Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: 10 year Tribute Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 10 year Tribute Build

You've answered your own question with Jeeper's quote there friend. Look I still have a bag of screws, pm me your address I'd be more than willing to send you one.
Conflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #82
Proverbial threadkiller

Thanks for the info and the offer fellas.

Just got a couple more parts to order, and then I'll have no excuse for bein' chicken to take a leap of faith. Jus' gott check out yours guys' builds again, and maybe one or two others' to see which direction I wanna go.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:07 AM   #83
Quarry Creeper

Ok, got some new, exciting stuff going on! Been crawling and shaking this thing down. The exciting stuff is new, exciting stuff from Calderwood. He's whipping me up a new front adjustable upper link mount for my Hot Racing mount and a new rear axle truss. He's got some new high grade CF and I get to be one of the first users. I've been wanting the front mount since I saw the first one, but now I can't wait to see the new brace! I also bought some new body panels from Erik D_lux. There's nothing wrong with mine, but I think I want some sprayed. I want to still have a set of clear for skins. I'm so glad guys are still making parts for rigs like this. Not all of us want to be relegated run scale. I encourage all readers to buy from our vendors here on the site. I don't want my favorite thing become a shelf queen because it's broke and I can't find parts.
Anyways, on the tech side, I have a few items. I noticed a spot I was crawling through my rig was almost teeter-tottering with the right front dropping into a gap, and the left rear moving up and down. Seemed like it took the front a second to settle. I'm not so sure it wasn't actually the rear settling. When it did, the front raised up a bit and I was able to move on without the front drooping and rolling me over. I'm thinking of going thinner on the oil. I forgot what weight I used, so I'm gonna just go with 30wt and go from there. What are the negatives of too thin of an oil? I'm also going to stop being scared and lazy and do the two screw mod. Thanks to Conflict I have the long screw. He actually sent me another one for my buddy, free of charge. That's how you do good things in life for people! Thanks again for that.
Here's a pic for proof that I actually have a crawler. If it's sideways, chalk it up to a maroon that can't seem to get it right. In my defense, when I submit, it's correct on my screen.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
jollyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Got my 2 screw mod done. I'd been putting it off, but was bugging me not having it done. Very simple mod. I drilled the short screw hole at a bit of an angle to keep from having to cut a pocket for the nut. Worked out perfect. Thanks to Conflict for the long screw.
I've got some sweet parts coming from Calderwood that I should be showing off in a few days. Also, I'm hoping to get some Custom Fiber motor guards soon.
Here's some pics of mod that will undoubtedly post sideways.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

the dam cab is on backwards.
if you would turn it around so it looks like a hot rod an not like a popemobile it will all work rite
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:56 AM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowride1 View Post
the dam cab is on backwards.
if you would turn it around so it looks like a hot rod an not like a popemobile it will all work rite
Haha. I may have to try that. Went out yesterday and missed virtually all my lines. Didn't work worth a Damn. Was a little moist, so I'm hoping today is better. May try the mullet look with the Rovers on front and Boss Claws on back. I've got to get my Boss Claws off the plastic wheels they're glued to. Any suggestions on how to do that without boiling? Hate to soak my foams in boiling water.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #87
RCC Addict

use exacto knife to cut the glue.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #88
TSK
Shelf queen

Could also use CA debonder. Depending on how much glue was used. It may be easier than an exacto.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #89
Quarry Creeper

Ah. Debonder. Thanks. Xacto and I don't get along.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2014, 11:21 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Better outing today. Seems like these Rovers don't like moisture. I'm crawling on East facing river bluffs with a lot of leaf debris and leaf compost. Once my tires get moist, they become slick. A couple buddies came over today and where running Panthers. They both seemed to have more grip.
A couple things I've noticed is my rig seems stiff on articulation, takes a second or two to settle. It seems awful light also. Slides on sidehills and hops and doesn't hook on steep/flat uphills. I'm not sure if an oil change would help. I'm afraid if I go too light, it will help my articulation/settling, butwill aggravate my hop under wheelspin and if I go too heavy, it will hurt my smooth flex. I'm currently running 35wt in SCX shocks with silver MRC springs. I'm at 4.78lbs RTR. Any ideas??
I'll try to post a video, but not promising anything.
Here's a video that may or may not work. Shows a little of my hop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw15...e_gdata_player

Old 04-07-2014, 12:07 AM   #91
Quarry Creeper

Here's another video since I think I have posting figured out.
I've made this climb before, but I keep struggling with it now. As you'll see, my skill with dig and rear wheel speed is inconsistent. My pals with Panthers seem to have more stick, but they have cog issues. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE-R...e_gdata_player

Old 04-07-2014, 07:39 AM   #92
Quarry Creeper

Well, I think I know what the problem is.... NOT A DAMN THING GLEN! Quite honestly I think you've out done yourself. You have built a very good looking well performing rig. I don't know if you expect it to climb a vertical effing wall! I say it's definitely doing its job my friend!! Good to see the 2 screw mod is done. I've still got 21 screws to send out to folks.

To be honest your crawler looks like it is doing rather well. Sometimes what you think is a problem could potentially be it's maximum capacity. I have a huge rock in my yard that I kept kicking myself in the ass for not being able to climb. I spend hours on trying to climb it and continued adjusting my suspension setup etc. Now I finally have been able to climb this one particular line but, I had a buddy that I got addicted to XR10 and he finally finished up his crawler and brought it over last night. He has an XR10 with a Mantis chassis, and I immediately took it over to my rock. I murdered 2 battery packs in his crawler trying to get it up that line and never got it up there. So really until you have another crawler available, you very well could be at capacity. This line I worked so hard for really was me needing to learn my rig better and come to realize that I very well could be expecting far too much.

There's my .02 cents friend. Your rig looks awesome, I've got a lot of respect for you not giving up on it. I know that I am glad that I never gave up, because now the payback is more than worth a little heartache.

Keep up the good work brother!!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Man! I had a few guys over to race on my track and one of my buddies has a Losi Comp and a Redcat rs10 crawler. We loaded up and went to back of farm to bluffs to crawl while our packs were charging. My one buddy hadn't seen a crawler before. He seen and drove ours and was HOOKED, flat out sold and bought! He picked up a new assembled XR kit the next day off Craigslist. He's been going Krazy messing with it and buying parts ever since. I have to remind him that we're here to race also. Haha.
Yeah, and,, my buddy with the rs10 is a whole other story. My boy has one of those gaming chairs. I've been tuning my rigs to try and crawl up on it since the AX10 kit was new. I've fiddled for YEARS to try to crawl this damn chair with no luck. My pal drops that freaking rs10 down and crawled right up it!! What..... The... Frit?!? At this point I'm done, devastated. All he had was a few small mods with stock parts he had laying around. Little Moa with droop. I'm stunned. $150 RTR and has 4wheel steer and a dig effect. He's doing a total budget build and sold his girlfriend's Nite Crawler. Bought and massaged 540 can 60 turn motors onto it. With the money he has left, he's buying her a new one cause she likes his so much. My 13 yr old boy is saving his chore money to buy one. (I work him like a rented mule, couldn't run this operation without him. Lol). Freaking $150 rs10. The droop does have me intrigued. I've ran it before and had good luck it likes axle weight. MOA has axle weight, I know it's been tried, but a new look at it may be worth a try based on what I'm seeing on that little toy.
I've got parts on the way for a few housekeeping items. Front link mount for my Hot Racing upper mount and rear axle truss from his pretty looking CF. I also have some Custom Fiber motor guards on way. Getting a little sad knowing there's not much more parts I want or need.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #94
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyjeeper View Post
Getting a little sad knowing there's not much more parts I want or need.
I feel your pain, that's why I went out and bought a super-class. Now I have something to comp with AND something to build. I ordered a custom set of 13t crawlmasters from Holmes Hobbies for my 2.2 along with a set of motor covers. When they get here I will have to do with the 2.2 is maintenance work.

It's funny you talk about the RS10, I have a rock in my yard that I am always trying to climb with my XR and one day my buddy came over with his bone stock RS10 all he has done to it is cut lugs out of the tires. Well I was working to get up that rock one day catching all sorts of hell and he plopped down is RS and climbed right up and over the top. That there gave me an indication that something was wrong with my XR. So I spent a good amount of time tuning it and re-positioning the shocks, adjusting the ride height, and now I fly over it. So if I were you, just spend some time on tuning the suspension, after I did mine, everything is so smooth and nothing seems to be working against itself, so it really paid off. BTW-I started out with a RS10, I actually took the guts out and put it all in a GMade R1 chassis and ran it droop. Still have it actually
Old 04-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #95
Quarry Creeper

TMI, but was in the shower with Wifey the other day. I mentioned that I want to start collecting parts for a super. The shower went COLD instantly. Haha. I may have to shelve my XR for the electronics when I get to that point. At least the esc's. My next motors and esc's will come from Holmes. From what I've read, his stuff is the stuff to have. I've read some of his comments on threads and he seems to be on a whole nuther level of intelligence when it comes to little motors. I can't even understand what he's talking about.
I'll have to check the super section out and expect to see a thread from you. I forgot to mention my link mounts and truss are coming from CALDERWOOD. They should be here today or tomorrow. Looking forward to some bitchin cf stuff. Did you ever use the upper link mount from him? I know you found VP stuff, just wondering if you tried his. I like the idea of cf for lightweight mounts up so high on axle.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #96
Quarry Creeper

I have yet to give the CF mounts a try. My biggest reason is because I am currently at the point where it ain't broke so I ain't gonna fix it. I'm pretty damn positive after I get all of my heavy-handed-insane-thrashing-around driving style corralled a little bit, my next move will be for my XR to end up getting on a rigorous diet. When that time comes around I will start the CF treatment. If I tried to do that now, everything is going to get BROKEN
Old 04-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #97
Quarry Creeper

Oh, I am excited! Got my Calderwood parts in today. I don't have time to install them yet, but had to share some pics of what I got. I have the front upper link mount for my Hot Racing mount and Sam drew up and sent a couple different rear axle braces. Absolute awesome work. I wasn't sure about the longer one in the pic he initially sent, but now that I have it in my paws, it's killer. He sent a short one also, but I'm loving the longer one. Anyways, Stoked!

Old 04-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #98
Quarry Creeper

Glad you love the longer one, because I'm gonna need the smaller one!

Last week I broke my carbon fiber rear Axial axle brace, but its obviously huge and goddy and a waist of weight and space, and if someone is going to break one, might as well be this feller

Is Calderwood selling those yet? I love the cleanliness of both those braces, as well as the fact that there isn't a whole bunch of crap hanging around to get broke!

Looking good friend! Man I can't wait for my motors to show up, I wanna play dammit! Looking forward to seeing that stuff on your rig!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

sipe the shit out of the rovers
Old 04-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

an if you think u need more bite the lower the upper links one hole on the chasis. I ran 17.5 an 20 wt oil in mine rige

Tags
conflict mod

10 year Tribute Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New year build off!!!! oleminer North Dakota 24 11-26-2012 11:41 AM
Its a new year..Serious build change wkcrawler4me HPI Wheely King 6 10-04-2009 07:55 AM
Axial Dorkstar tribute build ecoli Axial AX-10 Scorpion 26 03-26-2008 04:29 PM
Trying to Build one again after a year and half away..got questions 86ss1 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 5 05-03-2007 11:38 AM
Crawler Build Off This Year???? procrawler-wannabe Chit Chat 25 01-04-2006 01:13 PM