Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Yeti XL Aftermarket Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2017, 04:04 PM   #481
RCC Addict

Default Re: Yeti XL Aftermarket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I'd put a decent size cash wager on the fact that more bombers sold in one month last year then YXL's have in total since release

If Axial ever did a Bomber version I'd love to have one personally. While my personal desire to build parts for that would possibly sway the chances we'd -actually build parts, that doesn't mean we'd be able to swing our focus all that way. Solid axle is always my preference, and while I enjoyed my YXL for awhile it didn't really "trip my trigger" as they say. I want every Axial car to be a smash hit and sell thousands a month like an SCX, but it's just not the reality we are in.

I'd be willing to bet that no more YXL size cars are coming though.
Thanks for weighing in Harley
In a world of bigger is better & and power rules all it's hard to digest that Axial would ignore the popularity of 6S market... As you've probably noticed a lot of manufactors have released a a plethora of 6S capable vehicles... AXIAL unlike all other companies nails it with a semi-scale YXL... Speaking of Traxxas just entered scale world.. IMO the YXL fell short due to its lack of alpha test and fine tuning... Unfortunately a lot of Rc's are plauged with issues and that's where a community comes together and makes unbiased remarks hoping that the company resolves them and or a aftermarket manufacturers would address the issue.... I finally feel like I've done my part as a community member by notifying Axial and manufactors like yourself, helping with the V2 Dhawk bulkhead, exposing the issue to the community , fixing the issue, provided 200 free pinion modifications , and proving the Amazing versatility and capabilities of this Awesome rig..
And Harley... I thought independent suspension was a do all suspension system. But after building the bomber XL I have a whole new respect for straight axle vehicles. A great project would be to build one of these for yourself because it is more fun that I can describe with the words. If you're ever interested I'll trade you a chassis for an axle LOL
Looking forward to meeting you at Axialfest
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2017, 05:15 PM   #482

It's so true! Really wish we had more support. I currently have an array of HR and GPM parts. When RC4WD introduced their parts I had already invested else where. I thought about VP but found no support. So, I didn't even bother to check again. I have a set of the KMC 3.8 which I thought were VP parts but I'm unsure now. Got them off ebay.

Well I'm in the market again for parts. This time the front Bulkhead and trannycase. Which brand and why would you guys suggest? For Bulkhead there is HR, GPM and Dhawk. For trannycase theirs HR(which is currently out of stock) and GPM. I couldn't find any others.
RCWERKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #483
Pebble Pounder

I know I can be hard on the xl at times but I don't think I could ever part with it. Reading Harley's messages sure hurts about the future of the xl. The xl's durability and lack of support would be it's doing. As far as the sales comparison sure I can only imagine the difference. The initial cost, maintenance of the xl is def higher than the bomber etc. but you know what I'd choose the xl over those, it's bigger and badder, the bomber is def kool and sure it's generally more durable goin 15 mph bouncing rocks but doesn't get my heart pumping like the yeti.

The hope if not for anything is when and if the xl gets put out to pasture that it will remain a blueprint of things to come for other brands. Can you imagine traxxas or arrma coming out with a yeti clone. For one traxxas is a pipe dream as they have the maxx line but just think, even if u hate traxxas and the truck was a turd it would be supported forever and aftermarket would be all over it especially with their marketing. What about arrma, that thing would come out bombproof out the box so to speak. Anyway let's hope we will see this kind of truck in the future with the durability to match.

Last edited by Dionisi; 03-24-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Dionisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #484
I wanna be Dave

Losi would be my guess. Scale and durability. The rock rey is a beast. But bigger would be sick. Losi just released the DBXL-E which looks sick as well. So hopefully something in the middle is next.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:40 PM   #485
Quarry Creeper

Rock Rey XXL! Maybe even a nitro version! Yeah, baby!!!

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z5

Last edited by Tzicul; 03-24-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:01 PM   #486
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up Re: Yeti XL Aftermarket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzicul View Post
Rock Rey XXL! Maybe even a nitro version! Yeah, baby!!!

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z5
Losi! Even better. If they build it I'd buy it.
Dionisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:52 PM   #487

Hi - we read through all these pages and learned a lot (spent a lot too!) but we are still both asking one question.

What products from Hot Racing are not needed if one buys the Kit vs. RTR?

I'm wondering specifically about the rear links. The YXL kit has the aluminum wraps for the lower links so are the aftermarket aluminum ones really needed? Or is that more of a 'luxury' or 'bragging rights' upgrade? Obviously we can benefit from the aluminum upper links.

Same question for the sway bars. Needed or does the kit have adequate sway bars?

Shock caps w/reservoirs? Hot racing worth it or does are the kit parts just as good?

So far we have purchased Hot Racing -

Front diff case/alumim bulk head
Front shock tower
Front Steering upgrade
Aluminum front clip
Aluminum body mount

Steel spur gear
Transmission case
Heat sink motor mount
Aluminum motor mount plate
Aluminum differential case

Aluminum pivot balls

Rear chassis lower link mount
Rear chassis upper link mount

We also got the GPM front bumper absorber

We were going to hold off on the back aluminum parts until we got to that part of the build, but when we went out to the shop we realized we already had the back axle assembly done. haha....

Anyways.... hoping for some guidance. Everything we buy we must buy two of since theirs two of us.
pdxrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:08 AM   #488
RCC Addict

Tearing the XL down for a refresh...gonna clean the plastics up so that the new Barndog Racing panels aren't the only thing that look fresh, check the diffs, transmission, etc. Haven't checked the transmission for 2 years since I bought it. Gonna have to check on some parts before I get them to see what you guys think, since I've tried searching the thread but can't seem to find anything.

Bulkheads: Hot Racing or Dhawk?

Motor/ESC: Has anyone run the RTR and then gone sensored? Not sure if it's worth dropping the money just yet, but I love the sensored in my Slash. Has anyone run the Castle 2200kv sensored vs the RTR motor?

Last edited by THX_138; 04-07-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:08 PM   #489
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Tearing the XL down for a refresh...gonna clean the plastics up so that the new Barndog Racing panels aren't the only thing that look fresh, check the diffs, transmission, etc. Haven't checked the transmission for 2 years since I bought it. Gonna have to check on some parts before I get them to see what you guys think, since I've tried searching the thread but can't seem to find anything.

Bulkheads: Hot Racing or Dhawk?

Motor/ESC: Has anyone run the RTR and then gone sensored? Not sure if it's worth dropping the money just yet, but I love the sensored in my Slash. Has anyone run the Castle 2200kv sensored vs the RTR motor?

It should show up after a bit, sometimes a bit long but the moderators have to manually approve them when you're under 30 posts.
I've ran the 2200 Sensored setup and. It's far more impressive than the rtr ESC/motor combo I'd recommend the Castle plugs or XT150 connectors for the full experience

The Dhawk in my opinion this design better because the shock Tower doesn't act as a Leverage Factor, also there's only one bearing lobe divided instead of 2 . Also the V2 doesn't require a HD pinion modification. The advantage over the HR is that you can use the third bearing modification you cannot with Dhawk because of its design. I own both and haven't found any noticeable faults with either. Then again the stock bulkhead proved it's durability as well....

Last edited by BarHarborBasher; 04-04-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #490
RCC Addict

---

I started the XL rebuild 2 nights ago, got the front end and rear end torn down and awaiting parts. The causalities thus far:

2 rear pinion bearings seized
Steering link bent (stock plastic)
Rear upper link bent (stock plastic)
Front bulkhead 2/4 screw holes not threaded anymore
Snapped cvd pin in front driveshaft

So with the rear pinion bearings seized up, I will probably try to avoid the slate dumps until I get some sort of driveshaft boot...

Last edited by THX_138; 04-07-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:49 AM   #491
RCC Addict

Quote:
I started the XL rebuild 2 nights ago, got the front end and rear end torn down and awaiting parts. The causalities thus far:

2 rear pinion bearings seized
Steering link bent (stock plastic)
Rear upper link bent (stock plastic)
Front bulkhead 2/4 screw holes not threaded anymore
Snapped cvd pin in front driveshaft

So with the rear pinion bearings seized up, I will probably try to avoid the slate dumps until I get some sort of driveshaft boot...
Definitely a must do ! IMy diffs have stayed way cleaner !!

This is a cap from a 10pack 21mm bearing container.

Last edited by THX_138; 04-07-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #492
RCC Addict

Well what's ironic is that while the 2 rear pinion bearings seized, the inside of the rear diff was completely clean and the grease was only slightly discolored. I was very surprised since the front diff had a lot of dust in it, so I'll have to see if I have anything like that cap laying around that I can stick on the rear.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #493

Deleted.

Last edited by pdxrealtor; 04-09-2017 at 03:56 PM.
pdxrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #494

I have the front clip and the hot racing skidplate and hr steering bellcrank,,But the bellcrank is rubbing against the bulkhesd,,,any ideas?
lwtlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:18 PM   #495
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwtlarry View Post
I have the front clip and the hot racing skidplate and hr steering bellcrank,,But the bellcrank is rubbing against the bulkhesd,,,any ideas?
Depending on how much it's rubbing, just shave down the bulkhead right underneath the pinion with a file/sandpaper/dremel. It's the same process with the D-Hawk steering rack.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #496
I wanna be Dave

No picture or info yet but looks like HR is working on a rear axle.

YEX12RX01
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #497
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
No picture or info yet but looks like HR is working on a rear axle.

YEX12RX01
I've been victim by this... I've seen straight axle C-Hub adapters that I bought that turned out to be regular carriers , I've seen a BRASS PINION BUSHING and this rear Axle...
I speculate that HR puts out concepts of things that they would like to come out with and then they get a feel for the market... Too bad they never talked to me about any of this.. he's obviously thumbin through the threads I can say the best thing that anybody could ever do to a Yeti XL is install a center diff !!! Is the most durable, most radical, Most scale looking machine on the market
Old 05-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #498
RCC Addict

I wonder if it'll really happen, given that it seems like something that takes a ton of time/investment for the returns on a small amount of XL owners picking them up.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #499
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
I can say the best thing that anybody could ever do to a Yeti XL is install a center diff !!! Is the most durable, most radical, Most scale looking machine on the market
100% Agree on the Center Diff. Wonder if anyone makes a bolt in kit yet? Between a CD and the BHB mod , a YXL should be near perfect drivetrain wise.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:29 PM   #500
RCC Addict

It is guys !!!! I've been trying to break it with the XLX ESC on 8s 2200 kv nothing but broken body post and LVC !! Back to back 8s runs drifting on tar till LVC and not one break !!!!!!!! Oho I did explode a set of FACTORY GLUED ProLine Badlands right off the wheels in the pit !! Truly a amazing vehicle guys !!! Way way way better than stock !!!! I can't get enough!! I'm actually building a second...

Yeti XL Aftermarket Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aftermarket springs question/thread Troublekitty Axial Wraith 6 11-10-2014 09:20 PM
yeti 1 week review/ build thread db450 Axial Yeti 0 09-10-2014 12:49 AM
Badger's Axial Yeti Rock Racer disassembly thread badger Axial Yeti 193 09-02-2014 11:25 AM
YETI Sightings Thread Ty@Tekin Axial Yeti 1 08-04-2014 03:58 PM