Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Another XR10 Build by a Total Noob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Another XR10 Build by a Total Noob

So I was browsing facebook marketplace for parts to fit my honcho. I got intrigued by a post for an xr10 comp kit that was never completed. It has tons of upgrades, still has the box and so I start negotiating. I got to a price I was happy with and met up to exchange greenbacks for future fun time.

I am super overwhelmed by this huge unfinished project. I think if I inventory it all and start working my way through the build process I will have a very sweet sporty rig when all is said and done.

Here I will begin with the inventory. I will begin with the stuff that is still in a bag/labeled as i will be easiest to identify.

Chassis:
OEM Axial Kit chassis set
Optional Axial Carbon Chassis set, Carbon Shock Hoops and Carbon Servo Mounts
BJ4 Chassis
T1E CHassis

Wheels and tires:
Axial Kit Wheels with weights and all that in bag J
VP SLW V4 1.00 Raw
VP DHProComp II Raw
2x VP DH Beadlock Rings
SLW Hex Hubs 600
DH Hex spacers 585
3x VP .6 SST weights
VP brass knuckle weights
2x VP xr10 brass bearing kit
HB Rover Tires complete set of the Blue Dot Rock Crawler
Axial Cabon Fiber Wheel Weight Spacers

Suspension:
Axial aluminum body shocks all around
losi springs 2.75" 1.6 rate grey and 1.4 rate gold
Axial Kit Arms
Homemade Arms
Chaotic Crawler BJ4 Arms
Traxxas rod ends

Electronics
Hitec 7950 TH servo
2x Tekin FX-R ESC
Futaba 4PL 4channel radio
Futaba R2104GF receiver

Drivetrain:
2x Holmes 540 Torquemaster Pro 35T
Axial Titanium gear shafts
Lots of VP axle goodies, servo cage, c hubs and knuckles up front, lockouts in the rear etc that I need to figure out exactly what it is.

I also have a bag of bearings, a bag of gears and a pile of hardware that I have since started sorting.

VP knuckles to change the rear to rear steer I believe
Rowdy Racing Covered Battery Mount
Clear lexan Hardline Body
Some body plates for BJ4 I assume

]

Unfortunately it all has been in a home where they smoked inside. There is the typical smoker smell and residue on it all but I think I got a great deal still on something that will one day be sweet.

Last edited by odomandr; 07-01-2018 at 06:38 PM.
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Another XR10 Build by a Total Noob

My reference Bible
http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax90017
Harley's Complete XR10 Guide whoever the buyer was followed this to a T
Best XR10 Wiring Jobs...
XR10 Bible
Axial XR10 Tips & Tricks
XR10 Picture Archive

Last edited by odomandr; 06-28-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:41 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Looks like a killer find.

I picked up a smoker’s chassis once and was able to kill most of the smell with a soaking of Super Clean from the parts house. The remaining smell was covered with some Febreeze and a little Ozium as well as some ‘outside time’.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yeah it looks like the links on it are home made. there is a set of links from chaotic crawlers and the traxxas rod ends may be just the ticket to fit them. By the time i take those off, rebuid the shocks and check the gears I think I will have access to all the areas to wipe clean. the sun really does help bleach things and kill some smells. I will look into SuperClean I know the LHS that specializes in crawling doesnt carry any cleaner. Maybe Hobby town does.

Looks like i got a kit to finish off like I was asking for on TW
Old 06-27-2018, 07:51 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Get the Super Clean at any auto parts house.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:28 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Decided to build the BJ4 from this pile o parts

looking at pictures to see the way everyone set up the CC links on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoCrawler View Post
Here you go. Too pretty to drive.

Attachment 167482
I think I have it all set and I got the ROWDY RACING battery mount on as well. I guess it is time to start with the wheels and tires and electronics. I had debated selling the HB Rovers but I figure I am building this to 2011 spec and that was what was up when the truck was all purchased. I have also gone back and forth on selling the fxr pair and getting a sidewinder micro pair instead.

Last edited by odomandr; 07-20-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Man,,,, it is GOOD to see someone else on here! Unfortunately, the XR scene is almost dead. DLUX for example, is cranking out amazing new designs and parts for the other MOA offerings, so it's not as much fun looking for parts in our world. There are definitely parts still available for the XR, but it takes a little work to track down. I sure do miss the excitement of researching and deciding what wicked new goodies to make it rain $$$ down on one of my favorite toys. There's definitely more room for improvement on mine, but I'm about as far as I'm going with it. I'm confident that it's a contender in the right hands. I'm basically in a maintenance mode now. I've recently been giving it a rebuild and freshening up anything that is worn. My next focus is building a Super just for fun. There's not much of a comp scene for Super on the planet, but 2.2 MOA isn't a huge class either. I'm going to start traveling to comps and hitting any tracks that I come across along the way as well.
You got a really great set of parts to work with. Don't you dare get rid of those Rovers! Lol. The market isn't exactly flooded with them and they are great to have on hand in some conditions. Shave the sidewalls and maybe sipe them. One thing I didn't see on your parts list was a BEC. You are definitely going to need one. The 7950 servo is a great unit and the BEC will get all the performance it has to offer. Another thing that you should check out is if the rear axle has the 2 bolt mod done by the previous owner. The rear axle has a weakness in the design. With the awesome power the Holmes motor has, it will spread the housing out and strip the gears. Here's a link to the mod if you need it. I've never posted a link before, so if I did it wrong you can search for it using; Mark Reel 2 bolt mod. I think it's post #162 on the thread. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/344974-mark-reels-xr10-build-11th-place-nats-post3504345.html You can check out my thread also. I think I posted it during my build.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
jollyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have noticed that finding information is tough and parts is tougher. I wish pictures were still in many of the threads as I am very visual. I have the rovers mounted to the VP DH and SLW wheels. I have decided to build it exactly how someone might have in 2010 when it was all purchased and the build was started. That means I am not putting any more money into it either. The gears from the kit are still in their bag, I have the VP brass bearings and will lookk into the 2 bolt mod for it as well when I take the axles off and inspect them prior to soldering anything to run it. I have a feeling that it is all solid because it sounds right when I turn it and everything is just so prime on it. thanks for stopping by and giving me some solid advice I will be checking the axles in the coming weeks and will let you know if it hasnt already been done.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:43 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

So apparently there is a chrome add on that will help with recovering some of those lost pictures. It seemed to be working last night on my computer. This makes things so much easier
Old 07-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

After talking to a few people at local hobby shops I was a bit frustrated by everyone suggesting I should use a pair sidewinder micro escs even though I had a pair of brand new in the box Tekin FXRs. I wanted to build this rig from the box of parts I bought without spending any more on it. I also wanted to build it with the parts from 2011 instead of the latest and greatest smaller lighter esc from castle. I figure I will learn something from it all and leave me somewhere to upgrade things if i go that route.

I got the deans soldered on the thunder power batteries that were in the box and ordered the balance board to fit them (still waiting on a delayed shipment)....and after looking at a bunch of different wiring setups I have begun to tackle that too. I hope to have it running by the end of the weekend. I need to grab a couple bullet connectors for the motors and put the bec inline with the battery wires from the FXRs. I think I have made the right choice despite the tight fit in the chassis. I am planning on getting some wire loom once it is all to length. I know the bullets will add weight as will the fxr pair. I am ok with that as I will only be learning to drive for now with it any way. No plans to comp it per se.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2018, 09:10 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyjeeper View Post
Man,,,, it is GOOD to see someone else on here! Unfortunately, the XR scene is almost dead. DLUX for example, is cranking out amazing new designs and parts for the other MOA offerings, so it's not as much fun looking for parts in our world. There are definitely parts still available for the XR, but it takes a little work to track down. I sure do miss the excitement of researching and deciding what wicked new goodies to make it rain $$$ down on one of my favorite toys. There's definitely more room for improvement on mine, but I'm about as far as I'm going with it. I'm confident that it's a contender in the right hands. I'm basically in a maintenance mode now. I've recently been giving it a rebuild and freshening up anything that is worn. My next focus is building a Super just for fun. There's not much of a comp scene for Super on the planet, but 2.2 MOA isn't a huge class either. I'm going to start traveling to comps and hitting any tracks that I come across along the way as well.
You got a really great set of parts to work with. Don't you dare get rid of those Rovers! Lol. The market isn't exactly flooded with them and they are great to have on hand in some conditions. Shave the sidewalls and maybe sipe them. One thing I didn't see on your parts list was a BEC. You are definitely going to need one. The 7950 servo is a great unit and the BEC will get all the performance it has to offer. Another thing that you should check out is if the rear axle has the 2 bolt mod done by the previous owner. The rear axle has a weakness in the design. With the awesome power the Holmes motor has, it will spread the housing out and strip the gears. Here's a link to the mod if you need it. I've never posted a link before, so if I did it wrong you can search for it using; Mark Reel 2 bolt mod. I think it's post #162 on the thread. Mark Reel's XR10 Build 11th place at nats - Page 6 - RCCrawler You can check out my thread also. I think I posted it during my build.

Also Thank you I guess my response I had typed on my phone did not send. I do have the BEC for the servo. I am going to look into the 2 bolt mod as soon as I have it running. Ill tear it back down and check before i really run it
Old 07-20-2018, 04:47 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

run the Tekins. they are super smooth. i ran them in mine.
losiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:19 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I got it all wired outside the chasss today. All soldered with bullets and deans and shrink wrap and the 4PL is programmed for dual esc. I did run into one issue that is keeping me from tucking it all and taking it on its maiden journey.

I think i need to rotate the motor or swap terminals. bullet terminals were wired so I couldnt accidently swap them somehow so I need to fix it

Last edited by odomandr; 07-20-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

So i pulled the front motor out this morning and got it turned around and back in. I think this thing is about ready to go. The trim on the steering is set and the 4pl seems to be programmed correctly for dual esc per an old harley video. Thank you all that took the time to post in the past I think this could have been much more difficult without a wealth of information from those who came before me.

Last edited by odomandr; 07-21-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:18 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

So after playing a bit today it seems the rear axle was built with overdrive gears in it. I was always under the impression you overdrive the front. Maybe this build got paused in the middle of a rear steer setup. I know i was able to turn the rear down to catch up with the front via a radio. I am thinking I need to swap some stuff front to rear now but I can at least drive it and begin the wire tuck now that I am confident it will drive with no major issues, i wont be able to get it far but I will try
Old 07-22-2018, 03:52 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

The gearing front to back is the same. Your issue is most likely in the transmitter programming. Check the EPA's and make sure the front is all the way up. If you have dig, 4wd, and RWD assigned to a switch and are able to cycle through positions then you can start trying to isolate what setting is off. I don't have any experience with the FXR's, but it could be a programming issue there. Usually the ESC's are programed to match, other than motor direction. I'd start there to double check and then get deep into the radio settings. I bet you are real close to having it set up right. It can be one simple adjustment away from perfection.

jollyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

well I couldn't stand the wires as they were; not trimmed to length, all twirled up inside the chassis. This morning I took it back off the shelf and cleaned up the wiring from the rear esc to the front esc, re-did the deans plug with some wire wrap, also trimmed the motor leads more to length. I could almost just put bullets on the esc somehow. I still need to plug into a castle link and check the servo voltage but I also re-centered the horn and reset the trims that were a bit off. I got the front and the rear running the same rate via the radio but I still need to open up the axles and check on things in there, at which point I will figure out the gears and the shafts and see if I need the brass bushings, the titanium upper shaft and maybe the two bolt mod mentioned above. I think I got this one completed now except for upgrades.....sounds hilarious to say that I have not purchased anything extra for this rig. I need to rebuild the shocks with appropriate wt oil. They feel too stiff and I have some losi springs, grey for the front and gold for the rear. I also have the VP bullets and the VP brass knuckle weights to figure out the front weight.

Build Sheet:
BJ4 Chassis
Chaotic Crawler Links
VP upper link mount
Stock Shocks for the time being
VP DH4 front
VP SLWV4 rear
HB Rover blue dot
Castle BEC
Futaba 4PL
Hitec 7950TH
VP servo armor
Racers Edge servo horn
Rowdy Racing Battery tray
VP Knuckles
VP Hubs
VP Lockouts
VP transmission case
Holmes Hobbies Torque Master Pro 540 35T

I would appreciate any input on shock oil wt. I have considered getting a bunch of big bore shocks for this and my honchos not sure if it is worth it to deal with leaking all over the place.
Attached Images

Last edited by odomandr; 07-22-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:37 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyjeeper View Post
The gearing front to back is the same. Your issue is most likely in the transmitter programming. Check the EPA's and make sure the front is all the way up. If you have dig, 4wd, and RWD assigned to a switch and are able to cycle through positions then you can start trying to isolate what setting is off. I don't have any experience with the FXR's, but it could be a programming issue there. Usually the ESC's are programed to match, other than motor direction. I'd start there to double check and then get deep into the radio settings. I bet you are real close to having it set up right. It can be one simple adjustment away from perfection.

You were correct, I had the setting reversed in the radio that was causing the rear to ramp up instead of the front. Now that I got it set the way my brain thinks, I got it going in a way that I believe to be mostly correct.

I think getting the Tekin Hotwire or learning the button programming will be the next most helpful thing for the response. Right now it seems fine but I think it could be better. So time to plug it into a computer it seems to set the parameters will be easier than button presses and light sequence x2.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:57 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

i run losi mini rock crawler springs with 30wt all around. id have to check which rate springs they are for you. prob cant get them anymore
losiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:14 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by losiking1 View Post
i run losi mini rock crawler springs with 30wt all around. id have to check which rate springs they are for you. prob cant get them anymore
Perfect I actually have 30 in the cabinet. I have 1.6 rate for the front and 1.4 rate for the rear in these losi springs. I guess I can build them to that spec and see where I stand.

Another XR10 Build by a Total Noob - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st post - 1st build - total noob Sebhb Axial SCX10 II 48 05-28-2017 03:18 PM
Total NOOB question. dozerboy Vaterra Twin Hammers 15 10-02-2013 06:59 AM
Total noob Jeepnick Axial AX-10 Scorpion 13 12-05-2011 05:23 AM