Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Got my XR10 today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2017, 11:16 PM   #1

Default Got my XR10 today!

So I went from a Losi Trail Trekker to an XR10... a bit of upgrade I would say. I bought it used. I'll be honest, I don't know much about these rigs. Here is the info I gathered from the previous owner:

Futaba 4PL
Dual Mamba Micro Pro ESC's with CC BEC wrapped.
Vanquish alluminum beadlock rims
Vanquish weights
300oz+ Hitec servo
Holmes Hobbies 45t brushed motors
2-stage foams
Vanquish titanium arms
Rowdy Racing battery tray

He doesn't remember what the chassis is. Original XR10 axles. He had lost the battery during a move and I couldn't find one to fit the battery tray. I don't really like the tray anyway, it sits well below the links. I ended up buying the one in the picture below and was wondering if there's a box I can buy to put on the front end to hold the thing. I ended up putting an EC3 plug on it to mate to the battery and it runs. Things I want to do to it:

1. Figure out what to do with the battery.
2. Clean up the wiring.
3. Replace the link from the servo horn (pictured).

I would really appreciate input on numbers 1 and 3. I figured I would use some small zip ties to clean up the wiring. Thanks for any input provided!

I didn't figure out how to post pictures directly in the thread without a link from Google pictures. The link below opens the album I created. Sorry!

https://goo.gl/photos/6Td6bUuYmVmtqEoW8

Thanks for checking out my new rig!! =)

Last edited by IVIayheIVI; 03-03-2017 at 11:34 PM.
IVIayheIVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2017, 09:02 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Got my XR10 today!

You've got some potential there man. I would most definitely do your due diligence and read thru some the built threads some of these guys have posted up. It will help you out when trying to find lengths and for other cool ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nastyman211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

For your first question, I am still using the stock set up from the servo, but currently attempting the rear axle slider delete. For the second question on the battery plate, most guys build their own or just mod one they currently have. Most all ideas or mods are up to you brother. Always depends on what you like, or how you drive your rig. Here's a photo of the battery mount I made...

Nastyman211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:10 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

A bit of an upgrade? A HUGE upgrade. Congrats .
A couple of years ago I was able to buy a brand new fully built XR10 from a seller on eBay who built then shelved his XR10 then realized that he would never use it and decided to sell it. I was lucky to stumble on it and bought it immediately.
Then I went crazy and decided to find the most unique chassis in the history of comp crawling for my "high performance" basher crawler.
This is my Axial/BWD XR10 Mantis MOA basher short of electronics (thinking of Holmes)
Have fun with your rig. I love the technology of this segment of the hobby

ClovisCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVIayheIVI View Post
So I went from a Losi Trail Trekker to an XR10... a bit of upgrade I would say. I bought it used. I'll be honest, I don't know much about these rigs. Here is the info I gathered from the previous owner:

Futaba 4PL
Dual Mamba Micro Pro ESC's with CC BEC wrapped.
Vanquish alluminum beadlock rims
Vanquish weights
300oz+ Hitec servo
Holmes Hobbies 45t brushed motors
2-stage foams
Vanquish titanium arms
Rowdy Racing battery tray

He doesn't remember what the chassis is. Original XR10 axles. He had lost the battery during a move and I couldn't find one to fit the battery tray. I don't really like the tray anyway, it sits well below the links. I ended up buying the one in the picture below and was wondering if there's a box I can buy to put on the front end to hold the thing. I ended up putting an EC3 plug on it to mate to the battery and it runs. Things I want to do to it:

1. Figure out what to do with the battery.
2. Clean up the wiring.
3. Replace the link from the servo horn (pictured).

I would really appreciate input on numbers 1 and 3. I figured I would use some small zip ties to clean up the wiring. Thanks for any input provided!

I didn't figure out how to post pictures directly in the thread without a link from Google pictures. The link below opens the album I created. Sorry!

https://goo.gl/photos/6Td6bUuYmVmtqEoW8

Thanks for checking out my new rig!! =)
The tray behind the axle is usually used for electronics. That tray can be adjusted to sit were you like, and we use a small battery like a 450mah on the axle with a tray similar to Nastymans. If you can find a Rowdy battery tray, those are the best. To replace your drag link use a revo and jato rod end with a 4mm set screw.

Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:53 PM   #6

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it! I was thinking of building my own battery tray of some sort, I might get my dad to help me out, he's a really good fabricator with all the necessary tools. My garage is kindof basic by a pro modder's standards. I have a decent drill press, vice, dremel, side grinder with grinding and cutting discs, but no band saw for fine, straight cuts or good metal bending equipment. Vice and hammer are my bending tools. :p

I was thinking of taking that tray off the back of the front axle and using it as a template to affix a new tray that would come up and out the front, with a tray similar to some I've seen online. However, I see a couple trays in the pics above that attach in a different place and that might be easier. It wouldn't break my heart to set aside the battery I got and go with 1 or 2 smaller ones, but if I'm making a new tray anyway, I think I'll probably make one to fit the battery I have. A little more weight on the front axle isn't a bad thing on these rigs from what I've seen. I'll dig into some build threads to see what other guys are doing for sure, but thought I would get some first impressions. Thanks!

Last edited by IVIayheIVI; 03-05-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:03 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

carbon fiber is very easy to work with. and looks cool . start making your own stuff. some stuff its eisier to buy as in whats your time worth.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
THE ROOKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:50 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...b4503sj30.html
These are the battery's I use for the xr and ax-10s I have. They are easy to fit low on the front axle. I always buy higher discharge rate with smaller capacity battery's. I get around 15 to 20 mins on the rocks and they are easy to take on and off to replace.
Check out the rowdy racing battery tray you can make one from sheet metal, cf, or plastic if need be.

Last edited by 351Beno; 03-05-2017 at 08:57 AM.
351Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #9
RCC Addict

To adjust the tray on the back simply loosen the motor mount screws just a little bit and push the tray to the desired location. Tighten motor mount screws to lock it in place.

Your shocks are a little too long add some internal limiters onto the shock shaft inside the shock body. Couldn't tell you how much to do it, but you want to make i look less like a scared/pissed off cat and more like a sleek stretched out hotrod.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:14 PM   #10

Haha! Pissed off cat! There's room to move the shocks back on the chassis, I might try that first just because i don't have any limiters on hand and it's easy. I didn't realize the tray could adjust like that, but I don't think it will help much. I want to take it right off. I have an idea for a battery tray, we'll see if it turns out ok. Been busy most of the weekend and haven't really had time to do much. I'm feeling sick now too, the past week was pretty rough.

Is a higher discharge rate going to make much of a difference in a crawler? For the little bit of testing I've done, it seems to be performing well with this battery, but perhaps I would notice a difference if I switched it up? I'm still waiting for the snow to melt away so I can take it outside... I'm tempted to take the chance and crawl through some snow! Not much of it left anyway.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

As to the battery, it depends a lot on what you want to do with the car. Those of us who use them for comps generally use batteries around 500 to 800 mah. They only last long enough for one course, so we put in a fresh battery each course. For best performance you want batteries light and mounted low to get a low CG. But if you're just planning to kick around on trails and such, a big battery like the one shown will be more fun.

Same with ride height -- yours is very high, so the CG is high. It wouldn't make for a good comp setup, but may do just fine for what you want. A more competitive stance would be with the skid maybe 3.5" above the ground. Best way to do that is push the car down to the height you want and measure the shock length, eye to eye, at that height. Then buy some shocks that length. Installing internal spacers under the current shock pistons will also work, but will probably also limit the stroke and you'll lose articulation.

Not sure what your goal is on the steering draglink. What you have is pretty basic but looks like it should work. If you just don't like the looks of the all-thread, cover the exposed part with black heat-shrink tubing. But if it doesn't work properly, give us some more details.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:26 AM   #12
Hal
Quarry Creeper

I would lower the car at the skid plate to 2.75 to 3.0 max. Its a very simple mod, just use some rubber tubing that fits over the shock shaft. If you put it on the inside below the piston it will limit the length of the shock in the extended position. Put it on the outside of the shock and it will limit up-travel on the shock. I use silicone fuel tubing in my shocks. My local hobby store sells it by the foot and it is very inexpensive. Outside of using tubing get shorter shocks. Laying the shocks down more will help also. Move top of shocks towards center of chassis. It will lower the car and still retain wheel travel (or give more actually.) Laying shocks more horizontal makes springs act like they are softer and shock oil wil seem like it is thinner oil. Good luck, later.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #13

Thanks again guys!

I don't think I'll be going to comps, and I don't think there's anything near me anyway. With that said, I will be looking for longer run times so I think I like the MAH rating of this battery. I made a template out of cardboard and am keeping an eye out for a scrap piece of tin to work with.

I've decided to spend at least a portion of today tearing into the axles and servicing them, probably the shocks too. Good idea about the fuel line inside the shocks, I was wondering how I might do that. However, I don't know that I like the idea of taking travel away as I was thinking about articulation loss as well. I'll probably just move them back on the chassis and see how that looks and feels. Winter came back so I've got some time to tinker before I go find some rock piles.

I was wondering if I can convince the wife to let me bring in some rocks and make a pile in our back yard. Our yard isn't that big, so I wouldn't be able to make much of a pile without taking up half the yard so I'm thinking perhaps not. I dream that one day we'll move to an acreage and have all the space I want for my toys! The worst part about this hobby is traveling to a place to run them. Especially my Baja.

About the drag link, the previous owner said that it stripped out and he super glued it back together. I'm expecting it to get wrecked so I'm thinking I might as well find something to replace it sooner rather than later.

Last edited by IVIayheIVI; 03-11-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
I would lower the car at the skid plate to 2.75 to 3.0 max. Its a very simple mod, just use some rubber tubing that fits over the shock shaft. If you put it on the inside below the piston it will limit the length of the shock in the extended position. Put it on the outside of the shock and it will limit up-travel on the shock.
Tubing over the shaft limits the up-travel and will lower the car? You sure about that?
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:31 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
Tubing over the shaft limits the up-travel and will lower the car? You sure about that?
Yes on both actually. Depending on placement. If you put tubing on the shaft outside of the shock body it will limit up-travel. If you put tubing Under the piston Inside the shock body it will lower the vehicle. There's several ways to make changes with the shocks. If you put a small diameter spring under the piston it will try to compress the shock. (semi droop system).

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
jollyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #16
Hal
Quarry Creeper

There is a simpler way to find how much to lower the truck using the shocks with zip ties or some twine. Put the shocks on and use the zip ties or twine to pull the shocks to a compressed point you like. It is like a limit strap on a 1:1 rig. Try the rig out and fine tune with the zip ties or twine to get it to a point you like. Now measure the exposed portion of the shock shaft. Remove shock and take piston out. Slide a small piece of tubing on the shock to let the shaft extend the same amount you measured. Put it back together and try it out. I try to only make one change at a time when tuning so it is easy to tell if it is working better or not. Too many changes at once is hard to figure out what one made it better and which made it worse. Start crawling.Later
Old 03-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #17
Hal
Quarry Creeper

Don't worry too much about lowering the rig as long as you have around 2 3/4 inch under the belly. Too much articulation can hurt some times. If the wheel keeps falling in to holes it will get stuck. Sometimes you want to "hop" over a hole or void in the rocks. It is common practice to cut/grind the tread off the side walls of the tires. It stops your rig from getting sucked in to areas that you just want to run along. I only do the fronts. It also makes the tire more flexible, like running softer foams kinda. A lot of this I learned from guys I comp with. Your LHS can be a big help also. Later
Old 03-19-2017, 12:55 AM   #18

I finally found some time this weekend to finish servicing the axles. The oil in the shocks was still clear, but the rear ones were pretty much empty from sitting for so long so I just filled them back up and put them on. I moved the shocks inward on the body about as far as I could go without losing a lot of travel from the body hitting the upper links.

Next thing I need to do is drill out the holes in the rear hubs.... they are not the same as the front hubs, the hexes don't fit inside. The previous owner just bolted them on a drove it, and I wondered if the rear axles were bent as they were not sitting entirely flat. The challenge here is that it needs a bit of a flange inside to accommodate the shape of the hex. I hope I don't screw them up or I'll be trying to find new pieces for the hubs.

Then it's the battery box... my 2 year old nephew paid a visit to my house while I was at work and tore apart my cardboard template. :(

I did find some metal to make the battery box though... my dryer died, so I have all kinds of tin to work with. Silver lining I guess... lol!

IVIayheIVI.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #19

So I got my battery box finished and have had it out for a few runs. It's been a blast! My roommate picked up a Redcat Rockslide RS10 XT so I have a crawling buddy too!

Here's links to some pics for those who are interested. I made it kindof wrap around the servo but angle it up a bit, not laying flat on the servo to avoid heat buildup. I think it turned out alright.

Battery Box:
https://goo.gl/photos/vfnq9k1LRBU3tYXU9

Action Pics:
https://goo.gl/photos/pf8ZuaQPRg78EHXX8

I ran into trouble with my controller tonight, I posted about it in the electronics section. I'm thinking I have to tear it apart. :(

The truck is performing great! I fixed up the steering linkages and it's been running strong ever since.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:13 PM   #20
Hal
Quarry Creeper

WOW! That realy is a big battery for a crawler lol. What kind of run times do you get? I run a 450 ma on mine and get about 10 minutes. For practice I will sometimes use a 850 ma. Mainly I am worried about weight up that high. If you do change to a smaller battery pay attention to weight bias, (front to rear.) If it runs good there try to keep same bias with other batteries. Mine sits opposite side of servo. Rig looks good, keep on crawling.

Got my XR10 today! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comp-winning xr10 as stock as possible today ? CrawlrKing Axial XR10 4 05-27-2013 05:25 AM
Just got my XR10 today!!!! cheek Axial XR10 14 01-26-2012 07:41 PM