Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Normal Diff Pinion Wear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Normal Diff Pinion Wear

Does this look like normal pinion wear, or is it possible that I should remove a shim? Or should I try something else? I'm using the recommended 2 shim per pinion gear setup from Axial. It seems a bit notchy to me though, especially when I try to roll the yeti back and forth.

relay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Normal Diff Pinion Wear

I'd suggest removing one shim it looks like the pinion is too deep appears the ring gear is contacting the bottom valley between the teeth of the pinion. When rolling the truck back and forth by hand the notchy feeling is most likely the motor magnets but could be a combination of things trans diffs and motor. When you roll the rear driveshaft by hand with the two shims installed and not connected to the trans is it notchy? If so then its probably the pinion depth is too deep. Just my $.02
ednerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:55 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ednerin View Post
I'd suggest removing one shim it looks like the pinion is too deep appears the ring gear is contacting the bottom valley between the teeth of the pinion. When rolling the truck back and forth by hand the notchy feeling is most likely the motor magnets but could be a combination of things trans diffs and motor. When you roll the rear driveshaft by hand with the two shims installed and not connected to the trans is it notchy? If so then its probably the pinion depth is too deep. Just my $.02

I think you're right you can see on the ring gear the teeth look to be hitting the valleys between the pinion teeth. Though the notchiness goes away when I disconnect the rear driveshaft from the trans and roll it by hand. Still though it seems the mesh is too tight so I'll try removing a shim and see how that works.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:34 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I'm sorry...the diffs in this thing are not up to scale. My front is stripped again. Axial is mailing me a replacement but it'll strip again. The diffs should be larger. The diffs in my Nitro Maxx are 1/8 hot bodies and are helical cut. After killing two sets of the small traxxas brushless Emaxx diffs I upgraded to a correct size. I have gallons on them ...and now on a Picco ....no problems at all....Maybe this rig needs 1/5 scale diffs or a front bulk and rear housing that will accept that size diff.
Also... The front shaft is too long. The doggone pin should be centered in the trans cup but the damn thing is almost bottomed out in it at rest. So under I forward flex the pinion just gets jammed into the front bulk and slams into the ring gear.
Fordfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:06 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I've gone through 2 ring and pinion gears at 38 a pop, and I'm afraid this one may need replacing pretty soon. Also tried replacing the front bulkhead but that doesn't seem to be the issue. We'll see if removing a shim will help. I haven't run it on 6S yet and I'm definitely afraid that will wreak instant havoc on these gears. I might see if Axial would reimburse me for the cost it's pretty hefty a price I've been paying.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:00 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I don't have issues with the rear. It's the front. An aluminum front bulkhead and a front driveshaft that is similar to the rear might be the fix. Any jumping causes the gear crash I guess. Land on the rear wheels you OK. Come down on the front your not.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfreak95 View Post
I don't have issues with the rear. It's the front. An aluminum front bulkhead and a front driveshaft that is similar to the rear might be the fix. Any jumping causes the gear crash I guess. Land on the rear wheels you OK. Come down on the front your not.

This is my experience aswell. Landing hard on the front with some throttle. Blowing through spares like candy on this model. But atleast I do it with a smile on my face (until it breaks again and Im like pirateaaargh!)
Drogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:03 PM   #8

i agree front diffs are problematic,both my buddy and i broke front diff parts today. 1 shimmed the other not
kcljr2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:52 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I'm going to see if I can fab up a rear drive shaft to fit the front. A slipper shaft would eliminate the chance of the pinion getting stuffed into the front bulk/ring gear area.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #10
RCC Addict

The diff issues people are having is the only reason I have not pre-ordered the XL kit yet.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:51 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
The diff issues people are having is the only reason I have not pre-ordered the XL kit yet.
I'd still get it. I don't regret buying the RTR. It needs mods but that is my favorite part of the hobby. Fabricating something and seeing it work. I came
Very close to getting a Losi DBXL but got the YXL instead. I like it a lot. The front diff issue will be solved probably right here. And I thinknis caused from 6s jumps
Landing on the front tires. And my front tires are not stock!

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfreak95 View Post
I'd still get it. I don't regret buying the RTR. It needs mods but that is my favorite part of the hobby. Fabricating something and seeing it work. I came
Very close to getting a Losi DBXL but got the YXL instead. I like it a lot. The front diff issue will be solved probably right here. And I thinknis caused from 6s jumps
Landing on the front tires. And my front tires are not stock!
I enjoy tinkering and getting into the problem solving, tear down, build back up, fabricating parts etc. But I don't like trying to solve this very expensive problem. I do think Axial has been trying to solve the problem themselves though, some evidence may be the front bulkhead re-design. So, it's possible that the new batch of RTRs and the Kits that will ship already have the issue solved. I wish I knew. I especially wish I knew definitively how to solve the problem. I just want to enjoy driving it without worrying if every minute of run time is costing me $2. All that said, I do think it's an amazing, one of a kind vehicle. Also, just like real cars I think the early models coming off the line inherently will have more problems than later more refined models.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:35 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Well I can now join the party...blew out my front diff today. After tearing it down I also noticed all the diff fluid leaked out. There wasn't any in the diff when I opened it just a light coating on the gears. Would explain why front end always seemed to diff out on rocks. Gonna be ordering replacements soon anyone have any experience with the hot racing aluminum diff bodies are they worth it?
keebler1510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:45 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by relay1 View Post
I enjoy tinkering and getting into the problem solving, tear down, build back up, fabricating parts etc. But I don't like trying to solve this very expensive problem. I do think Axial has been trying to solve the problem themselves though, some evidence may be the front bulkhead re-design. So, it's possible that the new batch of RTRs and the Kits that will ship already have the issue solved. I wish I knew. I especially wish I knew definitively how to solve the problem. I just want to enjoy driving it without worrying if every minute of run time is costing me $2. All that said, I do think it's an amazing, one of a kind vehicle. Also, just like real cars I think the early models coming off the line inherently will have more problems than later more refined models.
40-50 packs through my RTR both 6 and 4s never had any thing break other than shock caps from shit landings on 25 meter long jumps
stress less
get one and enjoy it . its the best rig ive ever used
bentles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:08 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentles View Post
40-50 packs through my RTR both 6 and 4s never had any thing break other than shock caps from shit landings on 25 meter long jumps
stress less
get one and enjoy it . its the best rig ive ever used
Even with it's terrible torque twist? It may have well been named the axial tricycle. If someone can explain why it made sense to put a swaybar on the 380 Yeti and not on the 480 Yeti, I am all ears.
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

i personally dont care about the torque twist, even if its on 3 Wheels when you floor it, its no big deal.
its not like if it was an on-road and in a race where it could make you loose 1/10 of a second per lap...
ImpalaPolicePack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:25 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

So everyone that's replacing the diff gears. Are you putting new diff gear gaskets and o rings? Just ordered gears and noticed the gaskets after.
keebler1510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:32 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

I don't mind the torque twist either. Kinda adds to the beastly persona. And it's an easy upgrade. I don't think many rtrs include them. I do think it is an odd inconsistency between the yeti and xl, why include one and not the other.

Just to keep it on subject. My front diff is starting to pop under heavy braking. After I'd say 30 or so packs through it, and countless hard landings on the front end. I've got a steep brake curve and 100% brake power programmed in, shims installed. It has taken serious abuse, but I'm kind of disappointed to see the diff already failing.
The fact that the rear is solid and takes the brunt of the torque makes me think it's some design flaw in the front and not the gears themselves.

Last edited by coryshad; 02-02-2015 at 11:43 PM.
coryshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:23 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

My XL kit is having front diff issues as well. I ran it on 4s two times and now I have the Pop under heavy braking. I pulled the front end apart and there is wear on the outside of the bevel and in the middle of the pinion. It is clearly a mesh problem..

Anyone found a solution?
BobTeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:38 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

I've gone through two front diffs now. Axial customer service sent me one and a purchased one. This last time I dry fitted everything with the bulkhead out of the RC. I did the diff first. I added shims inside the diff to take out play. I filled it with 100k fluid after that. I used Boca chromoly steel double rubber sealed bearings on the diff and fast eddy bearings in the pinion with solid aluminumin spacers between them (Dhawk on eBay) instead of that plastic piece. The diff has zero side to side play in the new bulkhead so I couldn't use shims behind the diff this time. All I can do is shim the pinion in and out. I got it all in and it spun freely with almost no play so we will see. I think...guessing...this thing is too damn heavy for the plastic front bulkhead and under flex the pinion goes way too deep into the ring gear and chews things up.
BUT...why are some people beating on their yeti XL and not having the front diff problem...how many are having it and are silent or don't post here. I may sell my xl before I use it again and just build something else. I don't want a rig I have to work on all summer. I do winter mods/rebuilds and changes. The warm weather is outside bash time.

Normal Diff Pinion Wear - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can someone show me or tell me how to Shim the pinion in the diff, thanks milestone RC4WD Trail Finder 2 12 04-02-2014 06:27 AM
mini inferno diff pinion rock hard Non Crawler RC's 0 12-17-2010 06:17 PM
Horrible rear pinion wear. losikid Team Losi Comp Crawler 16 11-02-2010 06:09 PM
Ring and pinion wear Tonelock HPI Wheely King 4 07-20-2009 03:30 AM