Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: pinion wear already!? (dam u 6s)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default pinion wear already!? (dam u 6s)

So i received my fast eddy bearings today and was eager to install them and kinda not.(major disassembly). I get to the pinion and i see a decent amount of wear. Sucks really. Are these pinions hardened? Has a small chip line where the ring meets and the ring looks perfect.Not even a scratch.Question is should replace it or lightly dremel buff it and drive away till i goes? http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/...psxzrlrwat.jpg
Dionisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2015, 04:12 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: pinion wear already!? (dam u 6s)

I really don't understand why everyone is going 6S with these. I just fired mine up for the first time with a T8 2250kV on 4S and it's PLENTY of speed and torque to have fun and stay running longer.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:08 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionisi View Post
So i received my fast eddy bearings today and was eager to install them and kinda not.(major disassembly). I get to the pinion and i see a decent amount of wear. Sucks really. Are these pinions hardened? Has a small chip line where the ring meets and the ring looks perfect.Not even a scratch.Question is should replace it or lightly dremel buff it and drive away till i goes? http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/...psxzrlrwat.jpg
That looks like some sort of debris went through the gears. I'd recommend replacing that, as buffing or changing the gear profile in any way will result in tooth failure. They are advertised as hardened I believe, but I find that unlikely. Axial should really address some of the weak areas that everyone is having to address and charge a little more. Having to replace bearings right out of the box is pretty pathetic in my opinion. Stiffer plastics in some areas (steering rack anyone?) would be nice too.
YXLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I agree yxler. I also agree that running 4s will keep wear and tear down but kinda annoyed that I have to replace it and the ring is in perfect condition. They only sell the ring in pairs I'm sure since they are both mated and worn together. Again 40 bux and to be honest ran it for like a few weeks, small jumps. Nothing like that guy on YouTube which I'm sure uve seen, amazing vids btw palacios I believe. Anyway that's my rant, I think most people complain as they do because it really is a kool truck. But to be honest I kinda wish hpi would clone it and toughen it up.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Hmm I'm sure this is pretty obvious but just an observation, but I have a feeling 500k diff weight is what helped do it. Punching the throttle and landing the diff pinions barely move transferring all the torque to the outer ring and pinion. Unfortunate cuz I like the setup.

pinion wear already!? (dam u 6s) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Normal Diff Pinion Wear relay1 Axial Yeti XL 35 05-31-2015 09:25 PM
Horrible rear pinion wear. losikid Team Losi Comp Crawler 16 11-02-2010 06:09 PM
scx10 wear nuevototem Axial SCX-10 6 12-29-2009 08:03 PM
Ring and pinion wear Tonelock HPI Wheely King 4 07-20-2009 03:30 AM
Rccrawler wear?? ROLANDROCKSHOP Comments, Suggestions, and Help 12 01-22-2009 11:28 AM