Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: single or dual esc on first moa crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default single or dual esc on first moa crawler?

Sorry for such a newbie kinda of question i got a new phone and it won't let me use the search feature on this forum. I'm building my first moa wannabe comp crawler and I'm new to it for the most part. i have already bought a futaba 4 pl radio, two tekin 35 t pro brushed moters, a tekin fxr esc, a castle bec, 4 hot bodies rovers tires and a hitec ht 7955 tg steering servo. I'm going to buy either the xr10 kit, the bully kit or the berg kot if i can find one that is. My question or questions are this; should i stick with the one fxr esc or get a second and spend the extra cash. what would the pros and cons be of having one or two esc's? Do i have to buy a dig unit if i have just one esc or do i also need a dig if i have two of them? I'm going to be running a 3s lipo of some sorts. On another note since i can't find any bergs should i get the bully or xr10? I li ke xr 10 better for its many upgradesbut bully seems like u get more for ur money right of the bat and most of it is metal but hear its too heavy. any help would be greatly appreciated and sorry for all the somewhat rookie questions.
J-Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: single or dual esc on first moa crawler?

Buy a second FX-R. You have the radio. Use it to it's full potential. Welcome aboard!!
losiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I agree.. as a second fxr isn't much more then a punk dig at retail.. no dig needed with dual esc's.
Just me, I got rid of modded bully axles an Berg axles and running xr axles.. without many mods, vp chubs knuckles,lockouts, an upper link mounts. No issues.... They all take modding...
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Xr10 is my first choice im getting the kit on december 7th. So the vanquish mods u suggeste above are the first upgrades u would get? and what's advantage to two fxr aesc over one esc and a punk dig unit? And other then mods mentioned above any others u would replace off the bat. got plenty of money saved up for upgrades. i hear to get the .big bearingbtranny and hardened steel gears right off as they break easily. oh and would a 3s 1300 lipo 25 c discharge be a good battery to get ima get a few
Old 11-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I run two micro sidewinders on my xr so I will say spend the extra cash and get a second esc! You won't regret it! I have a 3 position switch on my 4pl programmed to cut out either esc which will act as a dig for front or rear. This way you don't need to use separate dig unit.

I would say get the xr10 (I am biased because I have not had any other crawler yet) you already have the bulk of the expense! The only other upgrade I would suggest would be rc4wd heavy duty gears for transmissions! The stock gears suck (teeth break off gears).

3s is great find a small battery as there isn't much room inside and try to get a high c rating if you can!

Happy Trails
CRAWLERJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Run 2 FXR's or if you want to save some weight and money run micro sidewinders.

Do not waist your time and money on a punk dig you have a remote that will run both esc's and you NEED to do that. Haha

With both motors having there own control center you can mix the power on-demand and it will make your crawling much more enjoyable.
jacobflyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

Dual!
redrokin00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Thanks to all qho replied its exactly wat i neded to know gonna buy anogther fxr esc hardened gears atnd upgraed gearbox g
Old 11-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Oh and i love those vanquish links and aluminum axles. would. u sugges carbon fiber chassis or agent bodiless chassis
Old 11-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
RCC Addict

x2 on dual esc

For your first upgrades I would go with better gears and a bigger bearing kit from either VP or RC4WD. Axial also makes a nice gear set, if you don't mind paying them twice.

When I built my axles I went with RC4WD gears, big bearing kit and replaced the bearing on the top shaft with a traxxas bushing. No problems after a year of comps and weekly practices.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I have been running mine for some time with the traxxas bushings, 9mm bearing mod, vp link mounts an stock gears, a couple hours a day.. no stock gear issues yet, not even a gear pop, which is most of what causes teeth to break off.. so I got a deal on 2 sets of stock gears for half of what one set of rc4wd gears cost, which I already had ordered at the time.. at 10 grams heavier per set, I don't know if ill ever use them.. maybe axial machined or light weight gears down the road.. I don't see gears as a first upgrade, not for just getting started. Always nice to have back ups tho... There are good axle mods to hold ur axle together to keep ur gears from popping.

On the cf chassis or bodied, that's up to ur personal preference..
I don't like bodies, so bodyless is my choice.. also, I went with a delrin chaotic switch, cause I was using cf for panels an wheels... Just the way I went with it.. all up to what turns you on.

Last edited by winnerone23; 11-27-2012 at 10:58 PM.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #12
RCC Addict

If you stick with a body ditch the clips and use nylon screws and nuts to hold the body on. Most people here have gunnar body mounts. Not sure if he sells them anymore. Anyway good luck with the build this stuff is super fun.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Yea i love that switch chassis delrin or carbon with bent ti. tanium links. would u guys suggest the vanquish aluminum axlss or is that overkill? They look awesome and would add weight down low.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLERJOE View Post
I run two micro sidewinders on my xr so I will say spend the extra cash and get a second esc! You won't regret it! I have a 3 position switch on my 4pl programmed to cut out either esc which will act as a dig for front or rear. This way you don't need to use separate dig unit.

I would say get the xr10 (I am biased because I have not had any other crawler yet) you already have the bulk of the expense! The only other upgrade I would suggest would be rc4wd heavy duty gears for transmissions! The stock gears suck (teeth break off gears).

3s is great find a small battery as there isn't much room inside and try to get a high c rating if you can!

Happy Trails
What discharge rating is best? I started to order a few 3s 1300 mah lipos yesterday with a 25c discharge rate but didnt knpw if that would be enough
Old 11-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Fish View Post
What discharge rating is best? I started to order a few 3s 1300 mah lipos yesterday with a 25c discharge rate but didnt knpw if that would be enough

Wait don't order yet!!!!

Most guys are running 430 to 850 packs with a much higher C rating.

You do not need a 1300 for comp crawling and if you want to run a lot for practice just buy more small batteries they are cheap you can buy a lot for not much money.

I was all ways very happy with my CB 850's but I went to a 430 now.
jacobflyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobflyin View Post
Wait don't order yet!!!!

Most guys are running 430 to 850 packs with a much higher C rating.

You do not need a 1300 for comp crawling and if you want to run a lot for practice just buy more small batteries they are cheap you can buy a lot for not much money.

I was all ways very happy with my CB 850's but I went to a 430 now.
So how much run time would i get with a battery like an 850 mah and what c rating is good like around 60c maybe? I want a larger battery just for going to park on and that wull last me atleast an hour but i was gonna get three or four smaller ones for co.mps and practice
Old 11-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Oh and what's acgood charger for under 150 that will charge two to four batteries atvonce and charge and balance lipos up to three to 4 s and charge all other types of batteries on ac and dc? Tall order i know
Old 11-30-2012, 04:48 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Dual ESCs bro, Holmes Supersmashed, you already have the Radio.

LIK
OFFROADRCKOREA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Fish View Post
Oh and what's acgood charger for under 150 that will charge two to four batteries atvonce and charge and balance lipos up to three to 4 s and charge all other types of batteries on ac and dc? Tall order i know
I use Turnigy Nano-tech 850's 45-90c rating and get 15-20 minutes depending on how much digging i do. I also use the Hitec X-2 charger and is a great workhorse. Have fun
losiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I just ordered two 850mah lipos and a 1300 mah lipo another tekin fxr thanks to u guys
Axial stage one aluminum upgrade kit from tower hobbys, stage three aluminum links set and a charger. Thanks for the advice guys

single or dual esc on first moa crawler? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Single ESC Wiring to Dual MOA Motors JeffK11 Electronics 16 08-05-2012 12:22 PM
Dual ESC vs. Single. OFFROADRCKOREA Axial XR10 19 02-28-2012 02:51 PM
Dual motor esc for single? msmith0322 Electronics 3 04-26-2011 08:34 AM
Dual or Single ESC cmjomaha Newbie General 18 09-08-2010 10:13 AM
Dual Single motor ESC? CT9A Electronics 1 07-09-2007 12:20 PM