Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: AREA 51RC "Project Chaotic "Switch" XR10"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 04:26 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default AREA 51RC "Project Chaotic "Switch" XR10"

I got the XR10 kit just over a year ago and have been very successful with it at local events, but just couldn't leave a good thing alone... goodbye stock chassis
D19er is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 04:28 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: AREA 51RC "Project Chaotic "Switch" XR10"

The old hardbody
Old 10-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

My new Chaotic "Switch" chassis and Titanium links....

These guys have excellent customer service and ship superfast...
Old 10-10-2012, 04:45 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Electronics Setup
2 Tekin FX-R pros
2 Tekin 55t motors
Castle Creations 10a b.e.c
Hitec 7950TH
Spectrum DX-7 transmitter
Spectrum AR6100 reciever
Outrage 40c 860mah 3cell lipo
I currently have my radio mixed for multiple possibilities ( front dig, rear dig, awd,awd bias, opposing axles,etc...

Last edited by D19er; 10-10-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:50 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Unfortunately my camera crapped out during the build so i couldnt get any build shots, however i was able to get finished product shots..
Old 10-10-2012, 04:52 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

cool, you will enjoy this ""switch""
sfpumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:56 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Action shot. ... Ivwas never able to pull this line with the stock chassis, now i can run this line all day long...

This chassis kicks ass
Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

The Switch rocks! If you're having trouble with the rear of the chassis hitting the rear upper links, move them down one hole. Mine would hit and I didn't get full shock travel. Moved to the next hole down (third) and solved it. I'd suggest getting the Traxxas Big Bores too as the stock shocks have too much lift.
Wicked Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Looks great.

I would also move the front upper links to the inner set of holes. This will give you better caster while making your servo sit parallel to the ground.

*edit*
Looks like you have already done this in the picture above.
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Very nice rig!!! Like messiah said the Switch is an awesome chassis. I would either limit your shocks or get some traxxas big bores 2660 and do the cap mod. The stock shocks imo are too long and allow too much articulation.

btw your facing the wrong way!!!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Crawlers View Post
Looks great.

I would also move the front upper links to the inner set of holes. This will give you better caster while making your servo sit parallel to the ground.
x2 on what he said...AND I would recommend flipping the servo over and running it with the servo arm closer to the tire/wheel. You can use a combination of Revo or Jato rod ends along with either a 4mm or 8-32 set screw to make a new and stronger drag link
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the kind words guys... I have been following all of your builds as well and have learned alot!!!I have a couple of pairs of bigbores my fiancee picked up for me a couple of days ago as a suprise for me being such a great hubby...

I really like the performance im getting out of the xr10 shocks and am hesitant to put on the bigbores.. my ground clearance is 3" in the front and 3 1/8" in the rear... i know too much articulation is bad, but if i didnt have the articulation i have with this setup there are a couple of gates that would have been impossible to make because the rear would not have been able to stay planted, instead the rear axle would have started to roll causing the rig to flip... here is a pic of my max current articulation

I'm always down to get max performance out of my equiptment... Can my rig perform better than it does now? It's already unstopable... I practice on lines that seem impossible only to find myself pulling that same line minutes later without the slightest bit of hesitation. If my setup can get even better then it is currently as far as performance on the rocks goes show me the way boyz....What will the bigbore bring to the table that isnt present with the XR10 shock? After modding the bigbore it is almost identical in size eyelet to eyelet fully extended!
Old 10-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

What springs are you guys using withthe big bores? Part numbers?
Old 10-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

i use the scx10 alum shocks on mine cause of the weight an because they are 3.5 in . i also run a lil lower than you do on the belly . i use to think the same way as you are but i ran it lower on comp an at the natts an it pulled everything that i wanted to do an it side hilled way better. i had a bad tire an foam combo going on but i lurned alot an now it sidehills like a goat
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

i also recamend the vp upper link mouts they do wounders for the setup.
i8 also recamend a set of nuck weights
Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #16
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Ya got some good advice & recommendations so far & I would echoe most. DEFINITELY flip your servo over so your drag link is less than half its current length. This will provide a lot more front axle clearance.

The Big Bores are a good shock but so are the stock XR10 pieces. I personally don't care for the link end mod & feel its only real benefit is when inverting your shocks...which I dont recommend. Inverting your shocks does lower the COG a teeny weeny bit & it also puts the oil at the cap instead of the lower seal...which is usually a leaky spot. But what it also does is put the air bubble thats common in most shock builds right at the piston, causing an inconsistent stroke cycle.

If ya like the stock XR shocks...I say run em. I WOULD limit em down a bit both internally & externally to lower your ride height a tad & keep the articulation controlled. I'd shoot for a super soft spring like the Losi golds or Axial black springs. Buy a couple feet of fuel tube or use the spacers on the XR parts trees to limit your travel & ride height.

Just try small changes, 1 at a time & keep track of what those changes did for your rig...both good & bad. I have a few test lines that I'm constantly testing my rig on & know by now whether the changes I've made were good, bad or somewhere in between.

Other than that...enjoy her. Shes a good lookin rig & an easily tuned chassis. BUUUT...your cab IS on backwards but different strokes for different folks & all that.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

lol jd you will find you startd backwords thing an it just you an your buddys that are wrong . most like to see were we are going not were we have been lol lol
Old 10-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all the advice guys... gonna flip the servo and make a new link. .. What are you guys runnin for belly clearance? Im runnin this setup in New England(Mass) could i possiblly need the extra ground clearance for the type of rock we have out here? Will post pics of the rocks I'm talkin about.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Yeah, if those stockers are working for you and you're happy, keep em. I'd suggest at least trying the big bores since you have them on hand though. Run a line with the stock, then swap out and run the same line with the other. See what your differences are and then decide. Sure, it's time consuming but you won't know until you try.
Wicked Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

The benefit you will gain from the big bore up front will be the fact that you can stand the shock up more.

This alone helped my rig immensely.
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote

AREA 51RC "Project Chaotic "Switch" XR10" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
...Chaotic Switch........ "The Wicked Tuna" Chaotic Crawlers Axial XR10 165 03-29-2013 05:54 PM
BADDMANS C1 called 50Cal """XR10 up grade""" baddman 1.9 Scale Rigs 21 08-27-2012 11:56 PM
Chaotic Crawlers "DEMON" build! aka "Kreacher" Mac10 EnRoute Berg 96 09-26-2010 01:49 PM