Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: XR-10 dual esc?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #1

Default XR-10 dual esc?

What's the benefit to running 2 esc's in the XR-10 vs just 1? I have a futaba 4PL so I can run the 2 esc's no problem. Also are most people running 2s or 3s mostly? Is the drivetrain pretty strong on these rigs? Thanks for all the help new to comp crawlers.
Jcozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: XR-10 dual esc?

The benefit is being able to control the motor speed of each axle independently through mixing. 3s is pretty much standard with comp rigs, some even go 4s now. The stock Axial gears are known to be weak, but RC4WD makes a good replacement set.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The benefit's are... Everything..
Performance, weight, space, better control, etc etc...

Running a single ESC means you need a dig unit. They are big an bulky, take up a lot of space and limit you to dig and burn only.. Not to mention, a dig(punk or heyok) is about the same price as a second ESC.
Since you already have a tx capable of running dual esc's, it's a one way street for ya..
95% run 3s..
With a few simple mods, the drivetrains are pretty strong..

Get some traxxas bushings. You need 8 total.. (Traxxas part # 3775)
2 screw mod to the rear axle
And maybe go with some HD motor plates or drill the stock plate for 9mm bearings..
After that, most go with some VP chubs and knuckles.. Everything else is optional (which all of the above is as well) but will help it last much longer, which will make ur crawling more enjoyable in the long run.

Last edited by winnerone23; 03-18-2014 at 10:38 PM.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #4

Sounds like dual esc is the way to go thanks.
I'm thinking dual fxr or brxl...

Last edited by Jcozz; 03-21-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #5

Can't wait to get my xr-10 build started!
Old 03-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcozz View Post
Sounds like dual esc is the way to go thanks.
I'm thinking dual fxr or brxl...

go with brxl, when you get your xr let me know. We can work out a good deal on a pair of brxl's.
Beerman Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I would go with dual fxr, or dual holmes br minis if you want to be able utilize space and weight. The brxl and a dig will use up a bunch of the little bit of space you have. That's just my $.02
1r3land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Hi, Recently bought myself a XR10 before I got the car I thought about running two brushless motors of the type HH crawlmaster 3014 outrunner 1000kV, which I got at a quite reasonable price after a clearanse sale of a local rc shop. But the xr10 came with two 55t brush motors, and after some pondering it seems quite complicated to connect outrunner motors. Ill guess it needs two ESC and a dig will not work ill imagine. So will the most reasonable be to use the included 55t motors connected the via the dig and the ESC or what? And what rig is the outrunner motors really suitable for? I have an AX10 also, and thinking about building sometime in the future a scx10.
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #9
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelowDoom View Post
Ill guess it needs two ESC and a dig will not work ill imagine. So will the most reasonable be to use the included 55t motors connected the via the dig and the ESC or what?
Well, there's a few ways you could go.

---I'm pretty sure Novak sells an ESC with the dig in it and controls both brushed motors.

---Punk RC sells dig switches that install between a single (brushed) ESC and dual motors, and it shuts off one or the other motor. Since you have dual 55's, this means you could use any ESC with a minimum 27 turn motor limit. Your choices would be many.

---Novak also sells dig switches that go between the receiver and dual ESC's, and shuts off one or the other ESC's. I think Punk RC may also have something that can do this. I see no reason why you couldn't control two brushed or brushless ESC's in this manner.

---Use a computerized radio. I'm not really well studied on the Fly-Sky line, but I'd be looking at probably their GT3C radios if I was you. If they don't have enough channels for you in stock form, look at buying one from OverkillRC, they sell 'hacked' models that open up more channels than stock. I myself have a Futaba 4PL. One ESC goes in channel 2, the other ESC goes in channel 4, and the radio handles the dig function. Could also look at the Airtronics MT-4, or Spektrum DX4S for similar abilities. And again, I would think you could run twin brushed or brushless setups by going this route.

At any rate, that's 4 possibilities for retaining dig, two for going brushless, with dig. Looks like you got some researchin' ta do. Enjoy.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I have 4pl, dual micros, and a bec. Wouldn't have it any other way. Total control. Do what Winner23 says. Minimum of "two screw mod". You also DO need a bec. The other stuff can keep you busy down the road.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
jollyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

If you decide to do the 2 screw mod shoot me a PM with your address and I will send you the long screw for free. The long screw is 35-40 mm and generally you have to buy a package of 25 or so and there's not much else to do with screws that long unless you want to cut them down to use them. I have plenty left from my mod, and I have full intentions on sending each leftover screw to anyone building an XR10. This is my way of thanking this awesome forum for helping me when I started new. BTW we are all here to see pictures (hint hint)
Conflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:26 AM   #12

Also bought my first MOA crawler (XR10 roller) to give it a try (although it's not a "big thing" here in Belgium - hardly any competitions - so more for the fun of it).

Also got myself a DX4S so wanting to go dual esc, but... too many esc's to choose from:

- CC Sidewinder Micro
- Novak B1-R

I like the price range of those two, but are they any good or do you guys suggest others? Like i said, it's mostly for fun, not looking to build a $$$ comp beast
Cornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:06 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Sidewinder micros will work.

For the simplest drop in, pre soldered, dual esc's. You can pick up HH Br mini's. Solder to ur motors and go!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:20 AM   #14

Thanks for your reply, but "will work" isn't very convincing ;)

I thought I've read something about those HH BR esc's not having strong drag brakes...?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Sidewinder micros will work.

For the simplest drop in, pre soldered, dual esc's. You can pick up HH Br mini's. Solder to ur motors and go!
"Will work" is an understatement. I'm running dual Sidewinder's and they work just fine. I have the drag brake set to 213% and the rear flat locks-up. It took me some time to get programing right, but that was operator inexperience. If I wind up with my esc's smoked, I'm moving to Holmes. First off, he's a fellow Missouri boy and seems to cater to us in the crawling world. More importantly, there are a ton of pro's like Winnerone23 with years of experience and praise of Holmes. That's the point of this forum; the sharing of years of wisdom. If you've never ran a dual esc rig, your in for a treat. It's the difference between a Cavalier with a fart pipe and a new Corvette. So refined and in tune with the driver input.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
jollyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #16

Thanks for your input! Looking forward running mine for the first time
It's completely stock and I think I'll leave it like that (for now ;)), except for some cheap mods.

Since there are no competitions around here I think it's useless to put $$$ parts and electronics in it...

I'm gonna go with the CC Sidewinders Micro, they look to be the cheapest option.
A BEC is absolutely necessary?

It came with two 80T motors but these are maybe a little to slow? 55T are maybe a better option?
Old 04-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #17
RCC Addict

BEC absolutely necessary.

80t way too slow, 55t maybe still too slow, 45t or 35t will be your best bet.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I run 55T Tekin Chrome can's, and I compete with WCRCRC, these motors are way too slow, but if you are not gonna comp with others in a comp club, then use them if you got them, but if you haven't bought any motors yet then get 45 or 35T...just my opinion, after 2 seasons with a comp club and running higher end 55T's.

YES,YES,YES....run a BEC (CC 10amp), not my opinion, just a fact! High torque servos = high current draw (+5amps).
TheAxialNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
Thanks for your reply, but "will work" isn't very convincing ;) I thought I've read something about those HH BR esc's not having strong drag brakes...?

He isn't a salesman, when he says it will work.....that's means it has survived him . I have some of his rejects I bought last yr in my agent and they work great too!
Whiplashdjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:45 AM   #20

Thanks guys for your reply's

Will run the 80T for now, if they bother me I'll swap them out for 35, 45 or 55T motors...
Is there any advantage in using double wind motors, like a 45Tx2? Or are they just a sales pitch?

Whiplashdjs happy to hear the sidewinders micro are a good choice ;)

I'll add the CC BEC to my shopping list then.

XR-10 dual esc? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with dual ESC, dual servo, bec wiring mudboggin3 Electronics 3 08-21-2012 10:23 AM
Dual steer - Dual esc Cliffy oldhippie Duratrax Cliff Climber 2 08-30-2010 09:47 AM
My LCC MOA - Dual ESC, BL 17.5T, Dual 3S axelram Team Losi Comp Crawler 47 06-26-2010 02:00 AM
Futaba 9CHP setup for dual steering, dual esc duartev Electronics 5 06-07-2009 08:58 AM