Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Ci foams? Tire venting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Ci foams? Tire venting?

I am wondering what peoples thoughts are on ci foams on the yxl. I am very impressed with them on the standard yeti and just cant find much info on this. Since i will be gluing the tires i would like to know if they are worth it. Also is anyone venting the tires with stock foams?
Priv Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Ci foams? Tire venting?

Anything he makes is worth the money, and will be better than stock.

Granted, you are using for its intended purpose. He is an amazing vendor, and everything he does is cutting edge.

I would not hesitate to purchase anything from Crawler Inovations
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:09 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Nearing completion on my own build, and about ready to glue up the tires. I have the CI foams, and they are quite a bit firmer than the stock YXL kit foams. The CI foams appear to be well made, but I do wonder if they will have a negative impact on crawling, and a positive impact on general off and on-road handling. Seems like the tires would conform to rock shapes better with stock foams, but the CI foams would reduce the tendency to roll and wander through higher speed corners. I believe the CI foams are also closed cell, so they won't soak up water -- could be important depending on how you intend to use the YXL. Cool thing about this rig is you can do so many different kinds of things with it. Anybody with first hand experience with both stock and CI foams on various terrain?
avted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I've got 2 stage CI Memory Foams and Closed Cell Foams and they are completely different animals for completely different uses. Venting memory foams can be done on the sidewall, tread area or on the wheel itself. Closed cell foams must have the tread part of the tire vented in at least 2 locations (180 from each other). Memory foams soak up even the tiniest bit of water and never dry out completely unless you run them in a clothes drier air no heat (they don't like heat). They will stink and lose their bounce if not cleaned and dried on a regular basis. Closed cell foams will not soak up water and the vents will expel water. I suggest getting a set of each so you can crawl or race along as you desire.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I run the closed cell foam in my yeti with the tread vented and the sidewall is so much firmer. So i think i will get the closed cell just for better handling. I plan to mainly drive faster and very little crawling. Still interested in hearing from somebody using them also. Thanks
Priv Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:21 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

There website say there for the BFG's which is a smaller tire compared to the Kit Falkens. Do they fill the Falken tire correctly.
MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:44 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

They appear to fit mine (Falkens) well.
avted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

For crawling, at any scale, you want the tire to do the work. New 1:1 scale tires rarely deflate down to no psi anymore. The new tires compounds are more "sticky" and the tread patters do the work. Same with the yeti, let the tread pattern do the work. When a tire conforms, or collapses, the tread pattern is altered. Space between the lugs disappears. That's not what you want.

Just my opinion, which is why the CI inserts will be glued on my new rig tonight.
Bmelch is offline   Reply With Quote

Ci foams? Tire venting? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire or Wheel Venting ???? Raceaholic General Scale Talk 8 04-07-2013 06:56 PM
Rim and Tire Venting Methods? CreepyCrawl Tires and Wheels 44 03-30-2010 09:49 PM
Venting wheel/tire Stewdogg Newbie General 6 12-16-2009 12:23 AM
Tire / Wheel Venting TC09mini Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 8 09-29-2009 01:03 PM
Tire Venting vs. Wheel Venting kawika Tires and Wheels 2 07-08-2007 09:29 PM