Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: having second thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 10:08 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default having second thoughts

Where does it end? When I first saw the YXL I had to have it. Spent over 2 months here lurking and learning. Pulled the trigger on the kit as that seemed the way to go. Now I have a laundry list of parts to avoid the problems others have had not to mention the problems I have come across trying to build my own kit. Now it seems like every time I come here someone runs one set of batteries and breaks something. I know things break its part of the hobby and I am no noob to the hobby I have 6 trucks from other manufacturers and yes they need upgrades and break stuff but this is just getting nuts. Maybe its the new design blues I don't know. It just seems like every time I turn around There is something I need to buy to avoid failure. Sorry for the rant just getting a little overwhelmed.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2015, 10:19 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: having second thoughts

I'm still running a bone stock XL and haven't broken or replaced a thing. 4S and 6S.

Why don't you do the same and have some fun with it before putting a bunch of money into upgrades you might not need?
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:50 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
I'm still running a bone stock XL and haven't broken or replaced a thing. 4S and 6S.

Why don't you do the same and have some fun with it before putting a bunch of money into upgrades you might not need?

Thats my plan. On my kit, I replaced the steering and added a good servo. Thats my starting point. Ohh and I bought some DHawk Pivot Balls as I hate the plastic ones.
MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:51 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

You are probably right. Maybe I need to stop my research/searching and just finish it. Sometimes too much info can be a bad thing. With my OCD I try to get all the info I can and cram it all in and it gets crazy sometimes.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:41 AM   #5

I'm in the same boat. I've been in this hobby for a better part of 10 years and never have I owned an rc that breaks this much. I have yet to get a full battery run out of this thing without something breaking. Now before everyone starts with their learn how to drive, learn how to do this better, i've raced bashed built crawled flown so many things that i had no breakage on its a little disheartening. I feel like this machine is pay to play. I have over 20 hours of wrench time on this rig with at the most 15 mins of drive time.

With all that said, the short time i've driven this thing it is so much fun I forget i want to sell it. Then something breaks... again....
Gradymanzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:53 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post

same here. 18 sets of packs through it (half 4S, half 6S) and everything just works. Only changes are to 30wt oil in the rear shocks and 500k silicon in the Rear diff.

This thing is the most fun I have had in RC in a long time.

Last edited by Angus_Beef; 04-13-2015 at 08:59 AM. Reason: specified *rear* diff
Angus_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:03 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Don't give up brother. This is an awesome rc! A lot has to do with driving style with breakages. Considering the average 1/8 buggy kit cost more than this kit its a buy for its size! None of us had all the upgrades from the start. Get it built, have fun, then decide what's needed.
BobTeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:52 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

With my kit, I have had to constantly fix and tweak stuff I didn't do right from the beginning. I also had to go back through and use red loctite on the trans, motor, and all motor mount screws as well.

So far after a dozen battery packs trough it, I have had a BEC go out and fry a servo, and yesterday I snapped a rear drive shaft.

Other than that this has been and will be a great truck. There is nothing outside of a few minor upgrades needed to make it fantastic.

I assure you though, just like any other RC I have ever owned, if you play and bash with it, it will break.

If that is a problem for you, I would not suggest the Yeti XL as an entry level RC
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:05 PM   #9
Scale Detail Engineering

Generally, you only hear about the bad stuff...
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:34 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

My opinion is a lot of folks are classifying this in the Monster truck class. If that is what you want there are better choices for 6s bashing. But I dare you to go over to MT4G3 or HPI Savage forums. the folks that go 6s break stuff... ALOT!

That being said I believe this RC is better enjoyed on 4s as a rock racer not a monster truck. If you gear it right on 4s it is fast enough. Mine goes 40+mph with a 17t pinion and I have never wanted more speed. I like realism and speed should never surpass handling in my book. After tuning the suspension and slipper clutch my XL does not traction roll, torque twist, or wheelie when I drive it. That is how I like it. I have other RC's that do wheelies and back flips and it gets old fast. I drive mine in the dirt and grass, climbing over timbers and mild jumping (2-3ft high). driving it this way I have not broken anything. I did have the issue with the front diff but I chalk that up to my fault.

I do have a few upgrades most of which were probably not needed:
MT4G3 wheels
Fast Eddy Bearings
aluminum steering rack
Aluminum shock tower
aluminum rear link mounts
aluminum motor mount
aluminum servo horn
aluminum shock caps
HPI soft Baja 5b helper spring up front

The wheels, bearings, servo horn, and steering rack are really all that is needed. I just got bored waiting fo the kit to be released and bought these items while waiting
BobTeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:02 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

So far, all good reasons and info to keep it an just run it.

Steve,
I am like you. I read, research and buy this upgrade or that upgrade based on what people have encountered. That was on every RC i have had in the last 2 years. I did not do it on the YXL. It was mentally tough with my OCD but i decided to build it with the best components i could afford, build it so i knew every inch of it and let her rip. There hasn't been 1 RC ground or air that i haven't upgraded something. No RC is perfect from the get go. Some will say oh my Revo is perfect, my HPI Savage is perfect, My MT4 G3 is perfect, my whatever is perfect. I can do a google search and of those and many more and call Horse Shirt. They are not. No RC is indestructible, which for some reason after the $500 mark everyone expects it to be. That's just a poor way of thinking.

I only had 1 run in my YXL before my ESC blew up. Different story but nothing to do with the YXL. The photos below are from my maiden and i think the worst of them for punishment. Due to all the "I broke this and i broke that" reading i did before and after my build made me cringe when these happened. First thought was "oh there goes the bulkhead" and waiting for the clicking sound. Nope didn't hear it. I don't drive it like i stole it so that may be the reason. If something breaks then it breaks. Just 1 run proved to me that it is a keeper. I saved enough $$ on piecing parts together that if i had to spend more $$ to make it a little more bullet proof as the aftermarket support comes then no big deal. Build it, run it and enjoy it. As Johnny stated "Generally, you only hear about the bad stuff..." I bet there are far more runs then breaks.
Attached Images

cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I think you're over thinking things...I ran my XL stock for a week. After that, it was a new servo and 500k oil front/rear diffs. That's all I needed and the rig is still a ton of fun to drive on 4S. I've broken a wheel and shock rod but aside from that, you're trying to fix what isn't broken it seems.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Well, apparently my post from this morning did not post....

Just build the kit and have fun! Don't let other dictate your fun! Build it and upgrade the steering rack. After that, drive it. If something breaks, decide if it is a fluke or design flaw. Upgrade or replace with stock as needed.

This vehicle will NEVER be bullet proof - once you come to grips with that, you'll finally be able to enjoy it!!!!!!!!

Do I have enough exclamation points in this post?
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:45 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Well I will say this, 5 mins after the build, blown front diff. Grass, no dirt. Built properly. Now I have a very nice paper weight in my garage waiting on parts. Problem is now I will be nervous every time I simply run it. I have no idea what caused the diff to blow but I know it was not being bashed nor was it assembled improperly and I was running on 4s, all I was ever planning for this. Sure you only hear about the bad but this is ridiculous to say the least. The amount of money spent, this should not have happened and I am far from the only one that has had front diff issues.
Chip73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:09 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip73 View Post
Well I will say this, 5 mins after the build, blown front diff. Grass, no dirt. Built properly. Now I have a very nice paper weight in my garage waiting on parts. Problem is now I will be nervous every time I simply run it. I have no idea what caused the diff to blow but I know it was not being bashed nor was it assembled improperly and I was running on 4s, all I was ever planning for this. Sure you only hear about the bad but this is ridiculous to say the least. The amount of money spent, this should not have happened and I am far from the only one that has had front diff issues.
I am running 259 grain lithium grease in place of diff fluid front and rear.

@ full speed smashing into something or having them set too high and then hitting the brakes could probably thrash these little diff gears. I had to drop my drag brake and brake settings way down.

If you gave it full throttle and the gears died, either a bearing failed, or there was too much play in the diff.

Gears die when they loose their axis.

Last edited by BEELZEBOB; 04-13-2015 at 06:15 PM.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
I am running 259 grain lithium grease in place of diff fluid front and rear.

@ full speed smashing into something or having them set too high and then hitting the brakes could probably thrash these little diff gears. I had to drop my drag brake and brake settings way down.

If you gave it full throttle and the gears died, either a bearing failed, or there was too much play in the diff.

Gears die when they loose their axis.
Looking at it now, it looks like either the bulkhead is warped or flexed under load. We shall see. I emailed Axial still waiting for a response but I went and ordered everything I need to rebuild plus some shims to see if I can shim the diff and see if I can add one more shim to the drive shaft gear. I am giving this thing the benefit of the doubt, I have been doing this a long time and sometimes things just happen. This car is awesome and I havent even driven it. Just built well and nice attention to detail.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:06 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

I ran mine into a tree and bam ! It broke...Then I ran it into a landscaping block and danged if it didn't break again..!.. Then I brutalized it until the front dog bone came out and tookout my 24 dollar aluminum steering post. I just don't understand why this 14lbs brute can't keep running....
Dairy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip73 View Post
Looking at it now, it looks like either the bulkhead is warped or flexed under load. We shall see. I emailed Axial still waiting for a response but I went and ordered everything I need to rebuild plus some shims to see if I can shim the diff and see if I can add one more shim to the drive shaft gear. I am giving this thing the benefit of the doubt, I have been doing this a long time and sometimes things just happen. This car is awesome and I havent even driven it. Just built well and nice attention to detail.
I tried to put a 3rd shim on the driveshaft gear and the c-clip wouldnt go on. I'm about to order the metal rings from ebay dont remember if they are dhawk or gpm but hopefully that will help.
Gradymanzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I shot mine point blank with a Sherman tank....I still can't find the damn thing. Worthless P.O.S shouldn't Have budged an inch. Sure wish axial knew how to make an RC Car that would withstand a little trigger pull......
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
I shot mine point blank with a Sherman tank....I still can't find the damn thing. Worthless P.O.S shouldn't Have budged an inch. Sure wish axial knew how to make an RC Car that would withstand a little trigger pull......
My thoughts exactly, I pulled the trigger on my transmitter and the front diff detonated. 3 days to build, 30 seconds to un-build.

having second thoughts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your thoughts... crawl-o-matic General Scale Talk 5 10-09-2013 04:25 PM
Your Thoughts LostCrawler Axial SCX-10 6 02-01-2011 01:19 PM
thoughts? demonoid369 Chit Chat 15 01-03-2011 08:57 PM
Your thoughts on these BJoe HPI Wheely King 12 01-20-2008 09:29 PM