Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Steering links

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Steering links

Through my reading of the XR10 platform I have come across mention that turning the chubs all the way clockwise gives the best/tightest steering setup. Upon inspection of my second hand crawler I noticed that my chubs are all the way counter clockwise, this seems so because the steering link contacts the bottom of the motor if the chub is rotated.

Is the steering gain worth trying to find or make a special steering link? I'm sure I could make one with an investment of my time but I am trying to figure out what in the steering it improves.

Anyone shed some light for me?
Savagethrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
Proverbial threadkiller

Default Re: Steering links

CW / CCW from which side of the vehicle?

Are you talking about laying the kingpins back? (positive caster)
Or pushing the kingpins forward? (negative caster)

Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:25 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Laying the kingpins back to add positive caster.

Thanks for the image

Last edited by Savagethrash; 11-01-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
Proverbial threadkiller

Quite frequently that's done because the rear of the tires are getting jammed into the shocks and springs. If you lay the hubs back you may be able to sneak the tires around the springs and lower links, instead of right into them.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Ah I see. Well perhaps I will see if I can make a steering link in the front so I can add positive caster. My wheel do make solid contact with my shocks st the moment.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:44 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

can you pm me a pic of your link ...id be more than happy to make you a nice titanium link but i need to see what youre working with now
Purptr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:18 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagethrash View Post
Through my reading of the XR10 platform I have come across mention that turning the chubs all the way clockwise gives the best/tightest steering setup. Upon inspection of my second hand crawler I noticed that my chubs are all the way counter clockwise, this seems so because the steering link contacts the bottom of the motor if the chub is rotated.

Is the steering gain worth trying to find or make a special steering link? I'm sure I could make one with an investment of my time but I am trying to figure out what in the steering it improves.

Anyone shed some light for me?
I had my doubts about adding tons of positive caster despite having seen it here and there on comp rigs but I finally got around to trying it and it did add some climbing potential.

I had to eliminate the stock tie bar and use a proper 3/16" rod with Traxxas ends and some RCbros.com arms and some 9mm spacers to get the tie to clear the motor. Then I went even farther...drilled new holes on the next spline over, dialed in ridiculous positive caster, made longer uppers and dialed in a ton of clocking to tilt the axle forward. I was able to go with 3mm spacers with that set up and I now have more steering than ever.

The caster makes the tires clear the lowers and shocks, the clocking reduces the caster to a reasonable amount that still looks crazy but works.

Here's a tutorial on the mods required

MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the link!

I guess I've got some drilling to do. I dont have wraith knuckles but I do have aluminum axial ones. I might try adding another hole for the caster adjustment and then tweak whatever needs to be tweaked to make it work.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainStorm View Post
I had my doubts about adding tons of positive caster despite having seen it here and there on comp rigs but I finally got around to trying it and it did add some climbing potential.

I had to eliminate the stock tie bar and use a proper 3/16" rod with Traxxas ends and some RCbros.com arms and some 9mm spacers to get the tie to clear the motor. Then I went even farther...drilled new holes on the next spline over, dialed in ridiculous positive caster, made longer uppers and dialed in a ton of clocking to tilt the axle forward. I was able to go with 3mm spacers with that set up and I now have more steering than ever.

The caster makes the tires clear the lowers and shocks, the clocking reduces the caster to a reasonable amount that still looks crazy but works.

Here's a tutorial on the mods required

Cool video,,,I learned something today,,
Actualy I have the chub all the way back so I get better steering,,
I have about 63-65* steering and narrowed voodoos so I dont touch the dampers or the links when I have full steering,,,
And I have the EPA on my futaba 4PL at 110%...
And I did set up the hitec 7950 with a HPP21 to 150* steering...
FLOKI-81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Steering links - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
steering links ELjefe RC4WD Bully 2 08-01-2013 01:13 PM