Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Significant play in the front shock mounts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #1

Default Significant play in the front shock mounts

I finished building the Axial Yeti XL kit and I'm wondering if I missed something regarding the shock assembly.

1.) The diagram shows the plastic cap that goes between the steel pivot ball and the top of the shock going on the inside of the shock cap so it's backed up to the shock mount. If I do this, the steel pivot ball just pops out...the plastic cap needs to be installed 180 degrees from the instruction manuals recommended method.

2.) The rear shocks (top portion) seem very tight against the shock mount. I had to install a washer on the inside of each shock so the lower portion could pivot out enough to connect without undo tension on the top portion.

3.) The front shocks seem to have a lot of play between the shock and the shock mount. The plastic pivot ball, plastic pivot ball housing and shock cap all seem to move back and forth about 1/16" which seems odd as the rear shocks have zero play.
fidelity101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Significant play in the front shock mounts

You are correct to install the ball and cup 180° from the picture. One thing you can do with the Axial pivot balls (i learned this on my Exo Terra Buggy) is tighten the screw down and squish the pivot ball a little until it tightens up the "play".

On the rear, I don't remember having a spacing issue there....sorry, I can't be of any help there.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:35 PM   #3

Thank you for posting the above picture on a different thread...it shows that I did not install my rear shocks properly after all as my top shock mount is outside of the body mounts. I'll have to go back and try to figure out how he managed to install them inside the body mount frame.
fidelity101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I found a large o-ring , the size of the large hole of the top shock cap, cut thru the o-ring then I pressed it into the hole then cut the o-ring excess on both sides. Then I drilled a hole in the center of the o-ring then reinstalled it on the car eliminating both the plastic ball and the cup. Its now set up like an actual auto shock .... seems to be working fine and if it should fail I can fixitat homewith out having to wait for parts to arrive.
Dairy guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Significant play in the front shock mounts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strengthening Rear Shock Mounts After Moving Battery Up Front Brickman Axial Wraith 9 02-01-2015 05:56 PM
Speedweigand Customs Wraith front shock mounts Speedweigand Scale parts 1 09-07-2012 04:28 PM
New GH Front Shock Mounts GravelDuster Axial Wraith 3 07-06-2012 11:41 AM
Front Shock Mounts Land Crab Axial Wraith 7 01-27-2012 12:09 PM