Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: This is a Monster....Yeti XL is a fitting name!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2015, 07:29 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: This is a Monster....Yeti XL is a fitting name!!!

Good deal! Thanks for taking the time to test all that. Hopefully I get some time to make some adjustments soon !
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2015, 07:49 PM   #42

Now I just need an aftermarket panel of some kind to fill in the space where the tire goes. It looks funny being able to just see the ground though the back of the truck... Maybe a lexan panel with a fake tire molded into it, or something that looks like a truck bed.
jhautz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:58 AM   #43
RCC Addict

Axial AX31207 is the part you're looking for. Should be the rear number panels and the "radiator panel" that covers the spare tire area. Not available outside of the RTR body panels on Ebay. Early April I think.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:35 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Alright, managed to fix the front cage mount issue. I took the mount off the shock tower and beveled the mount surface so that it leans forward a little.

Then I went to the local hobby store and checked out a pair of Axial 40 series 3.8" 17mm beadlock wheels......um, yea....too big!

Old 03-17-2015, 08:26 AM   #45
Pebble Pounder

come on red no running video or even a curtisy drive by the house feel the love man! lol
arcanecrawler89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:29 AM   #46

Axial used to make some 40 Series 'Narrow' Beadlock wheels AXI8072. They are just really hard to find now.
Memnoch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #47
RCC Addict

Arcane, stop by the house. I'll let you get behind the wheel of it!

I suspect in the coming months we will see plenty of upgrades for this thing though Axial...I'm almost certain
Old 03-17-2015, 06:24 PM   #48
Pebble Pounder

just may do that might even bribe ya to help me install a bec in that wrexo so it can hold up with a better servo!
arcanecrawler89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:42 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
Shake down run complete. My steering link from the servo to the steering rack is hitting the steering cover plate when I turn right, the steering isn't what I was hoping for, radius wise, the front right wheel jumps off the ground every time I touch the throttle, super easy to traction roll on anything but dirt, front suspension is too soft and it doesn't have as much top speed on 4s as I would have liked to see.

The speed may be a product of my Tekin RX8/2000kv system being detuned so I'll look into that later. The suspension DEFINATELY needs tuning; the soft upper coils are completely compressed just sitting on the bench and I think over all the springs and oils are simply too soft. Again, I'll have to look into that as well...maybe simple shock placement will help but I suspect oils and springs will need swapped.
I thought the same about the speed and turning of this pig.
First off, I found that my pinion was rubbing up against the spur cover. I have a GPM aluminum spur cover so it may have been from that. To get it not to rub I had to make certain the pinion was completely flush with the outside of the spur gear. After I made that adjustment it woke up a bit in speed.

Today I put in a 17tooth pinion and all I can say is WOW. Mine is getting pretty good speeds now on 4s. Waayy under geared stock. Still has huge amounts of low end tourqe. btw I am running a castle 1515 2200kv with a Hobbywing 150a ESC. I was thinking of going 6s until I added this pinion but now it has what I want.. I am sure you Tekin setup would do great with a larger pinion.

As far as steering goes.. I don't see a way to improve the radius. The way the servo sits in there with the linkage down low it reall handicaps any adjustability. I do recommend Dhawk aluminum steering bellcrank, posts, and drag link to eliminate plastic flex.

as far as the front suspension being too soft. I ordered new medium springs from HPI. They are for the 5b which is a 20lb rc and they are 23mm dia with a little extra length. They are two stage as well.
HPI 86762 Rear Shock Spring Set | eBay

Hope this helps brother..

Last edited by BobTeagle; 03-17-2015 at 06:46 PM.
BobTeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:09 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Shake down run complete. My steering link from the servo to the steering rack is hitting the steering cover plate when I turn right, the steering isn't what I was hoping for, radius wise, the front right wheel jumps off the ground every time I touch the throttle, super easy to traction roll on anything but dirt, front suspension is too soft and it doesn't have as much top speed on 4s as I would have liked to see.

The speed may be a product of my Tekin RX8/2000kv system being detuned so I'll look into that later. The suspension DEFINATELY needs tuning; the soft upper coils are completely compressed just sitting on the bench and I think over all the springs and oils are simply too soft. Again, I'll have to look into that as well...maybe simple shock placement will help but I suspect oils and springs will need swapped.

Ok, I received the medium shock spring set for HPI Baja 5b today and here is what I found. The long spring is long enough and stiff enough to be used alone. This definatly added ride height and rebound but was a little stiffer than I wanted.
What I ended up using was the medium short spring from the HPI Baja 5b set and the Axial Yeti XL kit long front spring. With this dual rate combo I was able to get the ride height and rebound just the way I want it. I would post pics if I knew how on this board.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:12 PM   #52
RCC Addict

get a photobucket account. I use the photobucket app on my phone so I can take pictures right from my phone and have them uploaded to photobucket. Then log into photobucket and select the picture you want to post on the forums. you will have 4 "share link" options to select. I select the bottom one labeled "IMG". Copy the link and paste it to your post on RCC when you're writing it and it will show up when you click "sumbit" or "post quick reply". Simple!

Now on to the springs. I assume you're using the black springs as "medium"? Were you able to try any other springs from the HPI?
Old 03-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
get a photobucket account. I use the photobucket app on my phone so I can take pictures right from my phone and have them uploaded to photobucket. Then log into photobucket and select the picture you want to post on the forums. you will have 4 "share link" options to select. I select the bottom one labeled "IMG". Copy the link and paste it to your post on RCC when you're writing it and it will show up when you click "sumbit" or "post quick reply". Simple!

Now on to the springs. I assume you're using the black springs as "medium"? Were you able to try any other springs from the HPI?
Thanks for the tips on posting pics! I will experiment in a bit and see how it goes.

The only HPI springs I ordered were the black medium ones. I left a link in my previous post. As you said previously, the stock short springs in the kit are useless as they are fully compressed from the weight of the vehicle. The short springs in the bag with the HPI medium set work perfectly. I just had a bash session and they did great!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #54
Pebble Pounder

I'm going to agree with the previous few posts about the suspension on the kit. The helper springs are fully collapsed, making them useless on the small bumps they are supposed to soak up. I don't like that the chassis can slap the ground so easily. I have also cranked the adjusting collars to max to get a little more ride height, and it's still not that great (to me). I have gone ahead and ordered those HPI springs too (23x155x2.4mm Black). If you have a friend who has a regular Yeti XL RTR, this spring set could be more useful to you. The long spring is about the right length for a non-helper spring setup, aka RTR. So you can scoop up the small springs and your buddy can possibly use the others- if they aren't too hard for their tastes. I'll be doing this "mod" in a week or more, thanks for the info guys!
Damnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #55
RCC Addict

I got the DHawk steering link in saturday! YAY! Came with some hardware and plastic bushings. I'm not sure I like the idea of the plastic bushings - after all, when they wear out, where will I get more?!?!

Install was straight forward and smooth. The plastic bushings went in nicely and there is NO slop....yet! LOL I did have to separate the entire front end from the chassis to replace it though....sigh.

Once installed, it was rubbing on the rear of the bulkhead so I needed to shave off a little from the link but not enough to even worry about. Really wakes the steering up. Now, i'm actually getting into my servo saver a TINY bit when I turn while the car is standing still....but, I'm using a 480 oz servo, so I expected that. Suppose I could add a shim in the spring at some point - we shall see.

So, now that I have it installed, I sure hope someone creates one that is laid back more. This design hits the front bulkhead when turned both ways. It is limiting steering and I'm not a fan of that at all!!!

Last edited by redsawacs; 03-24-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I got the DHawk steering link in saturday! YAY! Came with some hardware and plastic bushings. I'm not sure I like the idea of the plastic bushings - after all, when they wear out, where will I get more?!?!

Install was straight forward and smooth. The plastic bushings went in nicely and there is NO slop....yet! LOL I did have to separate the entire front end from the chassis to replace it though....sigh.

Once installed, it was rubbing on the rear of the bulkhead so I needed to shave off a little from the link but not enough to even worry about. Really wakes the steering up. Now, i'm actually getting into my servo saver a TINY bit when I turn while the car is standing still....but, I'm using a 480 oz servo, so I expected that. Suppose I could add a shim in the spring at some point - we shall see.

So, now that I have it installed, I sure hope someone creates one that is laid back more. This design hits the front bulkhead when turned both ways. It is limiting steering and I'm not a fan of that at all!!!

I installed this piece along with Dhawk bellcrank and posts when building my kit the first time. I believe the plastic bushing are just intended to eliminate the slop. I omitted from installing the bushings at first but then added them later. It was not bad even w/out the bushings.

As far as rubbing the rear of bulkhead.. I did not have this issue at all? It is amazing to me how many folks are having different experiences with this rig..

As far as hitting the bulkhead at full lock.. I too did not like this, but after assembling everything I noticed that the servo horn and tie rod hits the side of my servo slightly before the drag link hits the bulkhead. I set up my end point adjustment on my radio so I wouldn't bang up my servo. I don't see a fix for this since the tie rod sits down low and rides beside the servo instead of above it like my other rigs. It would take more than a new drag link design to allow more steering travel.

Last edited by BobTeagle; 03-24-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #57
RCC Addict

I also have the Dhawk bellcrank and installed on initial assembly. Before I put the front top plate on mine it also hit the bulkhead. After I got the whole thing put together it straightened everything out and it stopped hitting.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:44 PM   #58
RCC Addict

Mine hit the bulkhead after assembly, so did the stock one.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTeagle View Post
Ok, I received the medium shock spring set for HPI Baja 5b today and here is what I found. The long spring is long enough and stiff enough to be used alone. This definatly added ride height and rebound but was a little stiffer than I wanted.
What I ended up using was the medium short spring from the HPI Baja 5b set and the Axial Yeti XL kit long front spring. With this dual rate combo I was able to get the ride height and rebound just the way I want it. I would post pics if I knew how on this board.

Last edited by BobTeagle; 03-24-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:26 PM   #60
RCC Addict

Beside the picture you want to share, you should see 4 options. The bottom one says "IMG". Copy that link and past it to your response on your chosen website.

This is a Monster....Yeti XL is a fitting name!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Yeti XL Monster Buggy Electronic Upgrades RcMan2727 Electronics 4 02-10-2015 06:56 AM
Yeti Monster! twissted Videos! 3 12-17-2014 02:36 PM