Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: YXL Concept Monster Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2015, 07:46 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default YXL Concept Monster Truck

After months of blissful YXL RTR bashing, I got to thinking it would be nice to have wider tires so I got this

And for a while it looked nice but. after a few more weeks it looked more like a pimped out YXL
good thing about low profile tires no discernible doughnut tire look. It was after I bought my sons E-maxx that I realize I was looking more a more monster truck look than a buggy with monster truck tires. So I came up with the YXL concept monster truck and like everyone my first stop was photoshop and I came up with this rendering.
It took a while and a lot of looking for a suitable solid axle with steering, then I saw the RC4WD digger axle
and while browsing their site I came across these 2

and lemme tell ya it takes a while to find those 3. After snagging the tires and wheels 5 weeks later I was faced with my first major decision go with the digger axle or go with Helios steering for YXL that became available at shapeways. I needed some expert advice so I emailed rc4wd and asked them on how to fit demolisher wheels in the YXL RTR and the sent me this

The ESC

The motor

After that everything just came together all that was left to do was to get a YXL rtr donor, figuring out one or 2 servo and front center drive or so I thought.

The mock up

next to the RTR with the pimped out tires

still doing measurements for the links and the front center drive shaft

Last edited by tonyfalkon; 07-20-2017 at 04:16 PM.
tonyfalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2015, 08:13 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: YXL Concept Monster Truck

It has begun!
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:30 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Just some specs
Length 32"
Width 23"
Height 14.5"
Wheelbase 23.25"
Ground Clearance 3.5" at the bottom of the axle
Weight 29 lbs
Old 07-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Wow! I am at a loss for words. Truly awesome idea. Subscribed and can't wait to see where you go wit it.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I was really hoping axial was working on a solid front axle for a wraith xl. This is awesome! Maybe it will motivate them some more. Maybe we will learn something new at Axialfest this year. I bet yours might end up being more durable though.
Dextroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:56 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Awsome! Absolutely fricken bad a$$ !
Fordfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
It has begun!
No thanks to you LOL I was hoping you would talk me off the ledge when I came to you with the idea back in June. I'm kinda sorta maybe unsure that you didn't it has been blissful, antagonizing and sleepless since I pulled the trigger. Thank you for your insights they were invaluable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextroyer View Post
I was really hoping axial was working on a solid front axle for a wraith xl. This is awesome! Maybe it will motivate them some more. Maybe we will learn something new at Axialfest this year. I bet yours might end up being more durable though.
From your lips to Axial's ear Dex , but we all know that scale model this size is not very profitable to them, it is what it is, but still hoping that maybe they will.

Speaking of durability, a week ago it hit me, after finishing the mock up the plastic trail arms even with the metal plates looks a little flimsy. I am no engineer, physically it feels sturdy and the measurements of the plastic parts support it but looking at it overall I'm struggling but hopeful it can support its first 10 foot jump. Its all trivial at this point I won't know till I finish putting it all together.

One of my concerns are the original front CVD's

designed for IFS its tapered thin in the middle at 4.5 mm and 6.5 mm at the end of the ball. It will need to be addressed in the future but for now I wanna give it the benefit of the doubt and see how long it will last. I am also looking at other CVD's with the same or close to 11 x 123 mm dimensions like Redcat, HPI and modify it but, it might compromise the integrity of the material. Sometimes its just easier to just make one from scratch with tool steel but I will let the machinist decide which route is more durable.

I bought two HR Telescoping Steel Rear Drive Shaft SYEX37

for the front and rear, it wasn't until the mock up when I saw it was 20-25 mm short in the rear since this rig will be rear steering. It will be easier if I just put front steering and extend the front center driveshaft but I am considering 4 wheel steering. Better get that out of the now and not worry later.

While waiting for parts I did manage to work on the Helios the servo mount designed to be mounted on the left modified to fit on the right. With each mounted tire weighting in at 3.6 lbs I'm thinking 500 oz-in torque / wheel so the servo will run cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfreak95 View Post
Awsome! Absolutely fricken bad a$$ !
Thank you again for the insight on the electronics I hope the motor I chose will hold up.

Last edited by tonyfalkon; 07-14-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I don't really know what to say...I just wanna see it drive first. That pic with the 1 demolisher on looks as goofy as I imagined it. .
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
I don't really know what to say...I just wanna see it drive first. That pic with the 1 demolisher on looks as goofy as I imagined it. .
Where's the compassion a little consideration for club footed RC's
Apologies couldn't help myself I couldn't leave it hanging like that
Old 07-14-2015, 04:38 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Gear it low and use real good 3s lipos. 100c burst at least. Use 10 gauge wire and you'll need a good 1/5 scale cap pack probably.
My TP 4050 1570kv motor geared 17/64 is completely crazy even with the heavy mudslinggers... I am going to try a 16 or 15 tooth pinion next. It's too fast for something this big. Also use RR pinions. I snapped a Axial 17t pinion last night. My RR spur is spotless though.
After 32 minutes of Bashing use my max motor temp was 128 degrees BTW!
Old 08-02-2015, 07:55 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Three weeks and $109 later I decided to change the original chassis approach an expensive lesson but never the less, onwards. So to photoshop I went again, this was the chassis of the original mock up. I finished measurements on the steering links, drag links, front center drive shaft and its mount. Hopefully the machinist will have the aluminum links and beefier drive shafts soon.

and I came up with this

Its cleaner, joint areas are easier to reinforce and its more solid all around. On the flip side however a new front center drive shaft mount needs to be measured and machined in order to keep both servo cradle and sealed receiver box intact.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Coming along nicely. Excellent work and looking forward to your future progress.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:01 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Aw man this is a great build thread! I didn't realize the size it's going to end up being! Gear it low..There is always the 4070 series if the 4050 gets too hot. You should add this build to URCs monster truck section.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:16 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Looks great man that chassis is a real good idea.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:24 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys I have tons of ideas on how to improve the chassis including aluminum front extension instead of the chopped back half of the original chassis, but for now I'm just anxious to see it run, maybe in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfreak95 View Post
Aw man this is a great build thread! I didn't realize the size it's going to end up being! Gear it low..There is always the 4070 series if the 4050 gets too hot. You should add this build to URCs monster truck section.
Not to worry Ford I have RRP 11-18t pinion 64, 60 and 58t spurs and a cooling system with the water jacket that came with the motor. As for URC I'm not even a member but I'll look into it.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:01 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Any updates?
Old 08-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

So after 3 weekends of cutting, filing and waiting for parts I got the servo links, drag links, rear driveshaft, center driveshaft and mount done.

Back

Front

Front hood is resting on top for the fuel cell, it will be moved back 20 mm to be hidden and flush the hood so as not to clash with the front lights.

I'm having trouble with this last one though go with 4 40 mm fans or

go with 2 50 mm fans which is close to the size of the faux fan on the back of the RTR which is about 55 mm.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:10 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Next on the to do list
Chassis
Mounts for radiator, shroud for 2 or 4 fans, ECS and maybe fuel cell too.
Mount Lights up the wazoo front, rear, turn, brake and reverse.
Electronics
Wiring for lights, water pump, fans, servo, BEC and soldering connections for ECS and Motor.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:41 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

That was a downer had the build done and was looking forward this weekend to get it running and jumping instead of writing to TP power USA for an RMA. I brought it to the LHS last Tuesday for soldering the connectors spent 3 days trying to get the electronics running. Yesterday I went back to the LHS to have them work oh it I thought I was doing something wrong with binding of radio and receiver, turns out motor cogs and the beeps were almost inaudible. Tested other motors including the 2028 800 kv motor, and FF was right that thing is like a soda can, my system ran with no problem, then connected the TP motor again played around with the controls on the radio and swap the connections between the motor and ESC but still not working.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:25 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Unhappy Re: YXL Concept Monster Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfalkon View Post
That was a downer had the build done and was looking forward this weekend to get it running and jumping instead of writing to TP power USA for an RMA. I brought it to the LHS last Tuesday for soldering the connectors spent 3 days trying to get the electronics running. Yesterday I went back to the LHS to have them work oh it I thought I was doing something wrong with binding of radio and receiver, turns out motor cogs and the beeps were almost inaudible. Tested other motors including the 2028 800 kv motor, and FF was right that thing is like a soda can, my system ran with no problem, then connected the TP motor again played around with the controls on the radio and swap the connections between the motor and ESC but still not working.
Aw man...sorry to hear. Maybe use the return to get a lower KV motor at the same time??

YXL Concept Monster Truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can we get a mega truck - mud truck - monster truck section? Calderwood Comments, Suggestions, and Help 46 08-07-2015 11:15 AM
Yeti Concept Truck redbaron Chit Chat 5 06-12-2009 01:16 AM
Suzuki X-Head concept Truck cheapjeep2 Chit Chat 7 01-14-2008 09:32 PM