Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: my yeti xl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2015, 04:40 PM   #1

Default my yeti xl

finally got it on the ground a yesterday. this is my first rc since i was a little boy. things have changed a lot.

im using a hobbywing xerun 2200vk sensor combo and 2 venom 7.4v 5000mah
servo is a hitec hs-7954sh

waiting for hobbywing bec to come in.

first run in the drive way; all tires came off. so i glued them in and i think i went a little over board with it.

over all fun to build.

Last edited by jvh22a; 05-26-2015 at 01:06 PM.
jvh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2015, 05:52 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Looks great! Welcome to the club!
avted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: my yeti xl

The camo scheme looks awesome!!
Fordfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:00 AM   #4

LOOKS GREAT!
joham22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:32 AM   #5

thanks guys; i bought these for my kids, i just wanted to build them.

took the wraith and the Xl out to the park today and stripped out the servo link.

it seems kind of slow!!!! what are your thoughts on this.
hobbywing 150a esc
hobbywing 2200kv motor
hitec hs-7954sh servo
2x venom 2s 7.4v 5000mah 25c batteries

just didnt impress me on speed. didnt seem right to me.

is it the batteries?
Old 05-24-2015, 02:20 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh22a View Post
thanks guys; i bought these for my kids, i just wanted to build them.

took the wraith and the Xl out to the park today and stripped out the servo link.

it seems kind of slow!!!! what are your thoughts on this.
hobbywing 150a esc
hobbywing 2200kv motor
hitec hs-7954sh servo
2x venom 2s 7.4v 5000mah 25c batteries

just didnt impress me on speed. didnt seem right to me.

is it the batteries?
That's What all dads confess, i mean say.

25C is kind of low in general. You will see it as you described. I run basically the same ESC (Quicrun 150) and your exact motor. I am running 2S 40C 8200mAh, 17T pinion and punch setting of 9.

A little boring at the beginning but should give you and idea of speed for my settings towards the middle part of the video

">
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:37 AM   #7

nice video;

you're XL does look faster then mine(my son)

is it the "C" rating of the battery that gives it more power or something?

im using the original pinion, which i think is a 15t. does the 17t make it go faster?

the shocks looked like they blow. oil and dirt all over the shock and inside the body panels.

im going to switch back to factory specs for the shocks my setup seemed to stiff in the front. was using 1.3mm 4 hole; 40wt oil
Old 05-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
nice video;

you're XL does look faster then mine(my son)

is it the "C" rating of the battery that gives it more power or something?

im using the original pinion, which i think is a 15t. does the 17t make it go faster?

the shocks looked like they blow. oil and dirt all over the shock and inside the body panels.

im going to switch back to factory specs for the shocks my setup seemed to stiff in the front. was using 1.3mm 4 hole; 40wt oil
Thanks. Videos don't give a true sense of speed like in person but a general idea.

The "C" rating is just how much available power aka amps your batteries can deliver. The more you have the easier it will be to push an object. When your pushing a 13lb vehicle the more the better. It also makes the entire electronics more efficient. That means lower heat temps on the motor, ESC, batteries and servo. Hope that crude explanation helps.

My first few runs were with the 15T pinion. I was happy with the power until BobTeagle suggested trying the 17T. What a huge difference. I would guess it is as close to running 5S as you can get. I don't have the terrain to run 6S or more like the Huevos. I am very happy with the 4S 17T power and run time.

My shocks started to leak after my 2nd run. I have rebuilt them 3x with new o-rings but they still do. They don't leak at the bottom just the top. My only thought is the o-ring on the shock cap is too small. When you install it there is a lot of "extra" room in the recess it sits in. When you tighten it down the "extra" room distorts the o-ring ans it doesn't seal correctly. Just my guess though. They really need a better o-ring, bleeder and a bleeder hole IMO. Some day i'll get rid of them and go to the Losi XXL2 shocks. If they weren't Red i would have switched a while ago. Losi LST shocks are just Blue XXL2 shocks but are very hard to find.

Shock tuning is very personal IMO. Your terrain and driving style are a big part of it. I have the stock pistons and 30W in mine. I like the way they perform but at static rest the front is already halfway through it cycle. You don;t drive like that so it doesn't matte but it does mean the springs are too soft. No amount of oil weight is going to fix that.

Last edited by cmbscx10; 05-24-2015 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Added Sentences
Old 05-24-2015, 04:46 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Following some advice I read on here, I replaced the top springs on the front shocks with soft HPI Baja springs and then moved those old front top springs to the rear. Now it rides a little higher and isn't so soft in the front and rarely bottoms out.
mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:54 PM   #10

The xerun combo came with a 19t and 13t pinion. So I put the 19t in and hope I got the mesh right.

The fronts just don't have any spring to it. I push the front down and it just slowly moves back up. The rear however does spring back up.
I will look into the Baja springs. Do you have part numbers and color of the springs?

Anyone want to buy the wraith spawn? Or trade for a tamiya semi truck kit(unbuilt)?
Old 05-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I just won a brand new set of (4) Losi XXL shocks of Fleabay for $30. They are the plastic bodied ones but at least they are not Red. I'll throw those on the next time my stock ones need a rebuild.

Keep an eye on motor temps w/the 19T. Do a couple a trigger pulls and check it, then repeat.

DO a search for HPI springs. The thread was a little while ago.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:37 PM   #12

I was trying it out in the garage. Seems like if I give it 100% throttle and try it again within a few seconds there is a slight delay before it will move.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:02 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I was having the same issues with the leaky shocks and they are correct, the clear oring type seal is way to thin and distorts/tears. A member here advised a good tip to use associated 16 millimeter shock seals. I've done it and it works great, actually don't need shocks just yet.
Dionisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:17 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionisi View Post
I was having the same issues with the leaky shocks and they are correct, the clear oring type seal is way to thin and distorts/tears. A member here advised a good tip to use associated 16 millimeter shock seals. I've done it and it works great, actually don't need shocks just yet.
Is this the Part? Team Associated 16mm Shock Rebuild Kit [ASC89352] | Parts - AMain.com - AMain.com
Old 05-25-2015, 01:21 AM   #15
RCC Addict

89351 was the part I ordered.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:29 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
89351 was the part I ordered.
Those are the bladders which come in the kit. The shocks need bladders IMO anyway.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:36 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The xerun combo came with a 19t and 13t pinion. So I put the 19t in and hope I got the mesh right.

The fronts just don't have any spring to it. I push the front down and it just slowly moves back up. The rear however does spring back up.
I will look into the Baja springs. Do you have part numbers and color of the springs?

Anyone want to buy the wraith spawn? Or trade for a tamiya semi truck kit(unbuilt)?
They are yellow. You use the hpi small helper springs up front and move the stock Axial small springs to the rear
BobTeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:44 PM   #18

I put the 19t in and still is slow. What I noticed is that reverse is crazy fast!!!!
So I tried to reset the throttle limits on the hobby wing esc. Still the same.
Should I set the esc to clock wise rotation? And then reset the throttle limits?

I going to get the springs and oring in the next 2 weeks. As well as new batteries. I've only ordered from tower hobby. Any other shops you guys recommend for cheap prices?
Old 05-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I put the 19t in and still is slow. What I noticed is that reverse is crazy fast!!!!
So I tried to reset the throttle limits on the hobby wing esc. Still the same.
Should I set the esc to clock wise rotation? And then reset the throttle limits?

I going to get the springs and oring in the next 2 weeks. As well as new batteries. I've only ordered from tower hobby. Any other shops you guys recommend for cheap prices?
Yes change the motor rotation.

For Batteries and as much as your budget can allow
SPC LiPo Power, Lithium Polymer (LiPo) Battery Pack; 8200mAh, 50C, 2S, 7.4V Soft-Case
Value Hobby R/C Hobby Store (Addison, Illinois): Welcome to ValueHobby
VAN2S8040 $49.99 Vant Battery 7.4V 8000mAh 2S Cell 40C-80C LiPo Battery Pack w/ Traxxas High Current Connector : The Barn Floor - Dirt Cheap RC
Home
Factory Spec 7.4V 6500mAh 60C Deans
Pro-Match Racing Inc. - Matched RC Car Racing Batteries, Products and Accessories for remote control RC cars.
Lipo Power System 5200
Old 05-25-2015, 02:07 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

You can reverse two motor wires and then reverse the throttle switch on your remote. You will need to recalibrate throttle inputs after doing this.

I've had to do this with several esc's. Some esc's push more Amps in forward than reverse. If you have the diretion wrong for the rc drivetrain then it will be slower forward than reverse
BobTeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

my yeti xl - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti, Set, GO!!! FastEddy Bearings for the Axial Yeti FastEddy Axial Yeti 13 04-21-2015 07:33 AM