RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial XR10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/)
-   -   Motor rebuild questions (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/483720-motor-rebuild-questions.html)

Bansh88 02-17-2014 06:53 PM

Motor rebuild questions

Im picking up a Mantis chassis from the classifieds. I figure now would be the time to have the motors freshened up. I was going to send them to Holmes Hobbies. I knew they were Turnigy motors but just found out today they are 55 turn. I know most guys are running 35t.
55 still good or should I really go with a smaller turn? We're not comping with this, just having some fun on the rocks. But it's my wifes and she really likes to show my buddy and I up.
The motors have 14t pinions. What about that? Stick with it?

The rest of the gears all looked good but I figure replacing the bearings would be a good idea. Are there just 2 in each axle?

winnerone23 02-17-2014 09:15 PM

Hmmm... What turn motors do you run?

Cause around here, when a diff rig is due for a new "something", my sons wraith or my wife's sporty, I get Me a new "something" and they get my "something"... :)
So maybe ur motors would be a upgrade to her, and ur ready for a upgrade urself... Lol

If you stick with a 55t, you could go with a bigger pinion, like 19t, to gain wheel speed.. please tell me she doesn't run em on 2s! Haha..

As for bearings.. there are 2 bearings on the bottom gear alone.. beat bang for the buck, get a fast eddy xr-10 bearing kit. You get all the bearings for one low price.

Bansh88 02-18-2014 07:06 AM

Re: Motor rebuild questions

We only have one XR. I have a Wraith. She needs the benefit of MOA to compete!
Right now its running on 2s. I plan on getting some 3's. It has an FXR.
I went through the manual and saw all the bearings. Would cost an arm and a leg for axial bearings. I looked at Fast Eddy last night. Great deal! These do the trick? I'll definitely grab a set.
So maybe a 19 pinion? That wouldn't kill the bottom end torque?

winnerone23 02-18-2014 11:55 AM

Wow.. 55t's on 2s... I can't imagine the snail's pace it must crawl at, but I bet it crawls like a D8!
Yep, the fast Eddie bearing kits are nice!
Might want to look into some traxxas bushings to replace the 8mm bearings under the link mounts and the tranny cover. Just as a maintenance free swap and protect ur gears from one of them exploding when you upgrade.

I would say, if ur staying with the 55t motors, a bigger pinion and 3s would be the way to go. Just running 3s will be like changing to a newer, faster, more torque motor.

Bansh88 02-19-2014 07:46 AM

It's twice as fats as my Wraith!
Got the motors shipped off. Going to stick with 55t for now. Bearings on their way. Mantis on it's way.
Was oing to get some wie loom to clean up wiring. What about shrink wrap instead? Comes in a lot of colors and would keep everything in a tigheter package.

winnerone23 02-19-2014 07:51 PM

Its TWICE as fast as ur wraith!? What are you running in ur wraith? 85t! Lol.. but seriously..

Bansh88 02-20-2014 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnerone23 (Post 4679335)
Its TWICE as fast as ur wraith!? What are you running in ur wraith? 85t! Lol.. but seriously..

Holmes 45t. 87/12 gearing ( i think. It's slower than I walk. On flat ground, i just pick it up. IT crawls like a D8

Bansh88 02-20-2014 08:38 AM

What brand pinions are you guys using? Amain barely has any unless you run 32P. Traxxas? Robinson pinions seem to bee very thin

winnerone23 02-20-2014 10:34 AM

Gear that bad boy up! 87/16, 17 or 18t.. are you running that on 2s as well? Say it ain't so.... Lol..
I ran a 35t at one time.. on 4s, it was too slow for my liking. ;)

Bansh88 02-20-2014 10:57 AM

I use the wraith only for crawling. I have Nitros if I wanna go fast.

Mantis should be here today! Motors shipped off to Holmes yesterday. Hopefully order a Rowdy battery mount today or tomorrow.

Thanks for your help winnerone. Looks like high end build threads are the only thing that gets attention in here

winnerone23 02-20-2014 07:41 PM

No problem man.. its not that highend builds only get attention.. it depends on what the thread is about some times, its winter so less guys are as involved, and the bigger side is a Lot of guys seemed to have moved to new axles(so they are in the bully2 or berg section)..

BliB 02-21-2014 06:21 AM

Motor rebuild questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bansh88 (Post 4679879)
What brand pinions are you guys using? Amain barely has any unless you run 32P. Traxxas? Robinson pinions seem to bee very thin

I found alot of 48p pinions on amain!
RRP10xx is the part number for 48p pinions "xx" is just tooth count. 14t 48p pinion got part number RRP1014, 48p 13t got part number RRP1013 and so on! Good luck :)

Jslick 02-21-2014 08:03 AM

I am suprised that you run the 55T. That would drive me nuts, I guess I am a wheelspeed junkie. I understand the great torque but you are really missing out on the speed. It is nice to have when you need it."thumbsup"

Bansh88 02-21-2014 10:09 AM

I got it used. Thats what was on it. With all the stuff we're doing to it this week, new motors will be up next if the wife still likes it. Ordered Rowdy battery mount and 3s batteries this morning