Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: This is a Monster....Yeti XL is a fitting name!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2015, 09:28 PM   #181
Pebble Pounder

Sorry redsawacs, I don't have any videos.
avted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2016, 08:10 AM   #182
RCC Addict

Default Re: This is a Monster....Yeti XL is a fitting name!!!

I really don't want to sell this thing, but is just sits there. I installed a Spektrum receiver and I get glitching at certain points along the road. I'm wondering if I have a bad receiver or if I'm getting interference easier since it is installed directly under the massive Castle Creations ESC.

Anyone else using spektrum and Castle Creations Mamba Monster?

I'm worried that something is going to make it go rogue and take out one of my kids while at full speed - then I would sell every RC I own and become a monk.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:35 AM   #183
Rock Crawler

I've considered ebaying mine lately. I want another 1/5 scale. But the YXL is uneque and lots of fun at the local park's debris site. If I drive calm it doesn't cost anything but space really. So it may be a mostly shelf queen for now IDK.
I don't know how you have your electrics wired up but my Spek sr3300t recievers on all my RCs have never liked powering my Hitec servos. Even on my Nitros I have 2s lipos run to CC becs that feed the servos. If I go through the RX even though it's 9v rated I get glitches and the fail safe kicks in. I have the MMX on my XL and run the servo off a cc BEC and have no glitches. Even though the ESC has a good internal BEC those spek receivers get mad at the current flow.....I think.
My esc is up back @ the fuel cell location also. I have no experience with it sitting on top of the RX box. Sorry.
Fordfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:11 AM   #184
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post

Anyone else using spektrum and Castle Creations Mamba Monster?

I'm worried that something is going to make it go rogue and take out one of my kids while at full speed - then I would sell every RC I own and become a monk.
I've had some strange experiences with my tx/rx on my cars. I'm using FS-gt3b tx (two of them, for me and my son) on all my cars. But on my Nitro Crusher (with some cheap Hobbyking esc/motor) I'm having most awkward behavior, after 10-15 meters I'm loosing control both on throttle and steering. When the motor/esc was new, I didn't had any problem. I tried to use another tx/rx (LRP I believe) with my esc/motor and everything went just fine. Both tx/rx's (with numerous rx s) are having the same problem only in combination with HK esc/motor, on all my nitro cars they are performing flawless. To be even more awkward, I installed the same system on my YXL and for the first few runs it was perfect, but now I'm having the same problem. But with MMX all my FlySky's are working just fine.
What I'm trying to say is electronics might have a mind of their own. So you might have this problem because of your rx or just because! I know it is not the most "technical" explanation, but it is what it is. It doesn't mean you have to became a monk Maybe you can try another brand, just borrow something else from one of your friends and see how it's doing.
Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:39 AM   #185
Rock Crawler

Now that I am more awake and the Tylenol is killing the AM afterbeer cloud .....some Spek receivers hate a kinked or too short of an antenna for some weird reason. Some have range issues...some don't. They are just little electric gizmos at the end of the day. Tzicul nailed it. Sometimes "it is what it is."
Fordfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:51 AM   #186
RCC Addict

I agree - too many experiences with RCs to discredit that philosophy for sure. But, "it is what it is" will not cut it when I have 2 little ones outside with me. I'm not going to shelf this thing and only drive it while they are inside, we RC together...it is what we do. Sooooo, with that in mind, I guess I'lll just have to get a different receiver and try that. Because, after all, it is what it is - LOL!!!!

Glad to know I'm not the only one dealing with Spektrum's BS! Thanks, Ford/TZI!
Old 03-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #187
RCC Addict

I seemed to fix the glitching....Don't drive it. It has been on the shelf for a few weeks now and not ONE SINGLE glitch! I have to admit, this is a rather boring resolution to the issue but it is a 100% solution.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:20 AM   #188
Quarry Creeper

I was having similar issues with my DX4S. Ironically, I've run that same set up in my 1/5 scales for years with no issues. For some reason, the YXL must be giving some sort of interference but, I recently switched over to my Futaba 4PLS and haven't had any more issues.
Terrible1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:41 PM   #189
RCC Addict

If I didn't have a cut down BEC on the truck, I would simply relocate the receiver...maybe the BEC inside the receiver box is creating all the havoc...hhhmmmm. Glad you brought that up! Thanks!
Old 03-27-2016, 09:08 PM   #190
RCC Addict

Quote:
If I didn't have a cut down BEC on the truck, I would simply relocate the receiver...maybe the BEC inside the receiver box is creating all the havoc...hhhmmmm. Glad you brought that up! Thanks!
That BEC is defiantly create interface interference !! The resident frequencies are driving your RX crazy... plus I was wondering if some of the BEC issues were because the BEC's are intended to operate "under 5 mph air current... That's why I relocated mine in the "rear receiver box" my XLX... Also I installed a C.C fan that blows out to move the air for the BEC as well as fight water back ..

Other question .. Is your BEC pushing full power to the Rx ? or do you have a H.H bypass ? The way C.C installation diagram shows that the BEC connects from the battery to the RX.. It doesn't seem like a good idea pushing 7.4 through a Rx.. I plan on running the BEC directly to the servo and the E.S.C to the Rx and the signal wire from the Rx to the servo(S) "XLX"

Servo gets 7.4 and
Rx gets 4.8.....

BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #191
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
No worries, like BHB said I'm thinking it probably is your BEC too. Although...up until now, I would've never thought it would/could also be related to Spektrum receivers. I've heard from a lot of guys running 1/5 Baja's that in many cases there were too many instances that their receivers were catching interference and glitching and when switching to Futaba, had no issues. Like I said previously, I had never had any issues until I installed a Spektrum in my YXL. Another Difference I noticed was a loss in range that I'm used to getting with my Baja's. I've since almost exclusively switched all of my "Go Fast" rigs to my Futaba. I, like you, run all scales with my kids and the last thing I need is to lose control of any of them due to "faulty" signal loss.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:33 PM   #192
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post

Other question .. Is your BEC pushing full power to the Rx ? or do you have a H.H bypass ? The way C.C installation diagram shows that the BEC connects from the battery to the RX.. It doesn't seem like a good idea pushing 7.4 through a Rx.. I plan on running the BEC directly to the servo and the E.S.C to the Rx and the signal wire from the Rx to the servo(S) "XLX"

Servo gets 7.4 and
Rx gets 4.8.....

Actually, I was just thinking about this and depending on what RX you're running, 7.4v should be fine. In 1/5 gas, we run 7.4v directly into the RX. Obviously you just have to make sure the RX can handle it. As far as Spektrum, I've only ran the SR410 this way.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:41 PM   #193
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible1 View Post
Actually, I was just thinking about this and depending on what RX you're running, 7.4v should be fine. In 1/5 gas, we run 7.4v directly into the RX. Obviously you just have to make sure the RX can handle it. As far as Spektrum, I've only ran the SR410 this way.
You're right, I am running the Spektrum SRS4210 receiver, its good for 9.6V and the Hitec HS-7954SH steering servo, good for 7.4V. I set my castle BEC up for 7.4V and run in right into a spare channel of the receiver, no problems yet. In short, the device wih the lowest rated input voltage will dictate the maximum voltage you can set your BEC up for assuming you run it diretly into the receiver.

Last edited by sparwood; 03-27-2016 at 10:27 PM.
sparwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:09 PM   #194
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparwood View Post
You're right, I am running the Spektrum SRS4210 receiver, its good for 9.6V and the Hitec HS-7954SH steering servo, good for 7.4V. I set my castle BEC up for 7.4V and run in right into a spare channel of the receiver, no problems yet. In short, the device wih the lowest rated input voltage will dictate the maximum volthage you can set your BEC up for assuming you run it diretly into the receive.
Its ALWAYS handy to have a electrical engineer part of the community to weigh in Thanks !! Ive only been in R.c's for 4 months lol.... The XL is my first rc guys.. I try to apply my 1 to 1 experiences to the XL ...So far so good... So I was wondering about unwanted high frequency electrical noise that can cause equipment to malfunction. EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) and RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) are two types of electrical noise. Could both be evident ????
Old 03-27-2016, 10:33 PM   #195
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
Its ALWAYS handy to have a electrical engineer part of the community to weigh in Thanks !! Ive only been in R.c's for 4 months lol.... The XL is my first rc guys.. I try to apply my 1 to 1 experiences to the XL ...So far so good... So I was wondering about unwanted high frequency electrical noise that can cause equipment to malfunction. EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) and RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) are two types of electrical noise. Could both be evident ????
I try, a good rule of thumb is to locate the receiver and antenna as far away from the ESC and the motor as you can. In reality I think that modern 2.4gHz frequency hopping radio gear would mitigate glitching caused by this.

One thing to keep in mind, I don't know if it applies to cars but it certainly applies to helis. There are sometimes issues with the receiver "browning out", this happens when the servos are under load and this draws the bus voltage of your power system below the minimum required for the receiver. This happens in hellis because you have 3 servos and when you do something stupid you can load them all up at the same time causing problems. I'm not sure if a single steering servo would have the same effect, easy way to check is to connect a voltmeter to one of the spare channels of the receiver and then grab the front wheels and try to turn, watch the voltage and see how bad the dip is.
sparwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:07 PM   #196
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparwood View Post
I try, a good rule of thumb is to locate the receiver and antenna as far away from the ESC and the motor as you can. In reality I think that modern 2.4gHz frequency hopping radio gear would mitigate glitching caused by this.

One thing to keep in mind, I don't know if it applies to cars but it certainly applies to helis. There are sometimes issues with the receiver "browning out", this happens when the servos are under load and this draws the bus voltage of your power system below the minimum required for the receiver. This happens in hellis because you have 3 servos and when you do something stupid you can load them all up at the same time causing problems. I'm not sure if a single steering servo would have the same effect, easy way to check is to connect a voltmeter to one of the spare channels of the receiver and then grab the front wheels and try to turn, watch the voltage and see how bad the dip is.
Ya I had a issue with this after I set up the 2 speed servo.. I installed a glitch buster and that seemed to help but I think a majority of my problems are that I'd don't have a hitec programmer yet$ so I can adjust the end points... which seems to be crucial for reliable shifting.. the amount of through end to end with the pre programed setup is to hard to regulate...
I'm pretty handy with a multi so I'll check it out THANKS!!
I'd like to see you setup a Electrical thread and get it stickyy
Old 03-28-2016, 05:56 AM   #197
RCC Addict

I direct wire my BEC to the servo. I only go through the receiver for my signal wire. But, as mentioned, the BEC is sitting in the same box and smashed directly on too of my receiver. I'll have to move it and try again.

If thus fixes the issue, maybe I'll take it off the for sale site and start having more fun with it again!
Old 11-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #198
RCC Addict

Wonder where my old Yeti is now...I sure hope it is still running strong!!!
Old 11-29-2017, 01:23 PM   #199
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Wonder where my old Yeti is now...I sure hope it is still running strong!!!
After seeing yours in person I ended up doing a thing....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
arcanecrawler89 is offline   Reply With Quote

This is a Monster....Yeti XL is a fitting name!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Yeti XL Monster Buggy Electronic Upgrades RcMan2727 Electronics 4 02-10-2015 06:56 AM
Yeti Monster! twissted Videos! 3 12-17-2014 02:36 PM