Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: NCD LaaLaa-special XR-2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
R_2
Pebble Pounder

Default XR-2, Now in 3D for your viewing pleasures.

Okay, time for build story for my low-budget-low(ish)-weight XR-10

Chassis: NCD LaaLaa Special -> Dravtech Sudu Mod 3D
Motors: Tekin 35T pro x 2 -> Brood Creeps HHK-ST 35T -> Brood Stubbies HHK-T Team edition 30T
Esc: Tekin FXR x2 mashed
Bec: CC 10A
Servo: Hitec HS-7950TH
Radio: Sanwa MT-4, with LRP C3-RX receiver
batteries: Nanotech 350mAh 65-130c
wheels: Narrowed XR-10 -> NCD CF

Front axle has VP motor plate, trx bushings and RC4WD gears, VP c-hubs/wraith knuckles, NCD steering kit and knuckle weight system.

Rear axle is pretty much stock, original motor plate dilled for 9mm bearings, and trx bushings.

And a build thread without pics, phew...

Almost first step I did was to let my dremel knock-off meet the drivesafts, frees them up quite nicely

Rear axle shawed, older pic, missing screw mod through the case.

DIY-versin of battery tray (yes, I did look Rowdy`s pictures while planning this ) Downsides when doing with what you have in storage, the used aluminium is a little on the soft side. But we`ll see...

Next to the weight shaving department. I wanted to make sure I can use straight upper links so upper link mounts needed something extra. Took some epoxy, CF and started to work. In these pieces there is a hole moulded for the middle fin of the original link mount.
By no means I am not an expert in CF works, done only some little pieces for my rc-planes, landing gear etc.. Although feeling confident about these But first pieces, little pieces and not so refined work methods, boy were they PIA to work with

And next came the goodie-pack from Tomy

Next up was some m3 and m4 all-thread an starting to mock up some links.

And Houston, we have a roller...

To be continued...

Last edited by R_2; 05-01-2017 at 07:10 AM.
R_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2013, 01:39 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: NCD LaaLaa-special XR-2

looking sweet man . tho i would move the vp gear case to the rear cause thats what breaks. i still run all stock gears in the front but i do have the vp case f an r
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Nice looking Rig R-2
douwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:55 AM   #4
R_2
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowride1 View Post
looking sweet man . tho i would move the vp gear case to the rear cause thats what breaks. i still run all stock gears in the front but i do have the vp case f an r

Thats true, but I thought that gears in the rear are way easier to replace..
And, I have quite easy trigger finger, friends have said that in my use stock gears would last forever Ie, on my sportman AX I had original driveshafts, and ran them over two years without problems, including all comps for two seasons..

Btw.. weather is quite nice for building now.. -30c outside so will be going outside only to pick up more wood for the fireplace
Old 01-19-2013, 03:08 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_2 View Post

Btw.. weather is quite nice for building now.. -30c outside so will be going outside only to pick up more wood for the fireplace
Lol bit cold compared to our tem yesterday of 46 degrees.

Rig taking shape. Ill be watching with interest.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Oz Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Cool looking chassis
I'm kind of missing my beloved LaaLaa Special but let's see if I can get soon my own build topic with other great NCD product
laalaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Looking good R_2! Will you replace the shocks with Big Bores? Those shocks with multimillion colours does look hiddious
Zarizi Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
R_2
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarizi Tech View Post
Looking good R_2! Will you replace the shocks with Big Bores? Those shocks with multimillion colours does look hiddious

Nah, those El Cheapos will do just fine There has to be at least some colour in the rig cos rest of it will be black/aluminium
Old 01-21-2013, 03:02 AM   #9
R_2
Pebble Pounder

And next was time for little elecronics.. (pun intended..)

First took cc-bec and soldered new wires to it, into another direction, and coat of electonics varnish, and new shrink wrap. Also took off the top plate from it, it seems to act only as a little heat sink for the regulator on this. Small aluminium tape was on bottom of the top plate. To allow some coolign for it I cut shrink wrap away where the reg is. If I bother, I might do a little heat shrink for it from beer can btw it works fine, one of my smaller rc-plane esc:s have one, weights next to nothing but does the job.

Next was up FXR:s Chris the Battery mans topic was my great inspiration for this
And yes the wire posts on fxr are a real pia to de-solder! I managed to get one off with soldering iron, but thought that the amount of heat needed was quite big so took my drill out and drilled the rest of them out.
While still separated, soldered wires to them and put some varnish on them. After soldering them together with 2 remaining wire posts, added the new capasitor (25V, 820uF), wires from bec and some more varnish. Then was only left new shrink wrap for it.

Voila`

Also showing the decased and varnished RX, with shrink wrap weights 5g..

Word of warning for working with varnishes. While doing this rx I had different brand to use, it was thinner.. So, when I started to bind it to my new MT-4 it didnt want to work at all, nothing, zip, nada... the button on rx felt like it would work fine.. But after I took out my multimeter and scraped the varnish off from legs of the button, it was confirmed that the varnish had found its way inside the button
But nothing to worry, now instead of button I used 5cm piece of solder to short the button and rx binded right away
Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Great job on that smash! I used C_t_B_m for my inspiration as well. I also found it to be a pita for some of the posts in my fx-r.. I even heated one too much an The little silver square came out an ended up burning one up.. so it was cut posts for the other one. Ur mt-4 rx looks great as well, I'm running the same setup, I really like how easy the motor mixing is with it.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:20 AM   #11
R_2
Pebble Pounder

And some progress going on..

Quote:
I also removed the top board from cc bec.. Its held only by some thermal tape on to the regulator and tight fitting hole onto the little cap on other end.

On top board there is little piece of aluminium tape supposed to act as heat sink.. but I think mine could be more efficient About beer can thicness aluminium glued with 2-compound thermal glue.

That extra tab wraps around the stock "servo plate", and added 2 little drops of CA to the ends of bec. I`ll try to remember to take more pics of it installed when I take the servo off next time..
Quoted that from another topic, lazy as I am
The plans changed a bit from the first version, so I had to extend wires for the bec. Also added micro deans for bec`s power wires, just for maintenace, cause the bec is glued onto its place...

Also got electonics tray from Tomy this week

Trimmed all of the rx wires with new connectors. And dont worry, esc`s red wires are not connected, they are isolated and tucked into empty slot in the connectors, seemed to be the easiest/cleanest way to deal with them.

Also on motor wires there is Graupners G2 bullets.
Electronics are held on the tray with servo tape.

Preliminary RTR weight WO any weights, 1840g. With all steel hardware and allthread-links, CF ant Ti coming there.. Al screws maybe..

First run caused a few extra heartbeats, front came along only after half throttle.. wtf is it, gear mesh, motor problems aarrgh.. But Do`h, I forgot to check ecs` settings
No wonder it didnt work well, throttle curves were 1 and 3

Maybe I`ll have time today to go to our indoor track for first run on the "rocks"
Old 01-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Didn't know you are so handy with the soldering iron. Your electronics shrink job is just pure perfectection.
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:49 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Wow! That's all I can say!

That electronics tray is something else!
Abrown83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
Didn't know you are so handy with the soldering iron. Your electronics shrink job is just pure perfectection.
I think we have to send our electronics to him...
douwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by douwe View Post
I think we have to send our electronics to him...
I'll second that motion! Great job, right down to the braided wires.. great stuff.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Can I ask what the electronics varnish is for?
Abrown83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #17
R_2
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the compliments guys

Many, many cups of coffee at workdesk staring at the pile of stuff, thinking about square blocks into round holes etc

About my soldering skills, old wisdom has worked for me, always keep your tip clean

And for the varnish, just want to protect the electronics from moisture. At comps we have sometimes had some rain, and I want that my rig can handle at least few drops of water.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #18
R_2
Pebble Pounder

Its alive

Indeed we are hosting our indoor comp in three weeks at The Bunker

Yet quite a lot to do before that.. We have order on its way from Fastener express, some aluminium love for screws, and as soon as Tomy stocks up on 4mm Ti rod, lower links are taking shape.
Upper CF links are on to-do list, as well as some lead weights... And some experiments with foams etc etc...

I am starting to really like the MT-4 Throttle controls front/rear is simply awesome with the lever.. And after a while when the fifth joint to my left thumb have started to grow it will be even more awesome
Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #19
R_2
Pebble Pounder

Some updates..

First, thanks to Tomy for organizing our order for aluminium screws

Weight is dropping...

All screws in steering are still steel.

Then some more CF.. 3mm solid carbon rod.

All-thread uppers vs cf

My erlier test version seemed to hold up pretty well so I`m confident that these will be ok. Straight pull from the linkends holded 30kg ;)

And then time to add some weight

Dlux rear weight holders with casted lead weight, 25g each
Old 02-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Nice diet!

Here's your new panels btw. I think they will finish off the ultra light weight build nicely. What do you think?

Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote

NCD LaaLaa-special XR-2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NCD High Performance Carbon Fiber 2.2 Shafty/Sportsman Chassis Tomy Chassis and Suspension 306 10-10-2014 11:47 AM
Team NCD Su Du One Oz Bruiser Axial AX-10 Scorpion 132 12-21-2013 04:34 PM
NCD SuDu one crawler douwe Videos! 2 11-28-2012 02:36 PM
**SPECIAL** C.I. Wraith Front Electronic Tray - $10 Shipped Worldwide **SPECIAL** Nova's Ark Vendors Electronics 12 09-07-2012 01:29 PM