Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Speculation on Upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Speculation on Upgrades

So looking at the video from Axial, a few things have been pointed out as likely needing upgrades ASAP.

1. Steering Servo. Currently the XL has a 151 oz servo to turn those monster 7.25" OD tires. I am personally looking at something like this as what I would like to upgrade to: Standard WR-7701 Waterproof "Mega Torque" High Voltage Brushless Servo

2. Tires. Looks like maybe they need better foam to keep their shape a little better. Jury is still out on that to be honest.

3. Rear Suspension. Based on the video the rear end cant keep up with the front in the whoops type terrain. Bounces really bad and the rear tires stay in the air instead of on the ground. Hopefully its just a shock tuning issue, but may need upgraded shocks and/or softer sway bar (if there is a sway bar on it, cant see one on the Axial pics).

4. Hubs. Unsure if they are a better, stronger design than the standard Yeti, if not they will be the first thing stripped out most likely.

5. Steering Links. With the video showing the front tires flopping around like they are in the rough, the servo and servo saver are likely to blame, but it cant be good on the steering links either. Looks like they are molded plastic, may be worthwhile to upgrade to titanium, etc.

Thats my list, all speculation of course. Im sure in the next few weeks actual reports will start coming out and we can get hard evidence. Should be fun

Wes
WesTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
I joined the Band!

Default Re: Speculation on Upgrades

With wheels this size I would think that the lower arms will see some improments. I also am waiting to see just what needs improvement before I buy one. I will pick up a body as soon as possible to fit to a brushless revo on a custom chassis so that the wheel base is correct. It should be fun to compare the 2.
twissted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
I joined the Band!

The wheels should be something that gets changed and the best way would be to make 24mm hub adapters to fit 1/5 style beadlocks. if you look at most of the tires sizes on the HPI Baja style tires they are almost this big and some are bigger.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

The coolest mod I can think of would be a rear axle that was moulded to use CVD axles and move the ring and pinion up so that it looks like the Worminator housing but with a ring and pinion. You add that to the list of cool looks this thing has and people will break the doors down, trying to get there hands on one.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

As for the best tire to compete with in this size that would be the Losi Claw losi Aftershock tires for U4 events in my opinion.
unless you start custom building tires.

Last edited by twissted; 10-16-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Aluminium axle. Chubs, knuckles, and lockouts. Trusses, links, diff cover, lockers. Probably all from vanquish
lostonthetrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:50 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

one thing with 1/5 scale wheels and tires if used I would be curious about is comparison to the weight of the stock tires.

When I did a 1/5 scale savage conversion, I picked up a set of 1/5 scale wheels and tires and was suprised how much heavier they were than similar sized MT wheels and tires. Talking to someone who ran the 1/5 brushless 5SC Flux for HPI, he advised me that part of the axle breakage issues was due to the weight when using wheels that were not the included "glued" ones due to the addtional weight tied to there way of doing the axles which was not the strongest method.

Hopefully the Yeti XL already addresses axle strength out of the box.
Cainlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
I joined the Band!

It is hard to say what will be the differance untill they are weighed. I would think that the Sand paddles would be fairly light weight. I would use 3.8 rims for everything, due to weight and also the rubber is thinner so the tire as well as the rims are lighter. I like the Losi claws for most of the type of driving that I would use this style of rc. The hardcore summit crawler guys love them.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Most plastic non-beadlock wheels are gonna be 5-10oz.
Most plastic beadlock wheels are gonna be 9-14oz.
Most aluminum beadlock wheels are gonna be no less than 16oz.

Most applicable 7"-8.5" tires are 12oz-17oz. I know there's a range there...just what to expect. My guess is the stock wheel/tire will be the lightest option @ ~22oz.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #10

I'm thinking it will need new wheels and tires ASAP.

And I really hope some one makes stub axles with standard 17mm hex and 17mm wheel nut.

My next upgrade would be the 2 speed trans and a new radio so I can actually shift the trans.

Then swap the stock steering servo to trans duty and get a real servo in there for the steering.

With all that finished, the shocks need some tuning. The rears in particular seam to be set up ether to stiff, or to soft stock as the back end wants to buck on the rough stuff.

With all that sorted out, Next on my list would be to fill the front diff with Bluetack to semi lock it, and then probably change the stock motor and ESC out for a sensord system.

Then it needs some lights!
Badmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:54 AM   #11
I joined the Band!

Mickey Thompson 40 Series 3.8" Baja MTZ Scale Tires
with the right 17mm wheel adapters I would look at these tires from rc4wd.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #12
I joined the Band!

To show just how big the Yeti tires are here is a set of trenchers in 3.8 (bottom) and the 1/5 scale Trenchers on top. The top is a 7.55" tire which is very close to the Yeti XL tire size. What is really cool is if you want a narrow tire like what I have here get the front tires and for wide get the rear tires of a set of both wide on back and narrow on front.
Because of the design of the baja style of bead lock if your mostly rock crawling you will not need foam in side the tires.

So if you put on a set of 24mm adapters you can have true bead locks and tires that are very close in size.

HPI Racing 102530 Aluminum Wheel Hux Hub Set 24mm Gray 4 | eBay

So now you have your first up grade to a better wheel and more types to tire to choose from, including Sand paddles.

But for those of you that want to run the 17mm hub and run the 3.8 17mm hub look at the savage 17mm hubs. And you just might because the 3.8 have a softer compound. On the trenchers the lugs are deeper on the 1/5 scale so they feel almost as soft because of this.
Integy 17mm Hex Wheel Hub Savage INTC22926 | eBay

Last edited by twissted; 10-26-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:46 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Don't you think the extra weight of a 1/5 scale tire's going to damage the drive line, think about it fella. They probably weigh 2-3 times more than the XL wheels.
millzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

+1, be curious of a weight comparison.
Cainlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #15
I joined the Band!

If I was mostly rock crawling I would pull the foam out. because of the larger inside dia. of the wheel you get less flex in the wheel. this would take a lot of the wheel weight out. 1/5 foam is dense and weighs more. You can use aluminum hex bolts to save weight also. and if your wallet is deep enough titanium.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:36 AM   #16

When you see one in the flesh as I did yesterday I really don't think your first impression will be that it needs larger tyres. There's plenty of options in 3.8" tyres including sand paddles so I cannot think why you'd use a comparably sized 1/5 scale tyre with all the extra rotating mass to screw up your drivetrain. I could be missing something but I don't see any advantage to the 1/5 tyres for this application.

Last edited by Naim; 11-07-2014 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Correction of typo
Naim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I haven't gotten my yeti xl yet in the mail nor have I seen one in person but I use to have a summit with 3.8 wheels and I didn't see the need for anything bigger. I'm guessing the same will be said for the yeti. Between proline and rc4wd, there are plenty of 3.8 options for tires and rims
Jsouza1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Speculation on Upgrades - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Speculation in 3.....2......1...... kikcaffine Chit Chat 623 05-29-2010 12:32 PM
Is it just a rumor, or well founded speculation..... BEELZEBOB Tires and Wheels 112 04-20-2009 07:32 PM