Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Chris's "Cow Ant" XR Crawler Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #81
E.Y. Designs

Default Re: Chris's "Cow Ant" XR Crawler Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by oo C64 oo View Post
Hi there, I've been wondering if anyone is making motor skids? My cans are scratched up quite a bit, but then the damage seems to end there. I also am wondering if you are using a dig unit? ..I think that will help you with competitions. Also what turn motors are you using? I am using 55T with 3s Lipo...But i have ready to install some 45T brood motors. But peeps using 45T motors seem to be using lower teeth pinions. ie 12 or 13T instead of stock 14t...so i think a 55T with 14T pinion would be similar speed..Check my friends list for brood racing..and Heyok for dig unit....Anyway i think you did very well considering its your first event. Good work..Nice pics too thanks!!!
Billet works designs makes some.... they are what everyone uses for motor guards pretty much...

Derlin Motor Sav'r - Extreme Motor Guard
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

It was good to meet you. I really like your build and the truck looks really great in person as well. I was shocked when I went to my first comp It had 4 courses and I don't think I made it past get 3 on any of them. They actually started a joke that stuck for a while...

"Here's Harvo. You have to get the calander out to time him"
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
Billet works designs makes some.... they are what everyone uses for motor guards pretty much...

Derlin Motor Sav'r - Extreme Motor Guard
Thanks Ev...
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hi there, I've been wondering if anyone is making motor skids? My cans are scratched up quite a bit, but then the damage seems to end there. I also am wondering if you are using a dig unit? ..I think that will help you with competitions. Also what turn motors are you using? I am using 55T with 3s Lipo...But i have ready to install some 45T brood motors. But peeps using 45T motors seem to be using lower teeth pinions. ie 12 or 13T instead of stock 14t...so i think a 55T with 14T pinion would be similar speed..Check my friends list for brood racing..and Heyok for dig unit....Anyway i think you did very well considering its your first event. Good work..Nice pics too thanks!!!
I'm running 35t HH TM pro's with 14t pinions an love them, huge torque an wheels speed when you need it. I'm also running cf motor guards by Me, Custom Fiber..
Old 04-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #85
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Thanks Ev...

Sorry totally forgot about yours

Ok forgot about these sweet ones which are now becoming what people are starting to use

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles...ml#post4233309
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #86
Rock Stacker

What an awesome build thread. Great pics and descriptions.
Overkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #87
Rock Stacker

Well it's been a while since I've posted an update on this build. I've been selling alot of the old parts to buy a new radio, different electronics, shocks, hardware, etc. In the past month, my focus has been with weight reduction.

At ECC, the total weight was 2469g (5.44 lbs). I'm trying to get that number down to 2000g or less.

So I started with the wheels and tires. I drilled 12 1/4" holes (and slotted every other one) in each wheel, turned down the hubs a little bit, swapped to aluminum hardware, bead-blasted the beadlock rings, and trimmed the side lugs off the tires...

Before:

After:

Weight savings: 42g per pair = 84g total for tires and wheels.

I'm finishing up the new chassis design now (old chassis and links are going to be listed in F/S section soon btw ) as well as the suspension geometry to go with it using lighter shocks. I'll have that progress posted in the next few days or so.
coliver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Great build! Look forward to see what you have up your sleeve for new chassis. With what you learned on this one, I bet the next generation is gonna rock!
jollyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #89
Rock Stacker

Hey mate, nice work again, i'm impressed you have the stamina to do another round with another chassis..Look forward to this build too. What was wrong with your old chassis? Is there a reason why you need those weight reductions? Cheers
oo C64 oo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #90
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyjeeper View Post
Great build! Look forward to see what you have up your sleeve for new chassis. With what you learned on this one, I bet the next generation is gonna rock!
Thanks!

Quote:
Hey mate, nice work again, i'm impressed you have the stamina to do another round with another chassis..Look forward to this build too. What was wrong with your old chassis? Is there a reason why you need those weight reductions? Cheers
I wouldn't say there was anything "wrong" with the old chassis - it performed well, looked good, etc..it's just that numerous improvements could be made, and most of the fun for me is designing/building/testing
The weight reductions are needed I think to give the truck an overall lower center of gravity and to help give it better control on the rocks. With this new build, I'll be shooting for less than 2000g.

The new chassis differs from the old one in the following ways:
-made from 5/16" wide 7075 alum strips instead of 3/8"
-chassis pieces are all straight (i.e. zero bends for more rigity)
-bead blast finish instead of black powder coat finish
-utilizing all aluminum hardware instead of steel
-lower profile: 3" tall instead of 3.5"
-should be at least 25% lighter

Here's what it looks like in CAD sitting next to the old one:

and in SketchUp:

The new chassis is alot easier to make since the pieces are straight. I actually have most of the pieces already made!

For shocks, I decided to go with Traxxas big bores. I went with "long" (TRA2260) shock bodies and turned them down using Jaker's lathe. I removed around 0.055" off the diameter - this provided 7g of weight savings:

I'm going to try to finish up the chassis tomorrow and post more pics. Stay tuned!
Old 06-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #91
RCC Addict

Are you trying to make a flatpack chassis? If so, IKEA might endorse you.
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #92
Rock Stacker

Keep it up Chris, it will be interesting to see how the two chassis' compare...
oo C64 oo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #93
Rock Crawler

Just read the whole thread.... Excellent design and well made....

If you are redoing the new design and they are all straight plate, why don't you do them with CF plate? It will give you a lot of weight saving over aluminum plate.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #94
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielk View Post
Are you trying to make a flatpack chassis? If so, IKEA might endorse you.
Hahaha...that would be kinda cool to get some sponsors! I would need to invest in a router though to mass produce these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colgout View Post
Just read the whole thread.... Excellent design and well made....

If you are redoing the new design and they are all straight plate, why don't you do them with CF plate? It will give you a lot of weight saving over aluminum plate.
Thanks! You're right, using CF plate is a good idea since the pieces are no longer bent. I'll see how this new geometry works first and then probably go with carbon fiber on the next iteration...whenever that is.

SO a few updates on the V2 build...

I finished all of the chassis pieces and went ahead with bead blasting them, looks pretty cool:

Overall weight so far is 102g, but that's without the skid plate and body panels. I'm aiming for around 130g total for the chassis. Previous design was 188g so there will be a good bit of weight savings there.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #95
Rock Stacker

It's been a few months since my last post (feels so good to be done studying for the PE exam), but here are some updates on the v2 build:

I turned down the stock tranny gears just to see what kind of weight savings could be made:

Overall, saved about 13 grams per axle:

Then I decided to turn down the VP rear lockouts to get within 1g of the stock plastic ones:

Stock Plastic:

Stock VP:

Turned down:

After noticing there was little wear on the underside of the transmission cases, I decided to return to using the stock plastic ones instead of the VP. This yielded some good weight savings as well:

Stock VP (after bead blasting):

Stock Plastic:

Then, I lightened up the steering a bit by going with 1/8" titanium rods, aluminum hardware, and a carbon fiber steering arm.

Before:

After:

All of these changes combined to reduce the front axle weight by 64 grams total:

Before (400g + 28g steering):

After:

The rear axle weight was reduced by 51 grams total:

Before:

After:

Well that's all for now. I'll be finishing up the shocks in the next couple of days (hopefully) and post the progress. After that, 4-links, electronics, and finishing touches on the chassis. Stay tuned.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Lockouts look awesome turned down! Superior work in all that you did, gears look cool dished out as well!

lots more grams to be lost if you stick with some CF.. tranny windows, servo guard, battery tray, etc..
Old 12-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #97
Rock Stacker

I finished up the shocks and they came in pretty light for big bores...

Before (84g):

After (46g):

Also, the new 4-links shaved some weight since the uppers are now 1/8" Ti-rod and aluminum balls are used throughout.

Before (77g):

After (61g):

And finally, I added knuckle weights back to front axle. I'm gonna try not using the half-weights at first to see how that affects the distribution before adding more.

Before (212g):

After (121g):

Time to start soldering some wires!
Old 12-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #98
Quarry Creeper

Some how I have miss this build. I read though the whole build and what a great job you did. I love to see guys step outside the box and use their own design. It's like the good old day. Keep up with the great build thread, it was a lot of fun to read.
Beerman Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #99
Quarry Creeper

I'm reading this thread an year later it started and it is very interesting and original .
I'm only at page 2 but I already have some questions. You tried and were successful in reducing the slope in the tranny. I think the major reason you did it is reliability and durability or are there other important considerations ?

Besides you shimmed the front universal this way:

According to my limited experience this can be a potential error.
In fact the front universal and knuckle turning point must be aligned.
I think you should shim either internally either externally when the knuckle is turned and the front universal is in the right position, not free to move any more.

Bye
Filippo
setecastronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #100
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerman Crawler View Post
Some how I have miss this build. I read though the whole build and what a great job you did. I love to see guys step outside the box and use their own design. It's like the good old day. Keep up with the great build thread, it was a lot of fun to read.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by setecastronomy View Post
I'm reading this thread an year later it started and it is very interesting and original .
I'm only at page 2 but I already have some questions. You tried and were successful in reducing the slope in the tranny. I think the major reason you did it is reliability and durability or are there other important considerations ?

Filippo
Yea - mainly durability. The less slop you have the less jerk (and chance of breakage) you have in the transmission. The shims were to reduce lateral slop.

Since I upgraded to a 4 channel radio (Futaba 4PL), I decided to ditch the br-xl and punk dig and go with two CC micro sidewinders. Quite a bit of weight savings.

Total weight of both micro sw's, castle bec, receiver, and all wiring: 55 grams. (old electronics and wiring came out to 121 grams)

All wired up:

As it sits now, I'm a good bit under 2kg. Still have to add the skid plate and body panels but weight's looking good so far...

Chris's "Cow Ant" XR Crawler Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"THE CHUNK" Easily the sexiest damn custom mini this cow has ever seen! The Cow Non Crawler RC's 2 07-11-2010 03:30 PM
ATTN: "TEAM COW" Supporters! Custom "CARBON COW" Avatars! The Cow Chit Chat 5 06-12-2010 05:47 PM
Rampede's Bronco Trail Finder Build "Mud Cow" Rampede 1.9 Scale Rigs 9 06-07-2010 01:59 AM
Chris's "Memphis" Tuber Build Gimp Axial AX-10 Scorpion 79 05-10-2010 08:09 PM
Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1/10 Rock Crawler Kit Build, Chapter 2 "The Mod Build" JAM MaxAmps.com Axial AX-10 Scorpion 42 06-06-2008 10:00 PM