Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Which Knuckle Weights for my XR 10?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Which Knuckle Weights for my XR 10?

Im sure this is a loaded question but which knuckle weights should I get for my xr10 Switch; the VP or the Blue Monkey? Both look awesome and im sure are well made. I plan on ordering a set tomorrow sometime along with a Blue Monkey electronics plate and a Chaotic Tie rod. I love all the other vp goodies I have purchased but also like the look of the bm weights too plus its something different. whats the weight difference between the two with no add on weights? It dosent say on the bm website. I wont be able to afford any of the add on weights probably for another week or two but desperately need some extra gravity in the front as I have none now that I took off my stock xr wheels with their internal wheel weights and installed my vp slw's in their place. so needless to say she doesn't climb very well without flipping backwards. also keep in mind im a novice to crawling at best. so far I have the vp 350 hubs up front and my 475's in the tail. so when I do get some add ons it wont be many but I also plan on ordering some different size hubs in the future for tuning purposes.

Last edited by J-Fish; 03-21-2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: changed a few misspelled words
J-Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Default Re: Which Kuckle Weights form my XR 10?

Which knuckles do you have? That'll make a difference. I personally like running the VP Wraith knucks on my XR with the RCBros weight system.

If you're running VP XR knucks...I'd say either Dlux or VP. Not a fan of the Blue Monkey stuff I've seen.

As far as weight differences...not sure. I know the Dlux main weight is 2oz & fits TIGHT.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Which Knuckle Weights for my XR 10?

I have the Vp xr10 knuckles. I also have the axial aluminum knuckles but I took those off. didn't even know about the Dlux ones I will go check those out before I make my decision. I do like the fact that the bm ones u can just add on the extra rings at the bottom and not the top if you don't want to but other then that idk. the vp ones look to be a bit heavier which is fine by me I need weight up front badly. I tried crawling some steep rocks the other day with it and it just kept flipping backwards on me. but then again that was before I put my switch chassis on it and my big bores and some of the other upgrades I have bought recently.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I went with the RC Bros weights as I like the design more than the VP stuff. You can order full or half rings for them as well!

Jake
Jakerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

What's ur full setup? Do you have pics?
Dlux XR weights or weight holders.. VP weights are huge, at 3.25 oz at best. I think 3.4 oz with the screws to the knuckles. I cut the top of mine an still 2.5 oz. There is a ton of setup for the switch that limits the amount of weight you need for forward bias. I'm running the Dlux weights with the top cut off, so like 1.25 oz per side on my switch. Bm tho they may be diff, they would be nice If... Well, I'll leave it there..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Check out the Switch build threads here. There's a few listed as Switch Zero wich is just the lighter version but will get you close on setup. There's other things you can do besides adding weight to the front end to control the front lifting...DEPENDING on some variables like overall RTR weight, bias, link position, shock position, springs, oil etc etc etc.

If ya wanna post up whatever info you can...we'll get ya thru this. Post up a LOT of pics, weight, length, width, shock & link info. If ya just throw weight on the nose until it climbs the way you want...you can easily end up with a 10lb rig.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Vanquish products.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

RC Bros
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I like RC Bros. They have a good price and easy to add more weight or take it off. I think you can get more for your money with RC Bros knuckle weights. But that is just my 2 cents.
Diablo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

It really depends on how much weight he's going to need and what type of wheel/hub setup he's running. I've had every set made on by bench at one time or another and can say they all fit great and work as intended. I would say if your rig is going to be 4.5lbs or more that going with the VP weights wouldn't be a problem and if you chose to go lighter later on you can always modify the VP weights to reduce their weight. The DLux weights work well with the XR knuckles and have more than enough options to tune for rigs of just about any weight. The RCBros is my new favorite setup since they're being produced here in the US so they show up quicker now and they work really well with the lighter trucks...let's say 4.5lbs or less.

Depending on which wheels and hubs you're using you may or may not be able to get enough weight on there with the RCBros setup...so be sure to check into that
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
It really depends on how much weight he's going to need and what type of wheel/hub setup he's running. I've had every set made on by bench at one time or another and can say they all fit great and work as intended. I would say if your rig is going to be 4.5lbs or more that going with the VP weights wouldn't be a problem and if you chose to go lighter later on you can always modify the VP weights to reduce their weight. The DLux weights work well with the XR knuckles and have more than enough options to tune for rigs of just about any weight. The RCBros is my new favorite setup since they're being produced here in the US so they show up quicker now and they work really well with the lighter trucks...let's say 4.5lbs or less.

Depending on which wheels and hubs you're using you may or may not be able to get enough weight on there with the RCBros setup...so be sure to check into that
I did not know about the RC Bros weights either. I really like the different mounting options you get with them. I would say im either gonna go with rc bros or vanquish now that I have seen these. I am currently running vp 475 hubs in rear and vp 350 in front but still plan on buying more hubs in the future so I can have more tuning options. With my current hubs how much weight can I add to the front end with the rc bros setup vs the vp setup? I also havnt decided how light I want to go I pretty much wanna be at or under 4 1/2 pounds in the future.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

At ur wanted weight, Dlux is ur. Best bet for a second choice with the rcBros holder. Unless ur. Like me an don't mind hacking the top off .. that's just me tho. Check the switch threads out. vp is alot of weight..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I went with the rc bros. Bought the weight holders and a few sets of both the full weight rings and the half ring weights. Also ordered longer servo arm. Went to my first comp today in northshore knoxville tn. It was a blast I learned alot
Old 03-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Does anyone know if the rc bros knuckle weights I ordered recently come with any hardware or if not will any of the stock screws that came with my xr10 kit work?
Old 03-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

No hardware. The holes are taped 3mm.
Diablo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo666 View Post
No hardware. The holes are taped 3mm.
Ok then if im not mistaken some of the screws that came with the xr 10 should work because im pretty sure some are 3mm. If not guess i will just order some
Old 04-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #17
RcBros Hobbies

Depending on your setup, you can re-use your knuckle steering arm screws to secure both items. You will need 3mm screws to secure the weights. Usually, everything I sell comes with some hardware, however being that there are so many variables in ones setup I cannot supply hardware without guessing. For future reference, if you know what you need, post it up in the notes section and I'll include them. A couple screws isn't going to hurt the budget :p
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcBro View Post
Depending on your setup, you can re-use your knuckle steering arm screws to secure both items. You will need 3mm screws to secure the weights. Usually, everything I sell comes with some hardware, however being that there are so many variables in ones setup I cannot supply hardware without guessing. For future reference, if you know what you need, post it up in the notes section and I'll include them. A couple screws isn't going to hurt the budget :p
Cool thanks I just got them in today . . . Love em. Just put them on and used some leftover screws from my original xr10 kit. Tried three half rings and one whole ring on each side (1.75 oz per side) because 475 is the biggest hubs I have at the moment for my vp slw's. Ordered some 725 hubs lastnight from vp too though. Then I can try adding the other pair of whole rings I ordered. Was glad to see I could mount a half weight ring on the inside of each knuckle. Very nice product
Old 02-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

This is a question is for RC Bros: On your site you say your knuckle weight holder system fits VP and Wraith knuckles. My XR-10 axles use Axial's Stage 1 aluminum upgrade kit for the axles. Will your system work for the knuckles on my rig? I have a Ridgecrest and noticed the Wraith knuckles seem to be the same as the XR-10. I'm a very unhappy victim of another company's knuckle weight system and by what I see in the pics at your site for the holders, I will have better success with your system using my Vanquish SLWs with .475 hubs. Am I right?
ClovisCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #20
RcBros Hobbies

Replied to your e-mail, however you are going to be wanting our stock style XR10 weight holders. Due to its design, you are limited to our half weights, however this is often better as it keeps the weight as low as possible. RCBros » RcBros Stock XR10 Style Weight Holder
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote

Which Knuckle Weights for my XR 10? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new form the uk lurch Newbie General 3 02-13-2012 12:34 AM
Live weights vs static weights (aka bearings vs stick-ons) sim Newbie General 0 08-20-2009 08:30 PM
ready to upgrade axle'c and aluminum kuckle Q? iwantoffroad Tamiya TLT Crawlers 18 10-24-2007 11:41 AM
form iraq alterchristopher Chit Chat 8 03-12-2006 04:29 PM