Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Robinson Racing Gen 3 slipper for 1/10 Yeti works.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Robinson Racing Gen 3 slipper for 1/10 Yeti works.

Your gonna need a hardened pinion gear to match the RR spur so get a 16 and a 17 and see which one you like. That RR spur will bust teeth off axial pinion gears. And Losi pinions. How do I know...guess!
Fordfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2015, 04:59 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Put the RR in last night. To get it to move w/o slipping I have to tighten it down so hard the truck barely rolls. I haven't been able to test much due to rain. The YXL is not indoor friendly. I'll test more when I can get it outside.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:40 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Put the RR in last night. To get it to move w/o slipping I have to tighten it down so hard the truck barely rolls. I haven't been able to test much due to rain. The YXL is not indoor friendly. I'll test more when I can get it outside.
Same here I ended up going back to stock slipper. The RR slipper woulod slip TONS even with the nut full tight.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:06 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

Well that sucks. I like the design of the RR much better. The stock slipper works, but it wears out too fast. I don't even think it wears out, it just gets all gummed up and stops working.

I wish RR would design a slipper specifically for the YXL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
Same here I ended up going back to stock slipper. The RR slipper woulod slip TONS even with the nut full tight.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:34 AM   #45
Rock Crawler

Im going to have to take mine apart and take pictures...I feel terrible some of you have issues with this slipper. No joke, I had to loosen mine twice yesterday afternoon. I flipped her over backwards twice at speed and destroyed my upper link aluminum rod ends...again...I have to re think my upper links. I bring plastic spares but they last all of 1/2 hour. I ease into the throttle but I was climbing giant piles of old discarded mulch and I needed speed to make it and as soon as I nail it the nutty girl would flip over and cartwheel like a gymnast.
But, I can't figured out what is going wrong with youz guyz slippers..?? I have a crap ton of packs on mine and I do know there was a break in period with it and I had to keep it really tight.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:44 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

How long does it take to break in or take a set. I tried it when I first finished my kit build and with the nut FULL tight the truck would not even crawl over a curb in the parking lot.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:18 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

My RR slipper is perfect. Just took some break-in and it's all good. I have it set just how I like it. She still lifts the front tire off when I roll on the full throttle but she doesn't get all crazy and spaz out. So far, I like this mod very much. Hopefully it's good for the long run.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Maybe I need to give this thing another shot? Deckard what did you do to break it in? OK I will give it another try.

Last edited by pro mod steve; 10-25-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:32 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

If you are tightening the nut down all the way and it's still slipping then something is up. It breaks in as it slips, like brake pads...let it slip and tighten it little by little until it is were you want it. I drove mine around with the spur cover off while I adjusted it the first time.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:57 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Thanks again Fordfreak gonna give it a shot.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:45 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

I did what Fordfreak suggest. I just drove it around on the street and let the spur gear heat up a bit. Then I adjusted the tension, drove, adjusted, drove, adjusted. Watch out for that spur gear when it heats up and you go in for the adjustment. It's just like new break pads.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:04 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
I want to do this mod, but I'm trying to wrap my head around the impact of going from a 68t spur to the 64t spur of the Robinson Racing slipper. Currently I run 68t spur and 17t pinion on 4s. My gear ratio is 4.00. Going to 64t spur to 17t pinon the gear ratio would be 3.76. Could that cause the motor to overheat? Drop torque? These numbers seem small and don't seem like they would make much difference. However, when I went from a 17t from the stock 15t pinion, the speed increase was very noticeable to me. With the 68t and 17t pinion, I'm really happy with the torque and speed of the vehicle.

Motor temps for me after hard driving are around 130 and 140 after "I just stole this Yeti XL" driving.
If you want to keep the same gear ratio when you switch to the 64t spur just use a 16t pinion. That will give you the same 4.00 gear ratio as before.
CamaroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

I put a 16T on when I installed the RR. I also picked up a 14T for when I decide to run 6s.

I did some more testing the RR seems to be great. It's nice to have a working slipper.

The real test will be this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroTom View Post
If you want to keep the same gear ratio when you switch to the 64t spur just use a 16t pinion. That will give you the same 4.00 gear ratio as before.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

I got my RR slipper coming in today, wanted to know how long it took for the pad to break in? You guys just tightened it all the way down, let it slip and break in then after it starts to grip, back it out till how much slip you want, correct?
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

I ran it for about 10 minutes. I had it tightened all the way after install and it slipped like crazy. As the pads heat up, then can be tightened more. A few more twists and it was good to go for me. You'll have to mess with it until it feels right for you. I don't think you can say "1/8 turn and it's perfect". Like suspension, it's a personal preference. 1/8 turn and it'll be perfect though (haha, kidding).

Have something handy to hold the spur gear because it will be hot, hot, hot.

I bet it will need even more adjust once I get it in the dirt and drive it hard.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

I WAS WRONG. The slipper has to take a set. After a month of rainy weekends I got back out today with 6S and the RR slipper full tight. It still slipped at first you could really hear it and smell it (when I had the body up) and would get hot so I would stop and let it cool a bit. Did this a few times and all of a sudden it just started to slip less and less till I actually had to loosen the nut a little. This was all just on 1 set of batteries. I am NOW sold that this set up works.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:18 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

I tightened mine all the way down, ran it up and down my street a few times on 4s (letting it slip), then tightened it down more and was back to 3 wheeling it. Only took a few minutes to fully grab.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:52 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

Ran 2 more sets of 6S today and it keeps getting better. After my first try I never would have thought this set up would work this good. I like it ALOT better than the aluminum pads.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:01 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Tore trans apart last week to lube bearings and gears. Went out today on 6S and it was like the slipper was new again. After a SHORT time would slip alot and I could hear it scream and smell it was hot. Checked with temp gun and 210 degrees. Set nut to full tight and let it cool and then all was good again it was working like before I took it apart and temps stayed about 100 degrees cooler. Not sure what is going on here but I am staying with it as I feel the slip is better than the stock aluminum pads galling up and going full lock and tearing stuff up.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Went out again today on 6S. Dropped punch control from 80 to 60% and was flawless. Ran 2 sets of packs and not 1 problem with truck or slipper.

Robinson Racing Gen 3 slipper for 1/10 Yeti works. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Robinson Gen 3 slipper sixhundred71 Axial Wraith 17 07-31-2015 01:08 AM
Robinson Racing Gen3 Slipper ednerin Axial Yeti XL 1 01-23-2015 08:08 PM
Robinson Racing slipper unit JDIRCC Axial Wraith 6 10-30-2014 05:52 PM
question for you all on the Robinson racing slipper? champ198 Axial Wraith 8 07-04-2013 06:09 AM
robinson racing slipper 48p kmas Axial Wraith 3 05-11-2012 10:08 PM