Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: 10 year Tribute Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Doing some front lower link changes. Not sure if I need to swap rod ends in the process. One end longer than other. Seems like I've read about this before. Ones Tmaxx or Slash and the other Revo.? Is there a "best" way?

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
jollyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Default Re: 10 year Tribute Build

I think their designed for the revo rod ends, that's were I would start. It looks like the motor is turned down so removing the longer rod ends will raise it a bit too.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Ahh. I was wondering about the motor hanging down. I'm planning on getting some Custom Fiber motor guards when he has them back in Stock. Guess I'll lose a little caster, but I'll address that later. May have plenty already. Wonder if that will require a upper link change. I can't wait to get some rocktime in. It just dumped a foot of snow on my rock pile here at the farm, so I'm stuck on the bench.
This is how I have it now. The link is touching motor right at full compression. Maybe clocking it forward with a shorter rod-end will cure that. Gonna have to do some digging and see if I have any rod-ends from my Maxx or Revo parts stashes. (Sorry if pic sideways. I'm still learning.)

Old 02-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Something is throwing me about ur links. Are they stock chaotic front lower links?

Is ur wheel base 12.5" max?

Is ur servo level?
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

I think (hope) that they are stock Chaotic. The servo is tilted back a bit. I'm at about12.25, just from a quick measurement. If I do shorten the lowers and raise my motor up, I'm gonna be plenty short. This may lead into fiddling with uppers. I hate to stray away from Rollandrockshop's setup. I'm confident that he had it working good for him. May not be the setup for me though I guess. I'll have it all screwed up by the time the snow melts. Lol.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Much nicer pic to see what's goin on. Its perfect! Other then one little thing.. ;)

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1391663490924.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  49.3 KB

See it... Long side goes to the chassis.. :thumbup:
flip them lowers 180° and ur motor clearance issues should be golden.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1391663639522.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  58.8 KB

On to ur wheel base.. 12.5" is Max.. you will want to measure the wheel base at full compression, full extension, and ride height. I'm willing to bet you hit 12.5" at one of them or somewhere inbetween.

I'm 12.25"(or somwhere close) at full extension, 12.5" at ride height.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1391663775195.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  47.2 KB

And it shrinks a touch at full compression.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:28 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Well,,, now I'm right back where I started. They must not be Chaotic links. I don't think I asked, so can't say I was told they were. Not sure.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Do they clear the motor if you rolled the links flat? Make the bends at the motor look straight when viewed from the sides.
If they clear the motor, flip them side to side(right to left, left to right). Then the small extra bend (not chaotic done, maybe they were custom?) will be up in the air giving you extra ground clearance.

Edit: just flipping them side to side and rotating them to the same position they ate in, will also leave that bend at the chassis up in the air or atleast pitched out from the chassis?

Last edited by winnerone23; 02-05-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Rotate them this way
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:51 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

He did that and ended up with the pic above my last post.

The left side is the right side and visa versa.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:00 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Was laying down and comparing pics and thought of that. Here's the result. Now the tip of my skid looks like it's gonna hang on stuff. (I need a new skid. A couple of the threads are questionable. Motor/link issue solved though. It just seems to be that slight bend at chassis end. Must not be Chaotic links. These gotta be close enough to work with. Thanks for the input. Is yours a smash? I'm not sure on the lineage of the Switch. How many versions were there? I'd like a new set of body panels, skid, and a couple of spare plates. Any secret leads on where to pick the stuff up? Thanks for the help. I'm enjoying it. I enjoy working on them as much as driving.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:18 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

I think that slight bend at the end was put on by prev owner? The links look to be chaotic, just not that bend.

Looks good now tho.

For the skid, you can bend that up slightly.. I work mine nice and slow, into a snowboard shape. With my low ride height it would of got hung up all the time before. If you get a new skid, ill recycle urs for ya. ;)

Now just to get you to move ur shocks to the top row of holes..
Old 02-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
I think that slight bend at the end was put on by prev owner? The links look to be chaotic, just not that bend.

Looks good now tho.

For the skid, you can bend that up slightly.. I work mine nice and slow, into a snowboard shape. With my low ride height it would of got hung up all the time before. If you get a new skid, ill recycle urs for ya. ;)

Actually the first set I got for my chaotic special had a little bend right at the rod end on the chassis side.

Looks like this one is bent alittle more than mine was.
if you run them with the main bend going up and down should make it alittle better I hope.
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Looks good now tho.

Thanks for the input. I'm afraid I'm not gonna find another skid. Chaotic being done sucks. I get this and a week later find out they are done. I wanted an extra set of body panels, chassis plates, and skid. Figured that would keep me going for a couple years. I like having spares, even if it's stock parts for mass produced products. I don't have a local LHS here in BFE, so I stock-up.
I'll check out shock location. What's moving up change?

Old 02-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevotafun View Post
Actually the first set I got for my chaotic special had a little bend right at the rod end on the chassis side.

Looks like this one is bent alittle more than mine was.
if you run them with the main bend going up and down should make it alittle better I hope.
So, run it like I have it now? I've never even seen an XR10 in person before, let alone a specialized one. I've scoured this site, but with only pics to look at, it's a steep curve to learn.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

them must not be chaotic links
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowride1 View Post
them must not be chaotic links
I'm not really sure. I think they are. Wondering if the previous owner put the extra bend in. Would you run it like this? I'm gonna put shorter rod ends on lowers to raise my motor up a little.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

I would run it how it is. Ur wheel base is right.
I Would NOT put shorter link ends on ur lowers! It determines ur wheel base.
If you don't like ur axle being clocked back the way it is, just unscrew ur upper link ends, equal amounts to both links, till ur servo is closer to level.

Other then that, I wouldn't worry about ur motor bein higher off the ground, you'll never notice it gliding across the rocks.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I would run it how it is. Ur wheel base is right.
I Would NOT put shorter link ends on ur lowers! It determines ur wheel base.
If you don't like ur axle being clocked back the way it is, just unscrew ur upper link ends, equal amounts to both links, till ur servo is closer to level.

Other then that, I wouldn't worry about ur motor bein higher off the ground, you'll never notice it gliding across the rocks.
Sweet! This is why I started this thread. I hadn't thought of that. Fantastic idea. It's these little tricks I like learning from the Pros. Thanks. It's -11° here and not a rock within 200mi without snow on it. I'm dying to hit some rocks. At least with your guys help, I'll be ready for the big melt. (been running our Micro SCT's in the house and my boy has been whipping me. I'm ready to get outside).

Old 02-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

in the last pic u havere it isn't bad lol
if them are cc links than yes there is a extra bend in them rite at the skid

if u think the skid is going to hang up the heat it alittle an bend it up some . I can say I never got hung on that part of the skid

an for the love of god turn that cab around so it looks like a hot rod an not a pope mobile
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conflict mod

10 year Tribute Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New year build off!!!! oleminer North Dakota 24 11-26-2012 11:41 AM
Its a new year..Serious build change wkcrawler4me HPI Wheely King 6 10-04-2009 07:55 AM
Axial Dorkstar tribute build ecoli Axial AX-10 Scorpion 26 03-26-2008 04:29 PM
Trying to Build one again after a year and half away..got questions 86ss1 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 5 05-03-2007 11:38 AM
Crawler Build Off This Year???? procrawler-wannabe Chit Chat 25 01-04-2006 01:13 PM