Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Am I too late to get into XR10 comping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: Am I too late to get into XR10 comping?

Couldn't agree more T3rry

The 2 things I had a issue with on the sidewinders was drag brake was just ok and I found they lacked alittle power compaired to the FXR's or the Mini's

I also have seen many issue's with the mini's as well

the one issue i'm having with the mini is front wheel stall when turning hard not to bad on my truck but acouple other guys in the club are real bad.

Winnerone23 Strange you say it has something to do with the C rating.
As i'm running the 450 gen-ace 25C with not much issue while another that is running a 350 thunder power 70C is having loads of issues with stalling.

Last edited by chevotafun; 01-28-2014 at 09:58 AM.
chevotafun is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2014, 11:11 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

^^^ agreed...

As for the C rating, its just what I read. You know, "everything you read on the internet, Has to be true" lol..

The other guys running the gen ace in the club haven't had problems either.. dunno, the gens ace seem to be a heck of a battery purchase! I just haven't been able to get any yet.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Yes they seem to be holding up to the abuse i put them through,
I put in almost as much time as you do

Around 2/3 batteries a night
Mind you i have my own test pile in the garage that make's testing and tuning a lot easier than running 45 mins away to are normal spot.

have had these one's for about a year now with no issue's
still hold a good charge and still balance good,

Got 10 more coming lol

Hobbypartz is where i have been getting mine and dam cheap too
around 5 bucks a pack
At that price you can't go wrong.

Last edited by chevotafun; 01-28-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #44

I was in the same boat too purchased a new XR10 kit on ebay back in December and just now finished my build. I did not know that wraith knuckles fit the XR10 so I made my own or modified my axial aluminum one's..lol
superduty6.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Dammit, now I'm in even worse of a predicament. SWM's or HH's??? I sure do appreciate the heck out of everyone's opinions here. Now its a toss up between which route to go.

How about a poll to all the rccrawler forum members reading this. What would you go with Sidewinder Micro's or Holmes Hobbies BR Mini's? I am not at all doing this to start fights or anything, I am just trying to point myself in the right direction, everybody here has good experience and wisdom, and I need some of that now to determine my best course of action.

Thank you all. I will tally the votes up and go with whomever receives the most votes.
Conflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

The brownouts are simply the packs going below the low voltage cutoff, so the ESC shuts down for a moment. Some have less of an issue with it because they are running tamer motors, that simply don't require the amps that cause it. Typically the smaller packs, even the higher C rating ones can't handle the loads.

Solutions, use bigger Mah packs and/or turn the low voltage cutoff off (be sure to install a warning system like Fast Eddy sells).

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

I am going to be running Holmes Hobbies Puller 500 Crawl Crawler motor. I am assuming they are going to require a fair amount of juice?
Old 01-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

I just ran my first pack thru a set of 13t 500's.. WOW!
After a few more packs ill have more to say on the bats.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:50 PM   #49
RCC Addict

I haven't run the HH mini or FXR esc but my swm have been going strong for over a year now. The drag brake was so strong that I had to dial it down because the truck would jerk to a stop when you let off the throttle. Even on carpet the drag brake will hold.

Some of the local guys that have run both the swm and fxr have said the fxr had more punch with the same setup.

A few months ago I started having problems with the rear stalling and at first I thought the motors needed cut but the solution was replacing my two year old gens ace batts. They were simply worn out so I don't think it's so much the C rating, since they were fine at 25c, but the condition of the batt. I replaced them with the zippy compact 500mah 35c and so far have been happy with my new cheap batts. Hopefully they will last as long as my gens ace.

Having said all that if I was going to buy new esc now I would go with the HH minis. I have no doubt they are good esc and not having to do the smash yourself while voiding the warranty at the same time would be worth a few extra dollars.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:22 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Yeah there are a lot of reasons why my fingers keep pointing to the HH BR mini set up. When I was looking around earlier, (well before bringing up there topic in here) I just perused the forums and read up on what others had. I went to the SWM's website to read up on them and the main reason I continued looking elsewhere is because nowhere in the description of the SWM does it mention that they have a drag brake --> Castle Creations | Sidewinder Micro

I see now (from what forum members say) that they do in fact have drag brake, but I think it would be a wise move on Castle's decision to add something of the sorts to the description.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #51
RCC Addict

The swm wasn't meant to be a crawler esc. It would be a liability for castle to promote the esc as something that was never part of it's original design. The drag brake is covered in the manual though. When I need info on something I go for the manual never the sales page

Having parts made specifically for crawling is rare so were lucky to have vendors who support us because larger companies see us as a non profitable niche market.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #52
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
I just ran my first pack thru a set of 13t 500's.. WOW!
After a few more packs ill have more to say on the bats.
You should love those motors
that's what i'm running and couldn't be happier with them.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I am flat out sold on the HH BR mini's.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

I run my dual swm equipped xr with a buddy & his hh mini equipped xr. Side by side, pack after pack. Both rigs are pretty dialed. Both run the usual 450-500mah 3s packs also. Guess what? Both rigs perform, & then some. No differences worth mentioning. Other than the hh's being able to run 4s, of course. My swm's will flip the bitch over if my drag brake gets hicked up. Same with his. I can't even tell ya much on the difference in the throttle response. They feel about the same to me. Very smooth. Fact is, i think whichever you pick, is gonna suit you just fine.
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Cool, thank you for your advice. Thank you all for your advice. Now I have a question about tires. It's clearly obvious that boss claws, and other pin type tires are the tire of choice around here. I have been trying to run them while practicing and its not going so well. I live in the Pacific NW and everything is always a bit damp, and the Boss Claws work great until they get just a tiny bit wet. For practicing and general bashing around whats the next best thing? I have in my arsenal already a set of Rock Beast's but, have been looking into the HPI Rock Grabbers. It seems like all of the Canadian guys like to run those.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Hmm.. what's ur foams setup in the BC's? Pin cut pattern? Sidewalls shaved? Red dot compound? I have found my red dot BC's to work on wet rock, then again rock types are diff.

Ppl rave about the voodoo's working in the wet, snow, etc..

I don't know hpi tires..
Old 01-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #57
RCC Addict

Yes the Voodoo's do work on wet rock but imo
the best tire for wet rock are the rovers on the rock we crawl on anyways lol

The HPI do work really well I have never used them myself but acouple guys in our club have.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #58
Pebble Pounder

Since we are talking tires now

Can anyone point me to instructional thread for cut'n'shut
And shaving sidewalls?

I looked through like 150 pages in the tire and wheel section and only found one thread about narrowing and the link to the discussion is dead.

Or is there a member on here who I can buy modded tires from or send my stock ones to be modded?

Thanks
J5races is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflict View Post
Cool, thank you for your advice. Thank you all for your advice. Now I have a question about tires. It's clearly obvious that boss claws, and other pin type tires are the tire of choice around here. I have been trying to run them while practicing and its not going so well. I live in the Pacific NW and everything is always a bit damp, and the Boss Claws work great until they get just a tiny bit wet. For practicing and general bashing around whats the next best thing? I have in my arsenal already a set of Rock Beast's but, have been looking into the HPI Rock Grabbers. It seems like all of the Canadian guys like to run those.

I live in the great state of Oregon and our whole group uses Voodoo tires. We have the best luck with pins tires in wet conditions.
Beerman Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

While i've never run voodoos, i have run the claws. For comps, on certain types of rock, they can't be beat. But they're too specicfic in that regard for me. And on some stuff, it seems they just suck. My siped & shaved rovers are my skin of choice. Tho, i think some cut'n shuts from everetty(hope i was close) are in my near future.
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Am I too late to get into XR10 comping? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many are still comping...... brettd Axial XR10 14 02-05-2013 09:21 AM
anyone comping 1.9 anymore metalking Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 11-15-2012 10:42 AM
Getting into comping. New XR10 neoakaj Axial XR10 11 11-08-2011 10:42 AM
XR-10 or AX-10 for comping minnesotamudder Newbie General 20 09-01-2010 08:15 PM
Comping w/ R1 (anyone) snwchris G-Made Crawlers 6 08-06-2010 12:42 PM