Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Slipper Clutch Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2015, 06:04 PM   #1

Default Slipper Clutch Question

I'm trying to adjust my slipper clutch. First time ever doing this. I tightened the nut as far as I could with the small four-way wrench. The spring is almost compressed all the way, but not quite. Do I just need to put a bigger wrench on and tighten it even more to completely compress the spring and then back it off about a half turn? When I test it right now by holding both back tires, the front wheels do not come off the ground and I can still hear the slipper clutch working. I can't get it any tighter with the four-way and it feels like I'm over tightening it, but it might just be that hard. Should it pull the wheels off the ground a few inches when I hold the back tires, or does this method not work on the Yeti XL?
jdhorton000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Slipper Clutch Question

If its tight enough it should flip over backwards. On my kit the slipper was great at first then it started slipping too much no matter how tight the nut was. On disassembly I noticed looking at the aluminum pads that only about a 1/3 of the pad was contacting the large washer. I switched to the Hot Racing spur and slipper parts with new aluminum pads and washers and all is good now. I haven't taken it apart to check the pads but as good as it is working I don't want to. I run the nut 1/4 turn out from full tight.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:50 PM   #3

I haven't even really run the Yeti just yet. Just got it finished and I'm trying to dial things in. The slipper was something something I could tell needed to be tightened. Is it really that hard to tighten it up, maybe its just hard because I was using the small four way wrench. I'm going to put a open ended wrench or socket on it tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhorton000 View Post
I haven't even really run the Yeti just yet. Just got it finished and I'm trying to dial things in. The slipper was something something I could tell needed to be tightened. Is it really that hard to tighten it up, maybe its just hard because I was using the small four way wrench. I'm going to put a open ended wrench or socket on it tomorrow.

Mine was pretty easy to tighten to spec.
The spring is only thing that has load on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
themacguru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhorton000 View Post
I'm trying to adjust my slipper clutch. First time ever doing this. I tightened the nut as far as I could with the small four-way wrench. The spring is almost compressed all the way, but not quite. Do I just need to put a bigger wrench on and tighten it even more to completely compress the spring and then back it off about a half turn? When I test it right now by holding both back tires, the front wheels do not come off the ground and I can still hear the slipper clutch working. I can't get it any tighter with the four-way and it feels like I'm over tightening it, but it might just be that hard. Should it pull the wheels off the ground a few inches when I hold the back tires, or does this method not work on the Yeti XL?
With the Yeti XL you tighten the nut down on the slipper so there is 2mm of threads exposed from the end of the shaft. You can make small adjustments from there if needed. See page 50 in the kit instructions.

If you start cranking on it with a bigger wrench you will probably break parts.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
With the Yeti XL you tighten the nut down on the slipper so there is 2mm of threads exposed from the end of the shaft. You can make small adjustments from there if needed. See page 50 in the kit instructions.

If you start cranking on it with a bigger wrench you will probably break parts.
I put a small wrench on it this morning and got it tight. Then I backed off about a quarter turn and it will now lift the front tires about an inch before it slips, this is with me holding the back tires. At the book recommended 2mm it would slip under light throttle. I hope I don't have it too tight but it seems right now.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:19 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

All this slipper clutch talk has me goofing around with mine. The stock aluminum circles that contact the spur are pretty worn. The aluminum pads that fit on the spur aren't that bad. When looking at the Yeti XL part list, it has AX31068 listed as the slipper pad. Those are clearly the fiber pad and not the aluminum. Mistake? Did they change them to aluminum?

Has anyone tried the fiber pad (AX3106? I'm going to try it tonight. It'll either work, not work, or explode (probably not explode).
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
All this slipper clutch talk has me goofing around with mine. The stock aluminum circles that contact the spur are pretty worn. The aluminum pads that fit on the spur aren't that bad. When looking at the Yeti XL part list, it has AX31068 listed as the slipper pad. Those are clearly the fiber pad and not the aluminum. Mistake? Did they change them to aluminum?

Has anyone tried the fiber pad (AX3106? I'm going to try it tonight. It'll either work, not work, or explode (probably not explode).
How tight do you put your slipper clutch? I'm at about 3mm and it seems good now.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:28 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Anyone ready for a lesson in slipper clutch-ology?

What does a slipper clutch provide? Why I'd it there? A slipper clutch is designed to reduction the shock on the driveline between the motor and wheels through the transmission. 2 ways....one way is from the motor as you ramp up the throttle, typically on initial powerup. The second way is the reverse. Typically, when the truck lands or experiences sudden stop via brakes, the slipper keeps the the sudden change between wheels peed and transmission from eating gears.

The correct setting for any slipper clutch is adjusted under normal operations...

Idealy, you never want the front wheels coming off the ground under acceleration and it should slip aboUT 2-3 feet before fully engaging and hauling butt.

If your slipper is slipping too much, it will create too much heat and poor performance/efficiency. Too tight, back flips, wheelies, broken axles, gear, driveshafts, Trans gears, stripped spur gears and warped plates.

Keep this in mind, if yiu can not get it to adjust correctly, you either have wrong slipper plates or wrong slipper spring.

One last thing. A cold slipper clutch will slip until it warms up. If it gets loose when it warms up, it is worn out. Make your adjustments after it is warmed up

Last edited by redsawacs; 10-07-2015 at 02:00 PM.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:47 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I adjusted the slipper last night. I have about 4 threads from the screw past the nut. I don't measure anything, always eye ball. Nerds measure things. Actually I'm too lazy to get a tape measure or ruler. I have it set so if I pull the trigger all the way, front tires barely lift off. I never slam the Yeti XL off a cold start, I just don't drive like that. I like for it to have a controlled start before I slam it into something.

I know that before last night, my slipper clutch was not working at all. If these new pads don't last long, I'm going to put the Robinson Racing slipper on.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:22 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

The fiber slipper pads failed. They worked great until but after about 15 minutes of hard driving I think the heat killed them . The glue that holds them to the spur melted and the slipper spun like crazy. I was able to tighten it enough to run the packs out. I put new aluminum stock pads on when I got home. Haven't test them out yet. I ended up drinking yesterday instead of RCing or being a productive member of society. I almost drove the YXL after a few beer , but thought better of it. Not only would I break parts, I'm pretty sure someone (probably me) would have been injured...gravely.

Slipper Clutch Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slipper clutch question sgtgator Axial SCX-10 2 12-18-2012 03:30 PM
Slipper Clutch question thisdougsforu Axial SCX-10 3 02-23-2012 05:43 PM
slipper clutch question ned72 Newbie General 11 11-30-2011 12:21 PM
Slipper Clutch Question? mmatthews Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 5 08-03-2011 01:48 AM