Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: yeti wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #1

Default yeti wheels

Any suggestions on wheels for this beast.....may have gotten carried away and jumped her too high wheel tore apart at the nut
bonosxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: yeti wheels

I was told that the wheels for the Thunder Tiger MT4 work. I have not tried it for myself yet though.
BobTeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Same thing happened to me. All the weight of the car and a whole lot of snow packed in the chassis landed on one wheel and it just ripped the wheel apart. I ordered some mud slingers I will be mounting on Axial 40 series wheels. I didnt get them yet but hopefully since the tires and wheels are wider it will distribute the weight out more.
Duramarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I just orderd four thunder tiger mt4 G3 wheels to try. These are the same wheels that are on the Team Associated Rival which I own also. My Rival weighs almost as much as the XL and I have never broke or stripped a wheel. I put the rival wheels/tires onto the XL and the offset looks good. When I get the mt4 wheels I will bake the tire off the XL kit spare rim which has a stripped out hex. I'll let you guys know if the mt4 wheel works with the Falken tires.

You can get different color bead rings for the mt4 wheels so it might look cool. The bead rings are non functional btw.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonosxr View Post
Any suggestions on wheels for this beast.....may have gotten carried away and jumped her too high wheel tore apart at the nut
Kit 17mm wheels?
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
Kit 17mm wheels?
I believe the kit and rtr wheels are identicle (chrome aside). The rtr has a smaller axle but uses 17mm hubs. The wheel nut on the rtr has an insert that fills in the gap around the axel. This is a design that HPI uses on the Savage as well.

I managed to strip out one of my kit wheels. The nut was tight and I was running 4s. The wheel was on the front and I mistakingly thought the clicking noise was my front diff. I tore the whole thing down, called Axial support thinking it was the front diff because I did see some uneven wear. I put it all back together and did not hear the clicking so I thought it had to do with the front bulkhead not being tight. as it turns out it was the wheel the whole time and when I put it back together I unknowingly put the stripped wheel in the spare position. I saw the stripped wheel later during a tear down and cleaning. I put it back on the front in effort to duplicate the sound and sure enough "clicking". Even with a tight nut...

In the end I would rather have issues with a wheel then with a diff..

Last edited by BobTeagle; 03-24-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:09 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I have a brand new set of spare MT4 wheels and Krawlers at home. I meant to test fitment on the weekend and forgot.

I can do this for you guys if you want to avoid extra work for nothing!!!
Damnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:56 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnir View Post
I have a brand new set of spare MT4 wheels and Krawlers at home. I meant to test fitment on the weekend and forgot.

I can do this for you guys if you want to avoid extra work for nothing!!!
That would be great! I'd rather not bake off the falkens until I have replacement wheels that I know work.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:18 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I'll check it out tonight. The tires are the same bead on the Krawlers and the Falkens by the way.. I had bought the Krawlers after the Kit in case I wanted to switch things up.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

The proline desperados fit but only work with traxxas style bead tires or proline tires. I hit a mailbox last night at about 40mph while doing some testing and the axle shaft broke the wheel is fine.
keebler1510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:26 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

The Pro-Line "Tech 5" wheels are the right bead, but they are ZERO offset only. Wheel is really close to the body and it looks ridiculous. If someone was to narrow the wheel it'd be fine, but that's too much work for me!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:54 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

The mt4 wheels are cheap and durable. If they work it will be the solution. There are different color beads or black Rit dye can be used to black out the wheel like stock. I'm anxious to see if they work with the crawlers.. Thanks Damnir!
Old 03-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Broke a wheel today. Kinda surprised that landing crooked on soft melting snow would snap the center out. Someone needs to make a stronger option soon, hopefully a beadlock.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:45 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

OK, here are the Thunder Tiger MT4 wheels and the Pro-Line Tech 5, both of which are the proper mounting bead. The MT4 wheel has 1/2 offset, and is also about 1/2 more narrow than the Tech 5. The Tech 5 would require hub extenders to use on the truck, otherwise it'll really narrow it's stance, rub the body and most likely rollover more easily. Here are some pics:

Tech 5 on left, MT4 on the right.

MT4 sidewall:

Tech 5 sidewall:

Old 03-26-2015, 07:25 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Maybe compared to the stock wheels on the XL. Those pictures aren't doing much to help with the fit of them.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:27 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

How's the plastic on the MT4 wheels? I grabbed some Proline f-11 wheels and RC4WD mud slingers (very heavy) and they fit really well. I'm waiting on the kit tires to come out then I'll be selling the slingers and looking at another set of wheels. These look perfect if the plastic isn't cheap like the stock Axial wheels.
Fordfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfreak95 View Post
How's the plastic on the MT4 wheels? I grabbed some Proline f-11 wheels and RC4WD mud slingers (very heavy) and they fit really well. I'm waiting on the kit tires to come out then I'll be selling the slingers and looking at another set of wheels. These look perfect if the plastic isn't cheap like the stock Axial wheels.
The wheels are thin, but they are strong. I only broke one in the winter doing 35mph and sliding my truck into a slab of ice. Popped the hub right through the center of the wheel. Probably a fluke... They are very light for their size too.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:21 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Are the MT4s beadlocks or glue-ons? I can't tell for sure from the pic
crockins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockins View Post
Are the MT4s beadlocks or glue-ons? I can't tell for sure from the pic
They are fake locks, they attach by putting 4 screws through the backside. They offer blue, red, orange, yellow and green. Since they have changed distributors, they are becoming hard to find currently. Towerhobbies used to carry everything, still waiting for the new vendors to start surfacing here in North America.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:41 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

The following are available on ebay.

The Thunder Tiger MT4G3 wheel (17mm hex) part number is PD8321.
Thunder Tiger ORANGE wheel ring part # PD8323
Thunder Tiger RED wheel ring part # PD8923
Thunder Tiger GREEN wheel ring part # PD8322
Thunder Tiger YELLOW wheel ring part # PD8322-Y

The Team Associated rival uses the same wheel (17mm hex) part # 25767. This set comes with blue wheel rings.

Note of warning: The EMTA wheel looks the same as the MT4 and Rival but has a 23mm size hex and will not work.

Thank you Damnir for showing us they work! I have a set on the way with orange rings. I will post pics with them mounted once received.

Last edited by BobTeagle; 03-27-2015 at 12:21 AM.

Tags
ballstoohard, i need rims, shegone!

yeti wheels - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheels for Yeti nascar820 Tires and Wheels 14 11-02-2014 09:13 AM