RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial XR10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/)
-   -   Am I too late to get into XR10 comping? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/479752-am-i-too-late-get-into-xr10-comping.html)

Conflict 01-23-2014 04:56 PM

Am I too late to get into XR10 comping?

Hello all. I have recently rejoin RC'ing, I took one h*ll of a long hiatus with the whole marriage, children, career, and house buying.

During my time off I would here and there look to see what my fellow RCers are doing and immediately knew damn good and well that when I get my chance to rejoin the ranks I was going to get an XR10. Wellllll time came, I raise up some extra cash, did some research, readied my purchase approach, hopped on eBay bought a used XR10, received it, and slammed straight into a brick wall when it came to beefing it up.

Whats going on? No one is supporting XR10's anymore, did I mess up by getting one? My axles are bone stock and I need to get all of the strength goodies, and can't find a daggum thing.

From the looks of it MOA is going to be a lost sport. If your lucky you can find some Berg axles, and Bully is the only other option. I'm nervous here fella's (and felloetes if any are reading this)

Can anybody point me in the right direction for aftermarket parts? Anybody have any leftovers laying on the shelf they would like to sell?

EverettY 01-23-2014 05:16 PM

Re: Am I too late to get into XR10 comping?

The XR although losing a lot of support is still a great platform... As for beefing up the axles you can still get pretty much all the parts you need for them... Here's some links for most of the parts that you'd need...

RC4WD Lightened Gears

Motor plates RC4WD Motor plates and gearbox Or you can mod the stock plates for bigger bearings.

Vanquish Wraith Knuckles or DLux custom Knuckles

Vanquish C-Hubs

CDF Upper link mounts Or find some used Vanquish Ones in the classifieds.

And the 2 Screw Mod to keep the axles nice and tight so the gears don't pop.

Hope that helps some "thumbsup"

Stuck 01-23-2014 05:32 PM

Creeperbob makes rear axle shafts and you can install the brass inserts on the stock cases for a nice tight fit

T3rry 01-23-2014 06:07 PM

wraith c's and knuckles fit just fine so grab those from vanquish

rc4wd gears

Conflict 01-23-2014 06:31 PM

Fortunately the previous owner did do some of the upgrades, main thing I am after is the transmission housing, upper link mounts, and axle cases. I am actually online now looking for steering solutions. Chaotic Crawlers is evidently sold out of everything. Everrety thanks for the RC4WD link for the trans casings, thats probably my only hope now. I tried ordering a bunch of stuff from Vanquish to only find out that everything I wanted is no longer available.

This is a huge bummer!!

AddictedtoRC1 01-23-2014 06:45 PM

WICKEDWOLF still has some motor plates in stock according to his site, but check with him to be sure. I do know it shows he has front link mounts, but he's out of them. As far as the VP axle top halves, not really needed.

Shop - Wicked Wolf RC

Curcal 01-23-2014 06:51 PM

Consider yourself lucky. You missed the era of VP bling for bling sake. There are plenty of people on here that will point you in the right direction to getting you up and running reliably. Good Luck! keep reading and asking questions! Chaotic bends Ti they'll help out for sure they are a bunch of really cool dudes!

OFFROADRCKOREA 01-23-2014 07:02 PM

I have almost every color of VP in stock right now, let me know what your looking for exactly. Even have some 6mm rear axles, have some used axles as well that are already beefed up. Hurry though they sell out fast. Maybe we can work something out. Also people have lots of parts out there and you can build some nice axles. Just need to know exactly what you want.

ORK

T3rry 01-23-2014 07:45 PM

you don't need the axle cases, just bling, same with the axles, stockers work the best

jollyjeeper 01-23-2014 11:16 PM

I have everything bought and in the mail for my first MOA. Buy a star! I've found most of it right here in the classifieds. This site is the only site you need. There's also vendors here that specialize in XR upgrades. I'm not scared, I know anything I need is here. Even though there are threads here by true artists, I'm gonna do a thread on mine.

Conflict 01-24-2014 07:24 AM

Well I must say that this forum is definitely more open and optimistic about what they stand for. I have been on other forums for other hobbies and start a thread like this and oh no, I've started a world frikkin epidemic and all the "Forum Gods" get pissy and start bichin about newbs.

You guys rock! I appreciate the support. I understand the the axle cases are just bling, but the previous owner has done a rather fantastic job of stripping out all of the screws holding the knuckles on. I realize that I can get another case for $12 bucks or so, I am just nervous about the plastic as I am sure you all are aware of. I am the type of guy that will run the truck for all she's worth right out of the box, but as things break I replace them with whatever I can get my hands on. Push comes to shove I can replace the stock toppers. I do have a star and have been digging frivolously, but to be honest "I am concerned about the future of Competition Crawling" this is ridiculous.

I have sent a couple PM's to some of you guys, thanks again. I already contacted Chaotic Crawlers about the titanium tie rod, I guess I already missed that train too cause he said he didn't have what I was after, and surely didn't incline any offers to produce any more.

With the support from you guys here I am sure I'll be up and comping soon. Ya'll kick a$$!!

Thanks again

ROWDY RACING 01-24-2014 07:50 AM

May be cheaper and easier in the long run to get a set of Bully 2's.

I have got your pm about battery mounts, trying to get caught up before taking new orders.

chevotafun 01-24-2014 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conflict (Post 4641918)
Well I must say that this forum is definitely more open and optimistic about what they stand for. I have been on other forums for other hobbies and start a thread like this and oh no, I've started a world frikkin epidemic and all the "Forum Gods" get pissy and start bichin about newbs.

You guys rock! I appreciate the support. I understand the the axle cases are just bling, but the previous owner has done a rather fantastic job of stripping out all of the screws holding the knuckles on. I realize that I can get another case for $12 bucks or so, I am just nervous about the plastic as I am sure you all are aware of. I am the type of guy that will run the truck for all she's worth right out of the box, but as things break I replace them with whatever I can get my hands on. Push comes to shove I can replace the stock toppers. I do have a star and have been digging frivolously, but to be honest "I am concerned about the future of Competition Crawling" this is ridiculous.

I have sent a couple PM's to some of you guys, thanks again. I already contacted Chaotic Crawlers about the titanium tie rod, I guess I already missed that train too cause he said he didn't have what I was after, and surely didn't incline any offers to produce any more.

With the support from you guys here I am sure I'll be up and comping soon. Ya'll kick a$$!!

Thanks again

if your looking for a tie rod Maybe try
D-lux
Nordic Crawler
both of those guys should be able to help you out with links and a tie rod

Chaotic is done.

If your looking for knuckles and knuckle weights look into d-lux's new knuckle/knuckle weight all in one option."thumbsup"

Plastic diff housing is all you need

The new RC4wd Bully 2 axle's are a sweet option as well and the price you get them for and what you get with them you can't beat it. "thumbsup"

Conflict 01-24-2014 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING (Post 4641933)
May be cheaper and easier in the long run to get a set of Bully 2's.

I have got your pm about battery mounts, trying to get caught up before taking new orders.

WHOAH! Well hello there RR, I had given up on the hopes of getting one of your battery trays. Thanks for letting me know now, I'd be glad to get one from you.

Conflict 01-24-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevotafun (Post 4641988)
if your looking for a tie rod Maybe try
D-lux
Nordic Crawler
both of those guys should be able to help you out with links and a tie rod

Chaotic is done.

If your looking for knuckles and knuckle weights look into d-lux's new knuckle/knuckle weight all in one option."thumbsup"

Plastic diff housing is all you need

The new RC4wd Bully 2 axle's are a sweet option as well and the price you get them for and what you get with them you can't beat it. "thumbsup"

I have Vanquish Knuckles and Weights (fortunately it came with them) I suppose I can just buy the replacement plastic housing's, I'm sure I'll treat the screws better than the previous owner did.

Is Chaotic still doing the chassis and links? Or are they finished? They have good looking stuff.

agent00111 01-24-2014 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conflict (Post 4641083)
Hello all. I have recently rejoin RC'ing, I took one h*ll of a long hiatus with the whole marriage, children, career, and house buying.

Oh man, I am so in that same boat with you! I started a XR10 build back in 2012, and then got a new job that required more travel than expected. I'm now mostly done with travel so decided to [try to] pick up where I left off. That was one of the first things I noticed... out of stock XR10 parts!

Fortunately, I already had most of the bits I needed. But good to know there are some alternatives out there. All I can say is that I hope I never take a long break again, since I forgot so much that I know have to re-learn!! Dooh!

Conflict 01-24-2014 09:05 PM

Yeah I am pretty bummed out. I have to say though, since I posted this thread I have received an amazing amount of support from other members. Folks willing to sell leftover goods, and a ton of information. Thanks to forums like these people like you and I can still wiggle our way back into the hobby.

I can't thank you all enough for all the help. I have a few other goods that I need to pick up, and I'll be back in business. Hell I even got a beetle juice chassis today for a real good deal. GO RCCRAWLERS!!

J5races 01-25-2014 01:02 AM

I'm in the same boat. I bought am xr10 new to build up around Christmas and had a hell of time finding the VP stuff I wanted. I have everything in order and most of it showed up for sale here in classifieds.

Erik at Dlux is awesome and will make custom links for steering and chassis. Keep an eye for used chassis here In classified section.

I just got a Sniper amd Erik made me some sweet 1/8" titanium uppers and 3/16" lowers.

I think I bought the last two chaotic crawlers steering links last week. Bummer he is done...

Great guys on here.

VP told me if there is enough demand they would remKe some items. If we all send an email and tell them we still want xr10 stuff, who knows.

Jon

Trubble 01-25-2014 07:18 AM

Well, isn't this just about the story of my life!

Didn't start falling head over heels in love with the Poison Dart chassis until well after Jones'n had stopped making them. Got insanely lucky and found a pristine model in the classifieds. Now here I am down to just a paint job, and my third shafty will be done.

Well, figures, now I'm getting curious about MOA, and have been rifling through Tower's parts page seeing how bad it's going to be to piece-meal order up everything I need to build up an XR axle set.

(sigh) Ya know.... if had so much as a modicum of brains, I'd just close that tab and walk away, just let it go. (smh) Ugh!

Curcal 01-25-2014 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trubble (Post 4643410)
Well, isn't this just about the story of my life!

Didn't start falling head over heels in love with the Poison Dart chassis until well after Jones'n had stopped making them. Got insanely lucky and found a pristine model in the classifieds. Now here I am down to just a paint job, and my third shafty will be done.

Well, figures, now I'm getting curious about MOA, and have been rifling through Tower's parts page seeing how bad it's going to be to piece-meal order up everything I need to build up an XR axle set.

(sigh) Ya know.... if had so much as a modicum of brains, I'd just close that tab and walk away, just let it go. (smh) Ugh!

There's always the berg option. Dlux has tons of options! Mt cases, super lites, etc. I finished my dlux axles two months ago. Now my xr is a back up rig I let my friends drive. Hahaha

The game is not over for xr drivers. Not by a long shot. But if your buying piece by piece. You have many many options.