Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Am I too late to get into XR10 comping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 10:08 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Am I too late to get into XR10 comping?

For those stripped out bolts search for the "brass insert mod" there are some thread inserts you can get from McMaster Carr that work great . I think the user that first did this mod was "4x4ford"
markfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by J5races View Post
I'm in the same boat. I bought am xr10 new to build up around Christmas and had a hell of time finding the VP stuff I wanted. I have everything in order and most of it showed up for sale here in classifieds.

Erik at Dlux is awesome and will make custom links for steering and chassis. Keep an eye for used chassis here In classified section.

I just got a Sniper amd Erik made me some sweet 1/8" titanium uppers and 3/16" lowers.

I think I bought the last two chaotic crawlers steering links last week. Bummer he is done...

Great guys on here.

VP told me if there is enough demand they would remKe some items. If we all send an email and tell them we still want xr10 stuff, who knows.

Jon
Funny thing here, I actually email Vanquish asking if there were any leftovers laying in a box somewhere and gave him a brief rundown of my situation. About 20 minutes later one of the co-owners of VP actually called my at my shop and we talked on the phone for a few minutes. I was rather baffled that an RC aftermarket gawd called little ol me. He said that he was going to dig around for something, but he never found anything.
Conflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:55 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfw View Post
For those stripped out bolts search for the "brass insert mod" there are some thread inserts you can get from McMaster Carr that work great . I think the user that first did this mod was "4x4ford"
Unfortunately the screws that are stripped out are the ones holding the c's and lockouts on. I bought a set of replacement axles last night on eBay. I'll start new and go from there.

As far as the classifieds I actually found a BJ V4 with a full set of titanium links for a damn good price and bought it on the spot as well. With all your guys help and the awesomeness of this forum, I'll be in business in no time.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

I do have a tricky question that I don't know the answer to though. The XR I bought came with an FXR Pro and a Punk Dig, I am definitely going to do dual esc's, what I was wondering is do I have to buy another FXR Pro, or can I just buy the standard FXR? I really don't want to have to pay the extra money for pro version when I really don't need it.

I've also been eyeballing Holmes Hobbies Dual 'smashed' ecs set up, does anybody here have any real world experience with that set up? I love how small of a footprint and lightweight they seem to be.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #25
RCC Addict

You should be fine with a regular fxr.

The holmes br minis have been a favorite for many of my fellow byb drivers. Im waiting for an opportunity to buy a set for my self.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:58 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflict View Post
I do have a tricky question that I don't know the answer to though. The XR I bought came with an FXR Pro and a Punk Dig, I am definitely going to do dual esc's, what I was wondering is do I have to buy another FXR Pro, or can I just buy the standard FXR? I really don't want to have to pay the extra money for pro version when I really don't need it.

I've also been eyeballing Holmes Hobbies Dual 'smashed' ecs set up, does anybody here have any real world experience with that set up? I love how small of a footprint and lightweight they seem to be.
I just bought the dual smushed br minis and HH 13t crawlers "red label"

Last edited by THX_138; 01-28-2014 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Typos
J5races is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

I have a TF2 that I apparently over waterproofed the FXR that I have in it, and it burned up. So I need 2 FXR's on for the XR and one for the TF2, I was thinking about throwing the FXR Pro from the XR into the TF2 and getting a set of the BR Mini's. I email Holmes Hobbies about them trying to dig up any real world experience. They offered all the information about the product but not much experience. So I thought I would ask around here. I'm thinking with the BJ V4 chassis on the way its going to be in my best interest to get as compact as possible.

Is there any reason what so ever that after I get dual ESC's in my XR that I should keep the Punk Dig in there as well? I wouldn't think so but I have seen in some peoples builds where they have 2 esc's and a dig switch. Why exactly would they do that?
Old 01-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Is there any reason what so ever that after I get dual ESC's in my XR that I should keep the Punk Dig in there as well? I wouldn't think so but I have seen in some peoples builds where they have 2 esc's and a dig switch. Why exactly would they do that?

If you run dual esc's there is no need for a punk dig.
Never seen dual esc's and a punk dig in a rig so I cant touch that one.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

I really didn't figure it was at all necessary. That is why I was shocked to see some folks had that in their setup.

Hey Curcal: Dumb question for you, What is a BYB driver?
Old 01-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #30
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Depends on how they hooked up their ESCs. If they were using a radio with no channel mixing, and just threw both ESCs on a Y-harness, both of those would run in the same throttle channel on their receiver, and run a Punk dig (after-ESC) to de-power one axle. Or run a Novak 'The Dig' (pre-ESC dig).

On a Punk-style dig, basically the (typically) front ESC would just be connected to the front motor and always power it, no ability to turn it off. The rear would go through their Punk dig same as before. When they select 'front only' on their dig, since there's no front ESC it would just shut off the rear ESC. Their front ESC doesn't run through dig, so it would remain on. The dig, in their case, would then be used solely as an interrupter switch.

If they were using a Novak 'The Dig', it would work as advertised, and shut off signal to one ESC or the other.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

That makes sense, without the extra channel available that will get them closer to being able to utilize the esc's better.

So, now all I need to do is sell off my Punk dig, and get a set of BR mini's and off to the rocks I go!! WHEEE!!!
Old 01-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

for the money you cant go wrong with sw micros... hh sells them for $45... that's $25 cheaper than a br mini, less than half the price of an fxr... and arguably the same performance.

I have been running sw micros since they came out and have never been disappointed
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

VP currently has 8 front upper link mounts in stock.

Just run two front axles, put in HD motor plates, HD gears and your in business!

The stock axle shafts hold up great.
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Oh man I never even thought of that!! You can run a front axle in the rear? Just put the lockout and inner axle shafts in?
Old 01-27-2014, 07:40 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Yeah, and a front output shaft from the trans to the upper link mount. I recommend running the axial Ti version, then have the end at the link mount turned down to 3mm. Check out my build thread in my signature
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rry View Post
for the money you cant go wrong with sw micros... hh sells them for $45... that's $25 cheaper than a br mini, less than half the price of an fxr... and arguably the same performance.
I agree: For the money, you can't go wrong....

Arguably... The performance just isn't there.. imo, and heard it plenty. They are on or off..

To me, the SWM's performance is like having a punk dig, compared to the other 2 options..
HH is out of SWM, as of yesterday. so lets go off the cheapest on the Bay(56-58$ shipped). now ur at 112$ shipped for a low bottom esc and have to smash it and wire em.. for 38$ more you can get the Br's ready to drop in..

Then the idea of having the only esc on the market, specifically made/designed for a crawler. The wire in the boards are thicker, for full juice from the battery. Smaller, more crawler settings, hands down better customer service..

As for the fxr, I found them to have the lowest throttle, smoothest, earliest mixing of all 3. They are bigger, the least solid drag brake/hold power and pricey. Was/is the most reliable of esc's I have used but then again the br mini's are newer and still in my rig. So they may outlast the fxr's. (still have the fxr's on back up in a plug in play manner, if ever needed)
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Welcome aboard!! For replacement parts TowerHobbies/ Great Planes still has a full complement of stock and option parts available. I got spooked a little a while back and my LHS ordered me in some parts. I have 2 each of front and rear axle housings just to have. No worries for a while i would say
losiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
I agree: For the money, you can't go wrong....

Arguably... The performance just isn't there.. imo, and heard it plenty. They are on or off..

To me, the SWM's performance is like having a punk dig, compared to the other 2 options..
HH is out of SWM, as of yesterday. so lets go off the cheapest on the Bay(56-58$ shipped). now ur at 112$ shipped for a low bottom esc and have to smash it and wire em.. for 38$ more you can get the Br's ready to drop in..

Then the idea of having the only esc on the market, specifically made/designed for a crawler. The wire in the boards are thicker, for full juice from the battery. Smaller, more crawler settings, hands down better customer service..

As for the fxr, I found them to have the lowest throttle, smoothest, earliest mixing of all 3. They are bigger, the least solid drag brake/hold power and pricey. Was/is the most reliable of esc's I have used but then again the br mini's are newer and still in my rig. So they may outlast the fxr's. (still have the fxr's on back up in a plug in play manner, if ever needed)
If I read your post correctly, you are recommending the Br mini's? It sounds like you are running a pair, do you like them? I have ran several FXR's and have always been rather impressed, but recently fried one with a 2.2 Turnigy 3S playing around the house with my TF2. So now I am kind of skeptical about FXR's now.

I have read a bunch on the SWM's and a bunch of guys here are running them. I can't find a lot of info on the Br Mini's but one thing Holmes Hobbies ESC's are known for is handling big power. I don't anticipate running anything over more than my 850 mah 3S Gens Ace batteries, but the motors that I am looking to buy are going to want all the power they can get, and I am not very light on the throttle sometimes, so the real reason I am leaning towards the HH esc's is because of their power distributing reputation.

T3rry: Do you like the SWM's? Do they have good programming options?

Really I am on the fence either way. I just want to do it once and make sure I do it right. I am highly impressed with HH actually paying attention to what the market is doing and really bending over to make with the consumers want, actually decasing, soldering, and wrapping up a set of ESC's is brilliant. Any novice can step right into a professional esc set up with it, I appreciate good business tactics, and knowing that they are actually looking to see with the crawlers are doing/wanting/needing.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Although i do respect winnerone23's opinion, when the product they are preaching is also a sponsor of theirs i tend to take the opinion/comments seem a little less unbiased.

I have seen several of the br mini's ripped out of trucks on the spot because they were causing so many issues, brownouts, glitching, i know Holmes is good for making things right, i run his puller motors and various other items, but i don't believe the br mini is the game changing solution it's being made out to be.. simply my unbiased opinion.

the Swm's are just as programmable as every other castle esc, i would not hesitate to recommend the sw micros, like i said, i have been running them for a long time and never seen one glitch, or fail, in any way, other than installer failure.

Last edited by T3rry; 01-28-2014 at 08:30 AM.
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

I thought I did pretty good bein unbiased.. even leaned on the fxr a little more then the other 2, I thought..

With any product, specially new ones, they all have their glitches, failures, and problems.
Performance wise, I put the SWM at the bottom.
I'm not bias or throwing opinions around, these are my experiences with all 3.
I have ran over a dozen fxr's in all my diff rigs, I bought most used and have put them thru a a$$ whopping! From 2s on 45t to 4s with a 17t.. right up in till the endbell blew off the motor! Yes, it was a HH torquemaster pro, not crawlmaster. In all of that, I only ever had one fxr die and it just shut off, like lvc kicked in, but never turned back on. (oops, and the one that just fried in my scx, 4s with a HH 30t) but I think more was at play then just the fxr..

As for the brownouts/glitches, most of what I read the fix in that was a better/higher C rated battery, not the esc.

I have only had my mini's for a couple comps and a good bit if practice(couple packs a day at minimum) without issue and really starting to enjoy them.

I'm a crawler first and team driver second. Team drivers aren't out to put a bad product in ur rig, just cause we are team drivers. (which has only been a short period of time and most of my experience with the products was before hand.)
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Am I too late to get into XR10 comping? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many are still comping...... brettd Axial XR10 14 02-05-2013 09:21 AM
anyone comping 1.9 anymore metalking Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 11-15-2012 10:42 AM
Getting into comping. New XR10 neoakaj Axial XR10 11 11-08-2011 10:42 AM
XR-10 or AX-10 for comping minnesotamudder Newbie General 20 09-01-2010 08:15 PM
Comping w/ R1 (anyone) snwchris G-Made Crawlers 6 08-06-2010 12:42 PM