Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Am I too late to get into XR10 comping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 11:39 AM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Am I too late to get into XR10 comping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J5races View Post
Since we are talking tires now

Or is there a member on here who I can buy modded tires from or send my stock ones to be modded?

Thanks
EverettY hands down does the cleanest work and his prices are very reasonable. E.Y. Designs Custom Cut'N'Shut Tire Service!
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #62
RCC Addict

Yes what Calderwood said

There are acouple other guys that used to do them but not sure if they still do like ittybitty or eddie at crawler inovations.

The main guy now is Everetty
But get in line
his line is getting quite long
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Hmm.. what's ur foams setup in the BC's? Pin cut pattern? Sidewalls shaved? Red dot compound? I have found my red dot BC's to work on wet rock, then again rock types are diff.

Ppl rave about the voodoo's working in the wet, snow, etc..

I don't know hpi tires..
I have CI double duece foams now. My company makes custom hospital table pads and stuff, so I actually have access to tons of memory foams and all different density and weights. So I make lots of custom wheel foams. (If anybody wants to try to make your own pm me, we throw gobs of memory foam away all the time, I'd be glad to set folks up with some)
I just copied a cut pattern I seen here on the forum.
I have not shaved the side walls as I don't know how, or what it does yet. That is one of my next projects to figure out.

Voodoo's huh? Thanks!
Conflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by J5races View Post
Since we are talking tires now

Can anyone point me to instructional thread for cut'n'shut
And shaving sidewalls?

I looked through like 150 pages in the tire and wheel section and only found one thread about narrowing and the link to the discussion is dead.

Or is there a member on here who I can buy modded tires from or send my stock ones to be modded?

Thanks
What is "Cut & Shut"

I'd be interested in this info as well
Old 01-30-2014, 12:07 PM   #65
Quarry Creeper

I built a cheepo moa rock crawler using a Redcat RS10 and mounted everything from it to a gmade R1 chassis. (that build is what got me wanting the XR10) Anyway I have a set of rovers on it I guess I should try they might do better, I forgot about that one sitting in the closet. OOPS!
Old 01-30-2014, 12:09 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflict View Post
What is "Cut & Shut"

I'd be interested in this info as well
Did you check out the link in my post above?
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

What size CI foams? 5.25, 5.5"? Soft front, med rear?
Red dot compound? Are the pins cut or are they full tread pattern like they come from the store?

Pics, we Love pics!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
What size CI foams? 5.25, 5.5"? Soft front, med rear?
Red dot compound? Are the pins cut or are they full tread pattern like they come from the store?

Pics, we Love pics!
I already cut them, I was cruising the forums and was reading on a build of some feller that was a team driver. So I tried to copy his to the best of my ability.

They are red dots, and the foams are medium front and rear.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Calderwood: I did check out that post, those are awesome looking tires. So how do you "shave" the side walls? Does that help the tire flex better?
Old 01-30-2014, 07:51 PM   #70
Quarry Creeper

Whoah! Crawl-o-Matic I was on your website today looking at your tires. I was refereed through these guys here. I think I am going to get a set.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

They should work good. With med up front, you should really shave the side walls or atleast cut the side lugs off.

Most used way is a dremel with a sanding drum. Make some nice even strokes till they are smooth. You will be pretty amazed at how it "wakes" the tire up!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:49 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Okay, I was wondering exactly how they shaved them. Yeah I'll try that. In the mean time I bought a set of HPI rock grabbers for a great deal on eBay, and I am going to get a set of Voodoo's too!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:29 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Absolutely nothing wrong with having choices on shoes!

Its definitely part of the fun, learning, and tuning..
Old 01-31-2014, 02:51 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflict View Post
Calderwood: I did check out that post, those are awesome looking tires. So how do you "shave" the side walls? Does that help the tire flex better?
I use my 4"grinder with a 80 grit flap disk to sand down the sidewalls. A lot faster than a dremel but it can get away from you too so be careful.

VooDoos are an awesome tire. Im running silvers with 6" CI DD foams with soft up front and med in the rear. My rig weighs about 4.5 pounds too though.

IMO the 5.5's are too small and make the tire too soft. You need the tire a little firmer to make them pins work
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:25 PM   #75
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
EverettY hands down does the cleanest work and his prices are very reasonable. E.Y. Designs Custom Cut'N'Shut Tire Service!
I made him a jig... that's why

For those wonder cut n shut means you enlarge or shrink a tire or even change sidewalls and treads. It takes some skill and a LOT of patience but the results you can get are amazing.

If you need inserts I use these McMaster-Carr (94510A030) they are invaluable! Just make sure you drill in the center of the hole or you will have a few locating problems!

Other than that just get out there and drive your rig. The best advice I got was try and do lines you THINK you can't pull off and learn from your rig what it can and can't do... then adjust accordingly.
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:52 PM   #76
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
I made him a jig... that's why

For those wonder cut n shut means you enlarge or shrink a tire or even change sidewalls and treads. It takes some skill and a LOT of patience but the results you can get are amazing.
HAHA I don't use the jig for narrowing

But yes like Calvin Said it basically cutting tires to make them different... Say if you want to make a tire narrower you cut out a section in the middle and glue the 2 sides back together... or if you want to make like a 1.9 tire into a 2.2 you cut the 1.9 tires glue in another section and glue in 2.2 sidewalls...
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #77
Quarry Creeper

Whew that sounds a little intimidating. I could definitely see the benefits of the whole cut & shut. I think I would like to get the shaved side wall a try however. I have 90 degree pneumatic grinder that I think would be perfect, its right in between a 4" and a dremel. Everetty's work is rather amazing, they don't even look like they have been altered.

So I think I am going to 1 - Shave my boss claws 2 - Get a set of Voodoo silvers

I picked up a set of HPI Rock Grabbers and some cheep-o beadlock rims off eBay yesterday for $25 bucks, I couldn't help myself, just like Winnerone23 said "nothing wrong with more shoes!"

I built a solid metal SCX10 (the pic in my avatar) and here ( Project Heavy Metal SCX10 w/o any Axial parts ) I really want to run the set of these awesome black and chrome aluminum 1.9 rims, and I can't find a tire big enough for a 1.9 to fill in the fender wells. This could very well be my solution, but damn this is one of those 'needs lots of experience' jobs to make it look right.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #78
Quarry Creeper

Hey I just really wanted to say again that you guys kick ass. Your help and suggestions help me to push on and get another XR10 out comping again.

Fortunately I did have a great platform to start with, when I bought the XR it came with:

Tekin FXR Pro
Punk Dig
Hitec 7950
CC BEC
Brood 35T motors
Heavy Axial aluminum Links
Carbon Fiber Chassis
VP aluminum hubs
Axial aluminum C's, and chubs
Axial HD Motor plate

Since I bought it I have bought:
VP SLW Rims (waiting on different hubs to come in still can be seen in pic 1)
VP Brass Weights
VP Servo Gaurd
New Axle housings f/r
RC4WD Hardened Gears f/r
CI 5.5" Foams soft/med
A multitude of Tires. I am going to start with the HPI Rock Grabbers. I will upload new pics when I get the rims put on.
I have a new chassis sitting at home, but I got a great deal (here on the forum) for a used BJ4 that I can get warmed up with and beat the tar out of for awhile.

I still have to the my shock situation sorted out, I know that everybody is running the Traxxas shocks, but I have been curios about these --> 2x Spark Comp Shock with Ti Shaft (110mm) andybody have any experience with them?I have decided to get the Dual HH BR mini's, and the Crawlmaster HH motors. Those will be purchased later on.

Between the last 2 days after work I have been tearing down the XR10 and getting it all 'stuffed' into the BJ4. I have more work to do but figured your guys insperation should have a bit of payoff for your efforts by proof in the pudding pictures of a new mildly built comp XR10, the first picture is what it was when I bought it, then the other 2 I took last night, it currently weighs in at 6.172943 lbs RTR so there's some weight to be lost yet.

Thanks again fella's
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #79
RCC Addict

Lookin good man
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #80
RCC Addict

Looks like your coming along very nicely!!! Sorry have no experience with those shocks but I would go with the traxxas big bores or the scx10 shocks. Both will work very well for you. Now get out on the rocks and see how that rig will do!!!

Last edited by mammoth; 02-05-2014 at 06:53 PM.
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Am I too late to get into XR10 comping? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many are still comping...... brettd Axial XR10 14 02-05-2013 09:21 AM
anyone comping 1.9 anymore metalking Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 11-15-2012 10:42 AM
Getting into comping. New XR10 neoakaj Axial XR10 11 11-08-2011 10:42 AM
XR-10 or AX-10 for comping minnesotamudder Newbie General 20 09-01-2010 08:15 PM
Comping w/ R1 (anyone) snwchris G-Made Crawlers 6 08-06-2010 12:42 PM