Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Am I too late to get into XR10 comping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 12:42 AM   #101
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Am I too late to get into XR10 comping?

Guess I can only so one pic per post
Attached Images

J5races is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2014, 07:55 AM   #102
Quarry Creeper

What links are you running? Those are awesome. I read yesterday that Chaotic Crawlers will no longer be making links. I tried to order a set just to have them and was told that they already sold out.

My XR10 was modified pretty well when I bought it, but I am going to have to agree with you, I have replaced a lot of it already. Now that parts are getting harder and harder to come by its getting real ridiculous. Rowdy Racing plates are unavailable, now CC ti links are going to be a thing of the past, Vanquish is done. Hell I feel like getting mine finished is going to be a long road and a bunch of money.

J5races - As I am typing here in the quick reply I am looking at your XR, that thing is super clean. I love those links.
Conflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #103
RCC Addict

Shocks look too long
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #104
Pebble Pounder

The sweet link I was sold came from Erik at Dlux.
PM him and he can make whatever you need. He custom bent the ti links in 1/8" for the tops and 3/16" for lowers for the sniper chassis. He was worried that the lengths might not be right, but I told him to make them to the length listed in the sniper build thread and I would pay more of some had to be re-made. Luckily they worked out perfect.

I am super happy with his work and so excited to get my xr on the rocks soon.

Jon
Old 02-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #105
RCC Addict

I run a 3.5 shock on my sniper seems to be about right. Front screw on the skid sits ~3.25 and the rear screw ~3.5
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #106
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINister View Post
I run a 3.5 shock on my sniper seems to be about right. Front screw on the skid sits ~3.25 and the rear screw ~3.5
What do you mean front screw?

Curcal those are stock xr10 3.5" shocks. It just looks all shocks since I have gone through great lengths to relocate everything to the front and rear axles.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #107
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J5races View Post
What do you mean front screw?
Where the lower links mount to the chassis at the skid.

If I remember correctly the stock XR shocks where 4' long or maybe a little more.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #108
Quarry Creeper

I read a lot that ride height should be from 3" to 4". With 4" actually on the high side. My ride height on the front is sitting at 3 3/8"
Old 02-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #109
Pebble Pounder

Sin-

I don't understand. the shocks run from the axle to a spot on the chassis, what does the skid have to do with length of the shocks that mount somewhere else?

Are you saying if you take a straight edge along the skid and extend it to the rear there is 3 and 3.25 in of shock above that imaginary line? If so I don't understand how that matters as the chassis is fixed and the length of where the bolt hole is on the chassis doesn't have anything to do with how long shocks are?

Please explain what you are talking about
Old 02-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #110
Quarry Creeper

Conflict, I couldn't agree more with your earlier post. I think Axial was sold around the time production was stopped. If whoever (escapes me now) got the design patents and tooling, I can't imagine why they wouldn't still produce the XR. I know the scale side is hot right now, but there's guys like us that are more concerned with performance. They could save their money on advertising. There's plenty of guys who would still buy it. Especially since they already have the distribution in place. I think the comp side has basically been forced to shafty due to availability. I can't believe the shafty comp guys wouldn't rather use Moa as a platform. There's no way a shafty, no matter how dialed can out perform Moa. The lightweight threshold has been found. If not, why build lightweight and then add weight. I realize the weight added is put where it is best utilized. That's fine, but weight creates traction. XR's have weight down low where you want it, not up high on top of the skid in the middle. I've said it before; I have 1:1's for scale and if I wanted to play make believe, I'd play trains with the old guys. One more thing, I think rear steer should be allowed. It would REALLY increase the capabilities and that's what it's all about to me.
Sorry to hijack, but just responding to your rant. Great looking chassis, agree your shocks look a bit long. Easy to find and fix that. Glad somebody else is still building an XR along with me. Rock on! (Pun intended. Lol).

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
jollyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:44 AM   #111
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyjeeper View Post
Sorry to hijack, but just responding to your rant. Great looking chassis, agree your shocks look a bit long. Easy to find and fix that. Glad somebody else is still building an XR along with me. Rock on! (Pun intended. Lol).

Highjack away my friend

I believe Cruc is talking about J5Races regarding his shocks.

Yeah I'm blown away. When I started this RC trip again, I began by building some scale trucks. I'm at the point now that I would prefer to trade them off for MOA rigs, and parts. I want to test my rigs ability, and my ability to climb the next big rock, and get all the performance I can build or buy. A big thing that I don't understand (I hope I don't offend anyone here) is when guys put dolls in their RC's, I just don't get that part. But who the hell am I to say anything, I am nobody, but I know that I am not into dolls. That is just the way that I am wired. I am a crawler, plain and simple. I have a lot of scale trucks now that I have invested several thousand dollars in tough parts and go fast goodies, but like I said, every single one of them is on the auction block up for sale or trade. I want to crawl, I want to comp. All in all, its just for fun, and yeah no matter what RC you are driving its still just a toy. But I look at how many guys are building comp rigs, and trying to source, fab, or trade for any part they can get there hands on, and I think Axial really shouldn't have turned their back on this project. I understand why folks like Vanquish, and CC, are walking away. You are only going to be able to sell a percentage of parts to however many Axial produced, and then your done.

I can't agree with you more on the advertising as well. With all the social media and forums, and die hard crawler fans. One small introduction of comp parts and rigs would spread like the plague, bet your ass I'd be a quick customer.

These companies are smart though that did stop making comp related stuff because you hit the nail on the head 'Scale is in now', its a smart decision to follow that crowd. I do feel however though that there are enough crawlers though that could keep a business a float. Maybe??
Old 02-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #112
RCC Addict

Rear steer is for supers. Which are awesome! And dont get much more capable than that.
Many to most 2.2s drivers own and drive 2.2p rigs too.
Scalers are a whole different story but still fun. IMO

Last edited by Curcal; 02-10-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #113
Quarry Creeper

I think I am going to purchase RC4WD's super bully. I think that's going to be the next platform I try. I have a RS10/R1 hybrid I built for fun with rear steer, and it will spin itself right on its lid. I think a super is going to be a fun one to do next.

First I must finish my current project though. I have been all over the internet and back, still not having much luck on my last few parts.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #114
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up Re: Am I too late to get into XR10 comping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyjeeper View Post
Great looking chassis, agree your shocks look a bit long. Easy to find and fix that. Glad somebody else is still building an XR along with me. Rock on! (Pun intended. Lol).

Jeeper, are you referring to my pics of the sniper chassis? I have stock XR10 shocks. Why does some of you feel they are too long? Its hard to type you tone, I am just curious, not getting defense but I feel like It might be coming off that way.

I thought guys run stock length xr shocks with their comp rigs?

Should I put wheels on and take an overall shot, its it a perspective thing that they look like huge shocks compared to the tiny cab?

Jon
Old 02-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #115
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflict View Post
I think I am going to purchase RC4WD's super bully. I think that's going to be the next platform I try. I have a RS10/R1 hybrid I built for fun with rear steer, and it will spin itself right on its lid. I think a super is going to be a fun one to do next.

First I must finish my current project though. I have been all over the internet and back, still not having much luck on my last few parts.
I'm on my first MOA. I toiled with the decision about XR or super. Decided for my first MOA, I'd better stick to XR due to support. Super WILL happen for me on my next one. It's on my bucket list. I'm sick and my life is going to be cut short by a few years, so I'm devoted to my list.
Oh, and I'm actually crying laughing about your doll comments.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #116
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Jeeper, are you referring to my pics of the sniper chassis? I have stock XR10 shocks. Why does some of you feel they are too long? Its hard to type you tone, I am just curious, not getting defense but I feel like It might be coming off that way.

I thought guys run stock length xr shocks with their comp rigs?

Should I put wheels on and take an overall shot, its it a perspective thing that they look like huge shocks compared to the tiny cab?

Jon
I'm not going by ANY experience at all. Only going by what I've studied here for a long time. Seems like a 3.5 is the magic number based on the tire size in this scale, wheelbase, and optimal skid height.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #117
Pebble Pounder

Well I thought xr10 shocks were 3.5, guess I was wrong there I just measured mine and they are 4"

So I could swap them for 3.5 ScX10 shocks if need be, Ill see how it crawls soon and try some scx shocks and see if its better or worse....

Jon
Old 02-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #118
Quarry Creeper

LOL Jeeper!!! Yeah I can't do dolls. So look we should buy our supers and build them at the same time. That way we can start another thread and find something else to bitch about
Old 02-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #119
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Another few pics of my xr, what the heck
The shocks are a tuning thing for performance. The taller shocks are for older chassis.
With a newer chassis, they are built around a shorter shock.
It lowers ur cog and adds to ur capabilities. They are also lighter.

It looks like you have 5" of ground clearance which will help you in break overs but hinder you just about ever where else.

I believe my ride height is half the height of urs and get a little over 4" of break over but when I dig or slow my rear motors down for side hills, I have less then 2" of ground clearance. Which will allow me to crawl just about any side hill. Urs will just roll over and flop on its lid.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #120
Pebble Pounder

Oh, so to get half the ride height sounds like 3.5" shocks will still be too long. I can mount them to different holes on the chassis.

What length shocks are you running Winner?

Thanks

Am I too late to get into XR10 comping? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many are still comping...... brettd Axial XR10 14 02-05-2013 09:21 AM
anyone comping 1.9 anymore metalking Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 11-15-2012 10:42 AM
Getting into comping. New XR10 neoakaj Axial XR10 11 11-08-2011 10:42 AM
XR-10 or AX-10 for comping minnesotamudder Newbie General 20 09-01-2010 08:15 PM
Comping w/ R1 (anyone) snwchris G-Made Crawlers 6 08-06-2010 12:42 PM