RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial XR10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/)
-   -   xr10 ideas for fullsize lipo usage (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/478463-xr10-ideas-fullsize-lipo-usage.html)

MikeMontgomery1970 01-14-2014 11:06 PM

xr10 ideas for fullsize lipo usage

I've got a xr10 in excellent shape, and hate the small lipos it has to use. I've been wanting to turn it into a moa trail rig. But have found any great ways to do so with the box stock chassis.
So I'm wanting to find out any way to take the xr10 axles and links and use them on a better suited chassis. What would the newer deadbolt chassis do for it or what may be a better choice?

Curcal 01-15-2014 12:33 AM

Re: xr10 ideas for fullsize lipo usage

If thats your plan it doesnt matter what chassis you use. You could even go scx10 if you wanted.

MikeMontgomery1970 01-15-2014 05:51 AM

I had thought about using the scx10 chassis as well. Just wasnt sure how well it would work with the moa stuff. I did mess with it and a spare scx frame once a few months ago, but the way it set, made the links bind some, and ran the shocks into the inner sidewall of the front tires when slightly steered left or right. I may try it again with a different setup on the linkages and shocks. I like the scx frame alot better than a deadbolt chassis anyday. Just wanting to be able to run a regular size lipo with it. Im not much on the smaller style comp crawler lipos. I want to turn it into a trail rig over a comp crawler. Thats pretty much the idea with me asking the question. What frame and or setup to run a full size 2s or 3s lipo. The stock xr10 is not friendly to bigger lipos at all. So thats where I am at right now. Just trying to find the best solution to fit my purpose of trailing/crawling better. It might have been the scx trans plate isnt right for the xr10 linkages. But theres a way I just havent seen it yet is all.
Thanks for the reply Curcal.

Curcal 01-15-2014 08:30 AM

Sounds like a custom build all the way. With your intentions you wont be fitting in any sort of regulated class (scale or comp) so you have no requirement for a wheel base.

What size battery were you looking to fit? When I first started I was running 1350mah 3s. This battery easily fit on a rowdy racing front axle battery mount. And I could get 30min or so out of that.

Curcal 01-15-2014 08:32 AM

Oh btw with stock wheels and knuckles its very easy to turn the tires into the shocks. Set your caster back one notch and this will help a little bit.

Cope 01-15-2014 09:33 AM

I run the Chaotic Crawlers Switch chassis and my Rhino 3Cell 1850mah 50c slide right in. I would not use it for hardcore crawling as it puts the CG up kinda high but it will still crawl.

SINister 01-15-2014 10:31 AM

There's a build in the bully section, can't remember the title but it's not too old, were the guy put gen1 bully axles on a wraith chassis. It's pretty bad ass looking.

MikeMontgomery1970 01-15-2014 09:47 PM

The battery i was wanting to try and run on trails with it is a 5000MaH rated 65c lipo pack. I use them in other trail trucks and really like the run times that they get. Yes Ive noticed on the stock chassis the tires will catch the shock springs pretty hard when turning full. SO ive done that rotation on the chubs. It helps out.

MikeMontgomery1970 01-15-2014 09:50 PM

I will take a look into the bully section and see what that deal looks like and what it entails to do it or something close. Was thinking of getting a custom chassis done up for the MOA axles, and get it to where i can use a regular sized 2s or 3s lipo in the 5000Mah range or bigger. I like to go on longer trail hikes here where i live. Helps me out alot on the medical side, and gets fun.

Cope 01-16-2014 09:04 AM

5000 Mah is a huge battery for a Moa crawler!
I did see on here where someone built a military style trailer hitch (articulating hitch) and trailer just to carry a large trail running battery.

Honestly tho I think a small backpack with a few beers a few batts and a cell checker is all you need. This way if the truck breaks it just goes in the pack and dont gotta be carried all the way home and the truck will still work, drive as designed.

jebster 01-16-2014 09:59 AM

here is one that popped up when you search the xr10 forum.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...h-battery.html

jado6006 01-20-2014 01:08 PM

Think you boys are missing the point. He wants to build a trail rig. Not a comp crawler with a bigass pack. That being the case, i'd say ditch the xr diffs & get scx ones. This doesn't seem as much like a custom build, as it does a dude that has one thing & is trying to turn it into what he really wants, an scx. Trade it, or sell it dude, you'll thank me later.8)

trig n tahoe 01-22-2014 09:39 PM

lol love my xr as a trail rig, but i do run 1300's my bro's hate when i break it out. all lit up with rock lights,thing kills it, but you don't need all that juice unless your racing! in that case a traxxis.

OFFROADRCKOREA 01-23-2014 07:29 PM

Honestly just get an scx or a wraith unless you have a ton of time to modify and trouble shoot. Your also looking at alot more parts for those platforms vs. the XR axles, not to mention you could sell those axles for double what your going to pay for the SCX. My buddy did a build like your talking about here.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...lly-beast.html
video here
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2k6TEwYKO6w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Dswt01YgKfo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
ORK

MikeMontgomery1970 01-24-2014 12:52 PM

I apologize for not being on here to check my thread. I do have four scx10 trucks, and a custom MattZilla Jeep as well. The reason Ive posted asking about a chassis setup is Ive got enough scx10 stuck, and its fun I can agree. But I just want to do something different from the normal xr10 comp style building. Mine is a super nice rig and crawls super nice. Just not into comp style crawling or the small lipos either. So I figured Id see what all a person can do to switch it up and use a regular size Lipo, to power it for trail style runs and crawl sessions.
Ive got time to fidgit and mess with it. Thats not a issue. I like the ideas the guy did on his bully axle scx truck. Pretty cool. I want to figure a way to set up the axles with a tube frame or a scx frame, and have it still be the MOA setup. I figure I may just get Lue from MattZilla rc to tig me a chassis just for my needs and go that way over a scx frame though. Will see and once I have a chassis better figured, I will do a actual build thread on it.
I appreciate the replies from everyone. Glad to finally see the videos of the scx/Bully truck in action!

nervus 02-05-2014 11:59 PM

Hi,
I repacked a 2800Mah NiMH battery into 2 saddles, dipped them in plastidip and then attached them to the front axle.

You can see how it looks here.

Hope it gives you some ideas too :)