Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: RC4WD Tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default RC4WD Tires

Just wanted to share one of the better upgrades I've done for the XL. I Purchased and mounted the RC4WD- Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ tires and Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 wheels last week. The combo has been great! They are taller, wider and lighter than the RTR stock tires and wheels. They have improved ground clearance, stability and performance... with less strain on the motor and servo. Looks great, also! Trying to post some pics but I don't think this site cares for IOS much. Will get some up soon.
Trifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2015, 12:09 PM   #2

Default Re: RC4WD Tires

You can always host them somewhere like imgur.com and just use the [img] tags that they give you after the upload. I'd be interested to see how they look.

edit: holy crap they're huge. I was planning on picking up Pro-Line Rock Rages and F-11 wheels, but I might scrap that plan.

Last edited by hypnolobster; 05-29-2015 at 12:17 PM.
hypnolobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:34 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Mounted photos will follow

Imgur
Old 05-29-2015, 04:43 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifish View Post
Just wanted to share one of the better upgrades I've done for the XL. I Purchased and mounted the RC4WD- Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ tires and Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 wheels last week. The combo has been great! They are taller, wider and lighter than the RTR stock tires and wheels. They have improved ground clearance, stability and performance... with less strain on the motor and servo. Looks great, also! Trying to post some pics but I don't think this site cares for IOS much. Will get some up soon.
What is the weight difference? I like the way those look. Thanks for sharing!
YXLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Do you have a measurement in grams/oz on the tire/wheel? I measured the stock BFG/Axial wheel at ~365g per tire, which is moderately light but less than the Pro-Line combos and more than the MT4 tires.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:23 PM   #6

Mickey Thompson 40 Series 3.8" Baja MTZ Scale Tires
Looks like the tires are 360g each, so it must be at least slightly heavier than the stock setup unless the mt4's are very very light. I don't know if the kit or RTR wheels/tires are significantly different weights.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:13 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, the MTZ's are heavier than the stock BFGoodrich. The difference is in the wheels. The MT4 G3 wheels are extremely light. I will weight both combos individually and post. However, when I picked both up ... I was surprised that the MTZ/MT4g3 was lighter.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:29 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Are you planning on regearing for the taller tires?
Silverblazer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Nope, i have put 3 packs thru it with no problems. One pack included some pretty hard bashing at an old golf course. So far, absolutely no gearing issues. I do not have a small digital scale but plan to buy one today. All I know is, when comparing the stock to my new set up... They are lighter. That's why I started this thread. I love my XL but did want more ground clearance. I researched the lightest tire/wheel combo that would help lift her up. In my opinion, tires are not the problem... the weight of the steel and aluminum wheels out there are.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:08 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I should have added, I am running a CC BEC and a HItec HSB-9380TH servo. Also, modified all steering linkages and bell crank to aluminum.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:09 PM   #11

I'm running wider hexes on my xl and I just bought some of these. I think it'll make it look a little less goofy with the wide stance.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:44 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifish View Post
Mounted photos will follow

Imgur
Thanks for the info. So far i may update my tires to these. Can you do a full vehicle side shot with them mounted? Thanks
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:12 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Ok, my manual hand scale was a little off. Haha! However, they are pretty much the same weight. Stock: 14.0oz MTZ: 14.1oz

Imgur

Pics with the MTZ's mounted

Imgur
Old 05-30-2015, 07:59 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Awesome pics and info. Thanks.

One of the reasons i bought the YXL was the "Scale" factor. I really liked the look of the stock tires but the RC4WD are way way better looking. Definitely on the list of upgrades now.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:48 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for starting this thread, Trifish. Can you offer any insight on how these tires handle different terrain (e.g. Rock crawling vs bashing) compared to the stock RTR or kit tires, ballooning, tread softness/stickiness?
avted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:18 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Well, the MTZ's are definitely firmer then the stock tires. They soak up jumps much better also, which was my primary reason for getting them. I'm a straight basher.... I enjoy going fast and jumping anything I can. So I was looking for larger tires for ground clearance and forgiveness with jumping. So far, I must say, they are performing just like I wanted. No more bottoming out when landing and clears the most uneven terrains. The MTZ's are 3.4' wide and right at 8' tall... Compared to the stock at 2.9' wide and (actual measurement) 7.1' tall. So even though my COG has increased by 1/2 inch or so, I've widen my stance also. Not to mention the G3 wheels have around 18-20 mm offset to 0 offset with the stock wheels. I have noticed improved stability and ability to make sharper turns without ending up on my lid. They do bite more on grass and dirt, which causes the front end to lift up at lower throttle speed than the stock. I do believe they have more traction on dirt and grass and can really rut up your yard. They definitely do not balloon as much as the stock... But the stock tires are stickier. Unfortunately, the closest I've gotten to rock crawling is a mound of pea gravel at a construction site... So I can't give insight in that regard. But I do believe that the stock tires would be better for rock crawling. On a side note, the motor has not run any hotter than with the stock tires and have not broken anything thru 6 packs, on 6s.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:46 AM   #17

These will widen your stance even more and should offset that raised COG even more.
Amazon.com: Associated RC8T Wheel Hex: Toys & Games

I really like the look of those, and .1 oz weight penalty is pretty awesome for that much extra tire.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:28 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Thanks, hypnolobster! Can't beat that price... Just ordered some.

This is my 1st RC since college and its amazing how much these vehicles have improved in 15 years. Also, it's a lot more fun when you have some money in your pocket to blow. I have since bought an Arrma Kraton, Stampede 4x4 and a little micro Losi SCT. All in a couple of months. I guess It's kinda an addiction. Haha. Any suggestions on my next RC?... Kinda thinking of getting a scale street car? If it's an inappropriate question for this site, disregard.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:09 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I hope this is considered a necro, but I would love an update on this setup. I'm considering purchasing the same tire and wheel combo.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:49 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

The tires are friggin awsome for this monster buggy. The wheels are OK...some have had an issue with stripping out the hexes. Mine are holding up good but I use a 3/8 ratchet with a 17mm socket to sock down my wheels. The tires are also a pretty loose fit on the wheels so you will need to put big rubber bands around the OD while the glue cures. Or a tape that stretches like electrical tape.
But again, the tires are really good. Great traction on every surface that I've been on. I also went from RC4WD mud slingers to these and the difference in handling was noticeable immediately.
Fordfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote