
lw gears
lw hubs
an the upper links
i guess it all adds up fast

im going to be sitting at around 4.5
Old 12-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowride1 View Post
ok i found it
motors
lw gears
lw hubs
an the upper links
i guess it all adds up fast

im going to be sitting at around 4.5
Yeah.. all that makes a difference.. only 3 of the gears are the lw.. but the rest are in the mail so that will save me some more weight.

The motors make a difference and the upper links are very nice.. My new panels are also 6grams lighter than the old ones.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #74
E.Y. Designs

What you are totally running your cab backwards!?!? And you didn't tell me cause you knew I would convince you other wise Oh and you liked my servo arm idea And BTW nice scale perfect for the gram counter like you
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
What you are totally running your cab backwards!?!? And you didn't tell me cause you knew I would convince you other wise Oh and you liked my servo arm idea And BTW nice scale perfect for the gram counter like you
Yeah.. I knew changing the cab like that I would get crap.. whatever.. I like it!

And I know! I didnt really notice how perfect the scale was till last weekend. Pretty bad ass
Old 12-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

I got a few action pics today.. When our club comes back from our "winter break", our first comp is here.. so I figured i might as well get some practice in considering I have never driven this rig there.

Goin up!

And lastly this one.. I found this rock and I figured it was a good place to practice a jumping gate.. Well, I was definitely was getting some air off of it and figured it would be cool to get a shot of the rig mid air So.. trying to drive one handed and hold a camera with the other had was near impossible to time it right I couldnt get anything to good, so i told "myself "ok, last try, if i dont get anything good i will move on".. well I did get the "best" shot I had, but when I came down there was a loud popping sound I put up the camera, grabbed the rig.. I noticed that the rear motor guard had broke, So i figured that was ok.. then I pushed the throttle.. I am pretty sure the rear motor is not supposed to sound like rocks tumbling in a drum.. I havent taken it apart to see what is wrong, but from the sounds of it, its fawked.. It is very hard to spin the axle too. I will take it apart and see what happened tonight..

Here is the "best" jumping shot I got today..
Old 12-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #77
RCC Addict

Looks sweet man. Nice job on the build and upgrades!
paystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by paystin View Post
Looks sweet man. Nice job on the build and upgrades!
Thanks bud! I am really liking it.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

It looks great crawling up that first rock! Wicked.... Oh that's right, you Switched ur cab.. haha..
Looks great Christian, I want to come crawl there! Like a grown ups ashtray with rocks...

How clocked are ur chubs? One notch past stock mod?

Last edited by winnerone23; 12-21-2012 at 10:42 PM.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It looks great crawling up that first rock! Wicked.... Oh that's right, you Switched ur cab.. haha..
Looks great Christian, I want to come crawl there! Like a grown ups ashtray with rocks...

How clocked are ur chubs? One notch past stock mod?
Ha ha.. you are so funny .. actually up that rock was a challenge..

Its a nice place.. and yeah, As I was uploading the pics I noticed all the cigarette butts..

Yes, one notch past stock

Hittman's SMASH Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hittman's Featherweight Sporty Hittman Axial AX-10 Scorpion 104 05-19-2013 09:08 PM
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
Hittman's mini Hittman Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 17 10-01-2012 07:00 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM