Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: 10 year Tribute Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 10 year Tribute Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflict View Post
Glad you love the longer one, because I'm gonna need the smaller one!

Last week I broke my carbon fiber rear Axial axle brace, but its obviously huge and goddy and a waist of weight and space, and if someone is going to break one, might as well be this feller

Is Calderwood selling those yet? I love the cleanliness of both those braces, as well as the fact that there isn't a whole bunch of crap hanging around to get broke!

Looking good friend! Man I can't wait for my motors to show up, I wanna play dammit! Looking forward to seeing that stuff on your rig!
I don't have them listed but anyone that wants one can PM me.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #102
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowride1 View Post
an if you think u need more bite the lower the upper links one hole on the chasis. I ran 17.5 an 20 wt oil in mine rige
Thanks for the tips Randy. If you think I could have used a link change before, what do you suggest I do now? Haha. I have my beautifully crafted Calderwood upper link mount installed. This is half the reason why I do this; I freaking LOVE parts! The link mounts are machined perfectly to attach to my HR mount. Here's the sweet rear axle truss installed. I'm loving the look, and the quality of the autoclave CF is awesome! Just pretty stuff when the light hits it. I'm gonna be a customer of Calderwood for everything he builds for XR. Sold! Here's a pic of my current setup. I'm on the bottom forward hole. Any input on where I should be? I'm getting close to acquiring all the parts I intend to add to this thing. Got a few odds and ends in mind left. A new look is a must. I've got an extra set of panels, not sure if I want skins or have them shot, or possibly hydro dipped.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
jollyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #103
Quarry Creeper

Been crawling everyday on my bluffs and around the area. If I leave the farm, my rig goes with me. I made the mistake of not taking it with me a couple weeks ago and missed the opportunity of some good rock. It goes with me everywhere I go, even if just to town.
I haven't made any changes since installing my new Calderwood link mount. I seem to have lost a little forward bite/down-pressure on the front. May be my imagination, I haven't been on my usual test spot. Any input on my previous post showing the orientation would be appreciated. I'm gonna get some CA de-bonder next time I go to the city, our hardware store in town doesn't carry it. Really curious to see how the Boss Claws work on my wheels and foam. I do notice I get a bit of unpredictable movement under wheel speed. Wondering if pins will help with that instead of lugs.
Here's a series of action shots on a little spot on the bluff.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #104
RCC Addict

I like to have my front upper links slightly point down towards the axle, especially when my suspension is at full extension/ ride height. When I dig the angle then reverses and the point down towards the chassis

Last edited by Curcal; 04-13-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #105
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcal View Post
I like to have my front upper links slightly point down towards the axle, especially when my suspension is at full extension/ ride height. When I dig the angle then reverses and the point down towards the chassis
Kool. Thanks. Makes sense. I'll give it a shot. That's gonna put me in about the highest hole on the chassis. I'm thinking I won't need any of the upper holes on my front mount if that's the case.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

the rears need to be moved up on the chasis an low on the mount in the rear
id try high on the mount an leave the front uppers alone
try that an let me no what happens
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #107
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowride1 View Post
the rears need to be moved up on the chasis an low on the mount in the rear
id try high on the mount an leave the front uppers alone
try that an let me no what happens
I'm on a stock mount on the rear, so it's as low as she will go. If I'm getting what you are saying, do the opposite of what Curcal said? I'm confused. I don't mind trying both ways, just want to do one thing at a time, so I don't get way off setup. It's winter here in Misery again, so no testing for me. Ugh. Was just fishing and crawling with shorts on two days ago.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #108
Quarry Creeper

Got my sweet motor guards from Winner23 (Custom Fiber). Gonna install them while I do a link change of some sort. At some point, I'm going to make some shock adjustments with fluid or springs. It just seems too stiff and doesn't articulate smoothly or with prediction.
Here's a pretty pic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Ok, my turn!

Curcal is in to something.. Im goin to throw a list out for you.. Change one thing at a time and test, change it back, and change the next thing, test, change it back, etc, etc..
You then will know what each change does and how.. Or change it all at once and work backwards.. You can also leave things alone once you change them and change the next thing.. Up to you and how much you want to know about ur rig..

1st thing.. Get ur rear uppers rolled in so ur chassis brace slams down on them.. (Do this and leave it)
Ur front and rear uppers can Both be moved up one hole at the chassis.
Move ur preload collars on ur rear shocks up to the cap. (You can do this when you roll ur upper rear links in under ur rear cross brace) ..

Im in the middle hole of the VP link mounts. You won't need any upper holes in the link mount. IMO..

What's ur foam setup? Fronts seem stiff.. That may be cause of ur geo and not getting forward bite also...
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #110
Rock Stacker

As a former offroad club racer, I have to agree with winnerone. We were warned that if one makes too changes they'll never see the results of the tune. Remember change in one area affects all other areas. One at a time is best.
ClovisCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #111
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys. I'm a big fan of one change at a time. I don't have your guys experience, but I know small adjustments can make big changes. I've moved my uppers f/r up one hole on the chassis. I'm on the innermost holes on chassis.
I'm leaving my rear links like they are in the rod-ends. I've rotated them before and they don't quite get to the brace. They kinda hang up on the tip of the chassis and hit the motor if I go too much. I did remove all the preload on the springs. (I'm gonna do some shock changes in the future anyways. I can adjust that easy enough). Here's a couple pics of the left side with panels off (gotta get some skins. Tired of running used ones) and screws in place for pics. Don't mind the dirt. Been wrenching on Slashes too.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #112
I wanna be Dave

ok this is all I can say for my setup
look at the line it pulls here.
if your not running really close to this setup it wrong

an it pulls it
now ill post a few of the setup so u can see it

man I have hours on that chasis an I ran every hole in it an that's the setup I took to natts
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #113
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Slow. Looks like your rears are up a hole higher in the rear than in the front. Can tell you have the VP mount in rear. (hard to see with your cab backwards. Not sure which is front. Haha).

Old 04-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #114
I wanna be Dave

He has his rear shocks back up a hole as well. Which I do to.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #115
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
He has his rear shocks back up a hole as well. Which I do to.
Thanks. I didn't see that. Mine are laid down more. I didn't notice how much until I took the preload out. Seemed kinda funny last night when I was fiddling with it.
Slowride, do you have a VP upper on front? Your fronts don't look as elevated as mine and notice your a hole down at the chassis in relation to rear. Thanks again fellas. I'm gonna do other side now. Just been spending some time looking things over.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:25 PM   #116
Quarry Creeper

Finished moving uppers up one hole on chassis and stood my rear shocks up one hole back. I also installed my bitchin Custom Fiber motor guards. I think they are a nice touch and think they are going to work great. Hitting my bluff tomorrow and see how it works. Gonna spend some time with it as it sets. I'll try to remember to get some pics and video.
Here's as it sets now. I covered my panels. Can't stand running somebody else's pattern anymore. I've got a new set and a design, just don't know if I'm going paint, hydro dipped, or skins.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:37 AM   #117
Quarry Creeper

I was reading a thread by Jaloos and see where he had two sets of upper Chaotic upper links. One for the VP mount and set standard. I hadn't heard of this before. I guess the VP length was longer. I've never even heard of this. Anybody, Nick, Marc, Troy, Randy?? I'm just curious.
Back to what I'm working on. I hit a few rocks today. Felt good. I'm thinking I need to increase my articulation by a few millimeters. Just a couple. Seems to teeter and tip on anything more that a short two wheel balance. I have about a tires worth of flex now. Thought that was perfect, but I think I'm used to a little more weight and stretch. I'm going to stick testing link placement for now and then address the shocks. I didn't get any pictures, so you can disregard this posting, I owe you, the readers 3 mins of cool pics in my next post.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #118
I wanna be Dave

Chaotic started out with 2 "kinks" in the uppers, shortly after they did a "VP" link set. They had a "S" bend closer to the motor..
I don't know that the lengths were different tho, more so just the bends in them..
I have the "stock" links on my front uppers and the "VP" links on for rear uppers. I had both sets and it's the setup I liked.. Lol..

For articulation, I have a little more then most, but works for me.. I'm running like 6.5" under one tire..

Now how bout that video!?
Old 04-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #119
Quarry Creeper

Can you tell by looking at my rears in one of the photos I've posted above? Would you spring for an adjustable mount for the rear? I think I'm gonna have to stick with the lower holes on front mount in order to stay with the geometry suggested. Here's a quick little video on my bluff practice spot. My Pop was with me yesterday, so no video. He's 89 and wasn't feeling like learning how to video. Haha.
This is before my link changes. Old practice.: http://youtu.be/Eb6KjweGbdc
Another one that shows my shock movement and it's ability to turtle easily. Flop over.: http://youtu.be/jlYyslXbLic Hope these work. Still learning.

Sent from a device I've used on the toilet.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:59 AM   #120
I wanna be Dave

Tell ya the truth, it's hard to tell the difference in the video's.
What I can tell, is the rig is working!
the tiny, minor adjustments are goin to only be able to be felt by you at this point. IMO
You will only know by running pack after pack.

I know, for me, once I got mine into proper crawling setup, but not yet "final" tuning. I ran 15-20 packs thru the same lines. Then after talking to JD and explaining how it was running, acting, and reacting, could I make another change. To the point of tuning, that simply moving my rear shocks forward one whole, landed me in my final setup.
I was having issues with one climb. The front was lifting. After moving the shocks forward, it gave enough forward bite with my setup to climb..

They are only the little things ur goin to notice and be able to tell the difference in.

Tags
conflict mod

10 year Tribute Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New year build off!!!! oleminer North Dakota 24 11-26-2012 11:41 AM
Its a new year..Serious build change wkcrawler4me HPI Wheely King 6 10-04-2009 07:55 AM
Axial Dorkstar tribute build ecoli Axial AX-10 Scorpion 26 03-26-2008 04:29 PM
Trying to Build one again after a year and half away..got questions 86ss1 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 5 05-03-2007 11:38 AM
Crawler Build Off This Year???? procrawler-wannabe Chit Chat 25 01-04-2006 01:13 PM