Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: 10 year Tribute Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 05:31 AM   #141
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyjeeper View Post
Thanks for the words Slowride. I think I'm close on setup for my driving style. It's amazing how slight, ever so small changes can drastically alter the chararistics of a rig. If I'm thinking this through, I think I want to raise rear uppers at axle. Going higher in the front took away grip. I figure if I take away from the rear, it'll help the front where all the magic happens. I'll be hitting up Calderwood for one of his sweet mounts for the rear axle. I hate not utilizing the front mount I got from Sam, because it's so freaking pretty.
On another topic, does everybody agree to shave my Rovers? They are siped, but not shaved. I'm currently running memory foam, but will be ordering some C.I. foams. Thinking 5.5's, medium and soft. I'm just under 5lbs. Sound about right guys?

Sent from a device I've used on the toilet.
Any opinions?? ^^
New part update, have a used 7950 Hitec servo on the way from Ittybitty. With that said, I'd like to praise this site and users. Most of this rig I've pieced together from used parts here in the classifieds.
I'm so excited about my new servo. It eliminates the last dorky part I have on this machine. You guys wouldn't believe how much abuse I've given a cheap $34 Solar servo. It is a high voltage/high torque unit that I've ran at 6.4v. So stoked about having quality power on the way.

jollyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2014, 06:47 AM   #142
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyjeeper View Post
Thanks for the words Slowride. I think I'm close on setup for my driving style. It's amazing how slight, ever so small changes can drastically alter the chararistics of a rig. If I'm thinking this through, I think I want to raise rear uppers at axle. Going higher in the front took away grip. I figure if I take away from the rear, it'll help the front where all the magic happens. I'll be hitting up Calderwood for one of his sweet mounts for the rear axle. I hate not utilizing the front mount I got from Sam, because it's so freaking pretty.
On another topic, does everybody agree to shave my Rovers? They are siped, but not shaved. I'm currently running memory foam, but will be ordering some C.I. foams. Thinking 5.5's, medium and soft. I'm just under 5lbs. Sound about right guys?

Yes, ONE slight change makes a big difference..

No, raising the rears at the axle won't. Not from my experience. The rears do the same as the fronts. Raising at the chassis in the rear will do the same as raising the links in the front.
Try a hole up at the chassis in the rear or lowering the fronts at the chassis. I'm middle hole in both link mounts on the axle. I'll check today, but I think that's about the same as stock link mount height.

If you want to, you can also switch the calderwood mount to the rear and go stick positioning in the front.

Yes, shave the tires.. You can cut all the side lugs now with the tires mounted and test. Then do the shaving when you pull them off to switch the foams. You will see positive change for both steps.

Yes, 5.5" soft an medium sounds perfect for your weight.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #143
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 10 year Tribute Build

if the pic above is what you are running
then u don't listen

move the front down a hole
this will give you more god dam bite

try that if u need more move the rear up a hole

I have told u this time an time again

if you don't want to try what I have told you an what troy has told u [witch is really close to the same thing] then I don't need to tring to keep helping you. must mean u know more than me
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #144
Quarry Creeper

Wow looks somebody is pissed
cliff1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #145
I wanna be Dave

never pissed man
just tried to help someone that has ask for help an he don't seem to listen
Old 05-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #146
I wanna be Dave

Lmao.. Easy Randy! Haha..

Hey Cliffy, I think he needs a Hug! ;)
Old 05-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #147
Quarry Creeper

Hey, I'm just taking it all in. I'm using a little bit of this and a little bit of that from all you pro's. Trying to find my own groove.
Anyways, off topic and strictly my own personal opinion. I'm building a Scx10 g6 kit for a buddy and it's terrible. I've built and owned an AX for several years. I've also studied XR for years before owning one and I think the scx is a joke. The manual is difficult to follow and the parts are bagged dumb. I'm building it straight from the book, no mods. The AX and the XR manuals are more straightforward, in my opinion. The quality, fit, finish is also bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #148
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowride1 View Post
if the pic above is what you are running
then u don't listen

move the front down a hole
this will give you more god dam bite

try that if u need more move the rear up a hole

I have told u this time an time again

if you don't want to try what I have told you an what troy has told u [witch is really close to the same thing] then I don't need to tring to keep helping you. must mean u know more than me
If you look at post #130, you will notice I HAD the fronts DOWN a hole! Seems like I took advice and struggled with that position. If you want to bitch at me and treat me like a bitch, DON'T! If you read my whole thread, you'll notice I've tried several different positions for my links and shocks. I fully understand that you may have had the perfect setup on your rig. My rig is not yours. I'm running a heavier weight, different front link mounts, different foams, different and probably heavier pack than you were. I don't discount your advice, I'm trying to find a setup that works for my driving style. Trust me, I'm LISTENING, just trying to Cypher what the hell your saying. Proofreading and spellchecker would make MY job a LOT easier. I wouldn't post questions on here if I knew it all. I'm trying to keep the XR section alive, help myself, and possibly help the next guy who builds one. I love this thing and won't be tossing it across a parking lot. F@#k, cut a guy some slack. Doing the best i can.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:36 AM   #149
I wanna be Dave

Ur doin great Glen! Funny thing is, I didn't look at ur pic. I gave advice from what you were saying about the action/reaction of the rig. With that said. I'm still staying with raise ur rears on lower it fronts, at the chassis. (Which is kinda close to what randy said, or the Same thing) lol..
Even tho you may have already had ur fronts down a hole, you have changed other things since? At which time, this is considered tuning.. ;) its pretty well never ending, cause then you get into dialing.. Haha...

Anyways, you may find that you have to lower both F/R at the chassis or raise rear and lower front.. Face down, ass up type a thang!

Weight, foams, link mounts, and pack weight won't change much, other then a heavier rig.. Geo is geo... And the info is still good. Attitudes not always so good .. Baahahahaha..

In a little defense of slowrideaniesse, it's WAY better then it use to be.. Go try and read some of his stuff from last year.. Lol.. It makes understanding Randy now, leaps better. I aktually breeze threw hiz posts wit eeze theeze daaze.....
Old 05-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #150
I wanna be Dave

troy my post on this chasis is going

glen I really don't care if you rig works or it don't man .
you ask for my help an I told you I would help you .
I ran every hole in that chasis an I no what works .
funny is the whole team ran really close to the same setup
so I cant be all wet when I tell u a setup.

other thing I seen but didn't read on it was looking threw the wheel it only looks like your running a half ring for weight an I never found that to be enough for be .
I ran a ring an a half
jd an a few others ran about the same
marc on the other hand piled the weight on his
Old 05-03-2014, 09:09 AM   #151
I wanna be Dave

an I look for you glen
I have 10 tires
2 donnas that side walls are about junk but there runnable so u can see it u like them
2 boss clawls
4 rover
2 block
I have lots of mis. foams as well
mite be a set or 2 of ca in there
but lots of others
Old 05-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #152
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
an I look for you glen
I have 10 tires
2 donnas that side walls are about junk but there runnable so u can see it u like them
2 boss clawls
4 rover
2 block
I have lots of mis. foams as well
mite be a set or 2 of ca in there
but lots of others
I'll definitely want the boss claws. I'm one short. Ruined it trying to un-glue it. Gonna try the debonder or vapor method. Baking, soaking, and boiling didn't work for me. Looking for some C.I. foams also.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #153
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
troy my post on this chasis is going

glen I really don't care if you rig works or it don't man .
you ask for my help an I told you I would help you .
I ran every hole in that chasis an I no what works .
funny is the whole team ran really close to the same setup
so I cant be all wet when I tell u a setup.

other thing I seen but didn't read on it was looking threw the wheel it only looks like your running a half ring for weight an I never found that to be enough for be .
I ran a ring an a half
jd an a few others ran about the same
marc on the other hand piled the weight on his
I'm trying to follow your setup. My wild-card is my Calderwood front mount. It raised my front and hurt me, so I went back to stock position. I want to run it and work off it, but that changes my chassis/axle geometry. I am trying to figure out what geometry I'm looking for. Sorry if I'm dense, math/geometry isn't my specialty. I do value yours and everyone who's commented recommendations. I'm actually running 2 half rings. One on outside and one on inside for a total of 3oz per side.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #154
I wanna be Dave

weight is about rite then

I still say u need a softer foam in the fronts . in all your vids I see no tire wod at all. this will made you think that the truck isn't working .
you will be looking for more front bite an you will never find it .
if your stuck with the foams you have then I would try to do a small star cut on them to get them softer an give you more wod in the tires
Old 05-03-2014, 08:57 PM   #155
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
weight is about rite then

I still say u need a softer foam in the fronts . in all your vids I see no tire wod at all. this will made you think that the truck isn't working .
you will be looking for more front bite an you will never find it .
if your stuck with the foams you have then I would try to do a small star cut on them to get them softer an give you more wod in the tires
Gotcha. Makes sense. I'm gonna cut my side lugs off and new foams are on my wish list. Plan on sanding whenever I get foams.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #156
RCC Addict

Are you still having the settling problem that you had earlier on in the thread? It seems your not getting the same results as others with your setup and they may be related.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:31 PM   #157
Quarry Creeper

Not as bad, now that you mention it. Think laying the rear shocks down helped it some. Seems softer. I'm running silver MRC's, but have plenty silver MiniT. I think minis are softer. Seems to me softer in back is a good thing. I'm having trouble with my rear left rear upper link hitting my motor guard. It's limiting me by about 3mm on compression. Easy fix, just haven't gotten to it yet. Been working on my track here on the farm. Got a big group coming tomorrow to race sct. I'm missing working on the crawler. It's been a few days. My wifey, my boy, and I all have 4x4 slashes. We run most evenings. It's work to keep up on a fleet of RC's when they pound on them and hand them to me to maintain. (my wife by the way is stealthy on the track. She drives slow and steady while we all rip and flip. Lol).

Old 05-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #158
I wanna be Dave

Your inbox is full.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #159
Quarry Creeper

Cleaned up. Sorry.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #160
Quarry Creeper

I'm ready to order some C.I. foams. Know I'm going 5.25 medium and soft. Should I do comp cut? Should I do tuning rings while I'm at it? Crawler Innovations site says they offer medium and soft rings. Any recommendations? I'm closer to 5lbs than 4.

Tags
conflict mod

10 year Tribute Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New year build off!!!! oleminer North Dakota 24 11-26-2012 11:41 AM
Its a new year..Serious build change wkcrawler4me HPI Wheely King 6 10-04-2009 07:55 AM
Axial Dorkstar tribute build ecoli Axial AX-10 Scorpion 26 03-26-2008 04:29 PM
Trying to Build one again after a year and half away..got questions 86ss1 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 5 05-03-2007 11:38 AM
Crawler Build Off This Year???? procrawler-wannabe Chit Chat 25 01-04-2006 01:13 PM