Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Yeti XL Aftermarket Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2016, 03:10 AM   #301
RCC Addict

Default Re: Yeti XL Aftermarket Thread

I got the new front diff in and cleaned the truck up quite a bit. Still wanna replace the bearings on the rear diff and check it, but man that new front diff has a really crunchy mesh. Can't say it's unusual, when I got the helical gears for my SCX10, it was also super crunchy. Otherwise, the rig should be ready once the weather clears up. I'll post up pics in a bit.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2016, 10:13 AM   #302
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
I got the new front diff in and cleaned the truck up quite a bit. Still wanna replace the bearings on the rear diff and check it, but man that new front diff has a really crunchy mesh. Can't say it's unusual, when I got the helical gears for my SCX10, it was also super crunchy. Otherwise, the rig should be ready once the weather clears up. I'll post up pics in a bit.
Its gonna cause heat and either bearing failure or plastic failure!!!! I've been through 3 axels and bulkheads and when I tried to install them in my Vanquish it was obvious that the GEARS ARE WRONG FROM THE COMPANY THEY USE THE SAME DEPTH SET AS THE STRAIGHT CUT GEARS BUT THEY ARE WRONG IT WILL CAUSE PRESSURE ON THE HOUSINGS AND BEARINGS AND COST YOU MONEY AND FRUSTRATION ...The plastic has give making you feel unsure causing the nochy feel.... they will blow I'm making a video for my pinion modification this week ,but I feel like its a waste of time because I don't get much feedback...I'm just trying to help my fellow xl heads...I am contacting Axial about their speck design flaw...
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:34 AM   #303

I have the new gears in my Vanquish Rear Axle Assembly and Front Bulkhead Dhawk Racing. What I did is where the shims would go agents the Bevel Gear used a dremel and slowly ground the back of the gear down to get a good gear mesh.
I left a little crunchy mesh but the first run everything works great and smooth.
Willy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:02 AM   #304
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy43 View Post
I have the new gears in my Vanquish Rear Axle Assembly and Front Bulkhead Dhawk Racing. What I did is where the shims would go agents the Bevel Gear used a dremel and slowly ground the back of the gear down to get a good gear mesh.
I left a little crunchy mesh but the first run everything works great and smooth.
Yes that is the mod that I'm talking about. I found that if you cut 90 degrees to the pinion on the front edge of the rim it's just about perfect. I install my spacer to check to make sure that all of the teeth were ground evenly in there are no high points riding against the bearing mine was completely free No resistance at all.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:16 AM   #305
Rock Crawler

If you have one...you can put the pinion in a drill press with a 1/2" chuck and then use the dremel to make your clearance grind while the pinion is spinning in the drill press. It will come out pretty true and it will be fast.
Fordfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:20 PM   #306
RCC Addict

Thanks for the idea guys, I know it even says on the package "NO SHIMS REQUIRED" but they seem way too tight. It's also an uneven kind of mesh, being tight only halfway through the spin and then a tad more relaxed the rest of the way. I noticed when installing them that the amount of material added looks like much more than the 2 factory shims that I had on the straight gears, more like they added material to compensate for 4-5 shims.

I'll think about it.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #307
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Thanks for the idea guys, I know it even says on the package "NO SHIMS REQUIRED" but they seem way too tight. It's also an uneven kind of mesh, being tight only halfway through the spin and then a tad more relaxed the rest of the way. I noticed when installing them that the amount of material added looks like much more than the 2 factory shims that I had on the straight gears, more like they added material to compensate for 4-5 shims.

I'll think about it.
This is what I was talking about two weekends ago.. 15 + 6$ runs on hot top with a locker blistering donughts and it just wants more !!! Think what you want but I feel like mines finally bulletproof...
Old 02-15-2016, 04:38 PM   #308
RCC Addict

Yeah I see that now in the older "New gears" thread, last I checked that out was a couple weeks ago before the later posts of 2-10. I might deal with it tonight while I take inspect the rear axle.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:38 PM   #309
I wanna be Dave

So the little step on the back of the pinion head, you just grind that down and all is good? I got HD gears on the way.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:54 PM   #310
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
So the little step on the back of the pinion head, you just grind that down and all is good? I got HD gears on the way.
Yup, that's what I did. Thanks to BarHarborBasher for the heads up! Awesome advice!
YXLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:16 PM   #311

I went a little at a time. Then checked the fit. I left the gear mesh a little tight and ran the truck slow every thing ran smooth after that. I have not had any trouble with gears sense.
Willy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:17 PM   #312
Quarry Creeper

Haha continued problems with the yxl. Why am I not surprised. Glad you guys are doing these mods, it'll save me a ton of rage when I get mines up and running.
Mudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:56 PM   #313
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXLER View Post
Yup, that's what I did. Thanks to BarHarborBasher for the heads up! Awesome advice!
Thanks for the credit man !!! You made my night !! One thumb up for helping solve a HUGE ISSUE doesn't seem very rewarding to me !!!! I'm just trying to help out the community and save people the disappointment of broken parts and time lost bashing!!
Old 02-15-2016, 09:02 PM   #314
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
ya that's it bud !! I didn't have any drag AT ALL
great idea about the drill press !! One of my backburner projects is DIY mini lathe..
Old 02-20-2016, 06:46 PM   #315
Rock Crawler

Any one have any feed back on the HD gear mod? i just ate a set of the HD gears and I put them in before Barharbor fixed the problem so now i need another set. i noticed the old gears are becoming discontinued so I have no choice.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:04 PM   #316
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
Any one have any feed back on the HD gear mod? i just ate a set of the HD gears and I put them in before Barharbor fixed the problem so now i need another set. i noticed the old gears are becoming discontinued so I have no choice.
I'll have a vid tomorrow or you can send them to me and I'll set you right up !!!!! I wont even charge a detectable lol
OR Maybe I'll make a video tonight...I've got to grind down two more sets for my fully independent 4 wheel steer high clearance yeti XXX I've finally got everything I need for the build...Ooo and I got my 20 tooth pinion & 56 spur!!! time to hit 100+M.P.H
Old 02-20-2016, 07:11 PM   #317
RCC Addict

STICK WITH THE BEVELED GEARS !!! I'VE BEEN BEATING THE TAR OUT OF THEM!!!! LITERALLY !!!! 2WD donuts all damn day!!!
Old 02-21-2016, 12:31 AM   #318
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately i would pass being that it only has one bead locked.

Though heavy, Motorworx nailed the idea.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:34 AM   #319
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
I'll have a vid tomorrow or you can send them to me and I'll set you right up !!!!! I wont even charge a detectable lol
OR Maybe I'll make a video tonight...I've got to grind down two more sets for my fully independent 4 wheel steer high clearance yeti XXX I've finally got everything I need for the build...Ooo and I got my 20 tooth pinion & 56 spur!!! time to hit 100+M.P.H
Looking forward to the vid. I can't seem to wrap my head around what you guys are talking about.

Also looking forward to the 100+mph vid. Good luck with that. Tall order even with a good motor geared right.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:21 PM   #320
RCC Addict

Found a new playground for the XL yesterday, just some riding trails but some huuuuge hill climbs that should be a lot of fun. The Summit didn't do too well on the hill climbs but that'll have the Castle Sidewinder 8th combo in it soon, so I can actually race the XL with it.

Yeti XL Aftermarket Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aftermarket springs question/thread Troublekitty Axial Wraith 6 11-10-2014 09:20 PM
yeti 1 week review/ build thread db450 Axial Yeti 0 09-10-2014 12:49 AM
Badger's Axial Yeti Rock Racer disassembly thread badger Axial Yeti 193 09-02-2014 11:25 AM
YETI Sightings Thread Ty@Tekin Axial Yeti 1 08-04-2014 03:58 PM