Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thread

Hey all,

The "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" has inspired me to build a comp crawler rig. I was initially thinking of getting a RTR rig from someone or getting ahold of an XR10 from eBay but I decided why not build from scratch?!?!?! I am completely new to the hobby so the learning curve has and will be steep but I am confident, after browsing this forum, that I will get all the help I need to build a very capable rig!

Ok, to start:

I purchased a Chaotic Crawler's Smash chassis with Ti links (XR10 axles with VP upper link mounts). Well, after ordering this I realized that it wouldn't be exactly easy to source a set of XR10 axles with the VP upper links Luckily, Mammoth told me about a set that were for sale by JDLiles. They were a beautiful set of XR10 axles blinged out with almost all of the VP upgrades (including the front and rear upper link mounts!). So, I purchased them from JDLiles (thanks again for the opportunity Jesse!)

To keep with the rules of the competition, I am starting this build today (well, later today as its just after midnight!).

I will be following this post up with the goodies that just arrived in the mail a couple of days ago!

I am really looking forward to doing this build and involving my young son who is a great little helper! I am also looking forward to input/suggestions from fellow members throughout my build. I am estimating that this build will take me a good couple of months to save up $$$ for the parts, but I will have it done in time for the competition deadline at the very least!

Last edited by cormier33; 09-15-2013 at 08:47 AM.
cormier33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Cormier33's CC Smash Build

Alright, gotta love the crew at Chaotic Crawler's! My Smash chassis and Ti links arrived quickly and were packaged beautifully! I will be putting it together later today and will soon be ordering the Ti Link Sliders and Ti steering Tierod for this chassis!

Attached Images

Old 09-15-2013, 01:34 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

JDLiles, did a great job of packing and sending these XR10 axles to me!

Here is a little more information on them:

-XR10 front and rear axles
-VP Rear upper mount link
-VP Front upper mount link
-VP CHubs
-VP incision lockouts
-VP Knuckles
-VP Front gear case
-VP Rear gear case
-VP Front motor plate
-VP Rear motor plate
-VP Knuckle weights
-CBRB Titanium rear shaft
-RC4WD Hardended gears (front)
-RC4WD Hardened gears (rear)
-Blue Monkey Lockout weights (not shown in picture)

My plan is to completely disassemble these axles, clean, inspect bearings, grease and re-assemble. Again, I am a complete newbie (but am quite mechanically inclined) so feel free to add comments regarding this. I've already been told to be very careful with putting the right bolts/screws in the proper areas.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2013, 01:37 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Alright....that's what I have to work with at this point. My next order will be wheels and shocks:

-DLUX FAB 2.2 CF BL wheels
-Big Bore Shocks (3.5", lathed with cap mod)
-Revo Rod Ends
-Mini T-Springs

Oh, and of course it goes without saying that I will be putting VooDoo tires on this rig!!! (Thanks again for such wonderful vendor support for providing two free tires for entering this build competition and two free tires for ordering a CC chassis!!!!)

I will post additional pictures after I am done assembling the chassis and re-assembling the axles
Old 09-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thr

looks like a great start!
Jake Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Default Re: Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thr

Welcome to the Smash club. Let us know if you need any setup tips once you get to that point.
paystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

While you are working on the rear axle do the 2 bolt mod. Helps stopping gear popping.
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Very nice list of goodies and not waisting time. Keep up the great work.

Rob
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks everyone for the comments and idea about doing the bolt mod.

Today I had an opportunity to put the Chaotic Crawler's smash chassis together. Wow, it went together so easily! Thanks to CC for great packaging and the instructions on their website!
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Looks good!!! But your cab is on backwards...lol Very easy chassis to assemble and can't wait to see how it turns out for you!!!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #11

Very nice list of parts! Can't wait to see you out on the rocks !

Mike's winter series is just around the corner! Hope to see you out there soon bud.
brettd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
RCC Addict

So thought I would give this one a bump and see if you have made any progrss on your build...
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Looking good man.

I know you'll love it and if you ever need any advice or tips we (us and our team) are here for you.

Thank you for the support and I look forward to seeing you finish it.

I can't wait till my son is old enought to do an actual build with me.
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Crawlers View Post
Looking good man.

I know you'll love it and if you ever need any advice or tips we (us and our team) are here for you.

Thank you for the support and I look forward to seeing you finish it.

I can't wait till my son is old enought to do an actual build with me.
Yes the chaotic guy and there drivers are awesome to deal with very helpfull
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Sorry about the lack of updates everyone. I've been traveling with work and haven't had an opportunity to do much. I did order my VooDoo tires while I was away and I am just needing some time to do a rebuild of the axles. Then, once I have the funds:

-DLUX FAB 2.2 CF BL wheels
-Big Bore Shocks (3.5", lathed with cap mod)
-Revo Rod Ends
-Mini T-Springs

I do have a question, if you take a look at my 3rd post (last picture of the axles) you can see the tie rod and I noticed that the axle has been shaved to allow full articulation of the tie rod. Now, I am looking at getting the CC Titanium 3/16" tie rod. I know their website says you only get the bent version if your axles are fully clocked (these are not, not yet at least) but I'm wondering if I should get the bent version to allow for more room so that I wouldn't need to worry about the tie rod hitting the axle? Or am I misunderstanding what the bent version actually does? Regardless, I was thinking of ordering new axle bottoms to freshen things up a bit and I was going to do the bolt mod at the same time.

Let me know what you guys think and any input you have.

Thanks again!
Old 10-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

The straight tie rod is good for full clocked slots in the chubs.. the bent tie rod is for if you plan on modding the chubs to run them a spline past fully clocked. That way it stays up in the axle.

So of you don't mod the chubs, ur good with straight..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
The straight tie rod is good for full clocked slots in the chubs.. the bent tie rod is for if you plan on modding the chubs to run them a spline past fully clocked. That way it stays up in the axle.

So of you don't mod the chubs, ur good with straight..
Thanks for the reply. So, no reason for me to get the bent versions. Will the smaller diameter allow for me not to have to shave the lower axle half or will I still need to do that?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #18
RCC Addict

From your pic of the front axle, it looks like they've already taken out the portion that the stock XR tierod slides in. You might want to trim it up a bit just for aesthetics.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormier33 View Post
Thanks for the reply. So, no reason for me to get the bent versions. Will the smaller diameter allow for me not to have to shave the lower axle half or will I still need to do that?
The thinner tie rod just save's weight and give alittle more clearance.
YOu will still need to shave the bottom.
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

You don't Have to Shave the bottom axle housing...

As mentioned, you do have to Cut the area that the stock "tie rod" part slides thru tho..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hittman's SMASH Build Hittman Axial XR10 994 02-28-2015 09:21 AM
Chaotic Smash/Dlux Superlite axle build thread Chaotic Crawlers EnRoute Berg 146 04-21-2014 08:43 AM
***Paystin go Smash*** paystin Axial XR10 136 02-10-2014 08:43 PM
Ricky's Smash Build... Ricky G EnRoute Berg 15 09-05-2013 10:49 PM
Electronics smash showtime90 Axial XR10 8 05-20-2013 09:49 PM