Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: 2wd YXL?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2015, 12:49 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2wd YXL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
To be honest, that should not have been warrantied...look at all the rust and muck inside that axle. That was a neglect issue.....maybe I should call them about my worn out tires or my beat up body panels as well.

If you buy an aluminum axle, your only going to be spending more money when this happens again. An aluminum housing will not keep bearings from exploding nor will it hold up to a damaged bearing. It will eat aluminum just as easily.
In agreement X 1000
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by keebler1510 View Post
Sorry if it's seems as though I got one over on them. When I called them and explained wt happened the girl on the other end just asked me for part number of wt I broke and said they would replace them. I never directly asked for replacements. More just letting them know wt happened to me. You probly could call them and say your tires wore out and want new ones, she didn't seem to care much about why they broke just get wanted to get me running again.
Don't take this the wrong way but you did get one over on Axial. Regardless even if she/he was a dimwhit as a human being knowing right from wrong you should have just let her know the problem of what happens to a product that when not maintained explodes, causes multiple items to fail and said thank for the offer. This was not Axial designing a crappy product. If our Axial rigs go up in price this is one reason why. Harsh? Yes but true.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:41 PM   #23

i have been running yeti XL in 2wd for a while, it needs some front sway bar and some rear weight, but after some quick mod, it runs fine.
I would seriously suggest tuning down the power of the 1515 motor, otherwise 6S and RWD will soon destroy your drive chain.
the three bearings mod + proper shimming(a must!) and a torque limit of 7 out of 10 in the castle esc has worked very well for me. controlling the torque also helps a bit with the tricycle issue as well.
wdiabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:03 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

I've been away for a bit and missed the pics. They remind me of the horror pictures PC techs send to HardOCP. PCs all nasty from being the house of a smoker for years. PC with dead rats in them. I think I saw a dead rat in that rear axle housing.

It's cool of Axial to send new parts. They're a cool company and they could have said no (freewill and all that). If you told them the truth and they still sent you new parts... kudos to you. Enjoy the parts. Please take care of your YXL once you get her tuned up. I would love it if they sent a copy "A Newbies Guide to RC Maintenance".

Post pics of the clean set up once you get it updated. Before and after would be awesome.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Sorry if it's seems as though I got one over on them. When I called them and explained wt happened the girl on the other end just asked me for part number of wt I broke and said they would replace them. I never directly asked for replacements. More just letting them know wt happened to me. You probly could call them and say your tires wore out and want new ones, she didn't seem to care much about why they broke just get wanted to get me running again.
My first run I stripped my rear wheels. They were very tight so I'm assuming it was the power on grass that did it. I was being careful not to flip it over so I wasn't punching the throttle. I would get it moving before hammering it. I didn't want to scratch my new truck, lol. I emailed axial and without hesitation they sent me new wheels and tires. I also didn't ask them for anything, just asked about a stronger replacement from them. After reading the forums I have been slightly babying mine like it's gonna explode. Besides the wheels the only trouble is my spektrum 6001 servo. Doesn't seem to have enough torque.
tech3241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:30 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
I've been away for a bit and missed the pics. They remind me of the horror pictures PC techs send to HardOCP. PCs all nasty from being the house of a smoker for years. PC with dead rats in them. I think I saw a dead rat in that rear axle housing.

It's cool of Axial to send new parts. They're a cool company and they could have said no (freewill and all that). If you told them the truth and they still sent you new parts... kudos to you. Enjoy the parts. Please take care of your YXL once you get her tuned up. I would love it if they sent a copy "A Newbies Guide to RC Maintenance".

Post pics of the clean set up once you get it updated. Before and after would be awesome.
So everyone saying that I didn't maintain my vehicle I am guessing you didn't read my early post right. Let me explain I had just recently rebuilt the rear end and front end with fresh fluid, grease, new shims, dhawk bulkhead, and dhawk spacers. Bearings, driveshafts, and drive cups were removed inspected and set in a Teflon coating over night. They still looked good for being the original bearings. Reassembly went normal and all seemed smooth. Fresh green marine grease was put in and it felt better then ever on the first two packs of 4s.

I put the truck thru some rough (I admit it)mud bashing, sorry didn't know I couldn't run my waterproof truck thru water, but after a fun 20 min of bouncing around nothing seemed wrong just a dead battery. Took the truck home and hosed out with fresh water and let dry for a few hrs. Then picked it up for a few days, I took it out again and didn't make it half way thru my yard before it shredded the rear axle. At the time that happened I had some other stuff to go do anyway so the truck got picked up in my office for another week before I got to open the axle.

The pics show what was fresh green grease that now has black plastic shaved and blended into it, along with teeth from both gears, and parts of the blown bearing. The rust must be from sitting between last washing and actual disassembling it. I don't know if the bearing failed first or the retaining screws backed out first, either way it failed before a forth pack could be run after its last teardown, that seems a little to quick to me. However my other rcs usually get a basic tear down every 6 months for maintenance. Currently I have traxxas revo 3.3 brushless conversion, proline pro2 sc kit, and the yeti xl rtr(because I thought it was cool and couldn't wait for the kit version). Had a few other nitro cars in the past and recently decided to get a small fpv quad. I'm not saying that it was a good thing for me to neglect my truck for so long but I just didn't have time to tear into it.

Not gonna say I was right to just accept the parts when offered but how many people would really turn down basically a new axle. I only need to move over some of my existing parts and put it back together. This time I think I'll avoid the thinner green marine grease and go with nice coating of lucas heavy duty gear lube, which should stick on the bearings very well and help keep water out of them. I do plan on replacing all the bearings and hopefully some other key upgrades soon but waiting on Christmas first. Any way explanation over, hope that clarifies this. I like reading everyone else's threads but if people just want to keep talking bad I'll just lurk and not share my experiences. I'm just here to talk about my favorite hobby like everyone else.
keebler1510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:08 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

I didn't mean to sound like I was lecturing about RC care. I hate lectures personally, but I have to do it with kiddos. Sorry if it came across that way.

The green grease with gear dust and plastic probably made the photos look worse than it actually was. The rust is almost unavoidable unless you live in the desert. I think I baby my YXL after every run (I feel guilty for the abuse while bashing) and I have a bit of rust on the axels. I clean and grease and it's still there.

No one here would want to turn anyone off on RCing. This forum doesn't have any haters, at least that I have seen.

As I said in the quoted post, Axial is a cool company to their customers. They sent me kit axels, bearings, and 17mm hubs when I called to just complain about the RTR Nazi nuts. I didn't ask for the new hardware, they offered it. Like you, I'm not insane and wouldn't turn down parts.

Quote:
So everyone saying that I didn't maintain my vehicle I am guessing you didn't read my early post right. Let me explain I had just recently rebuilt the rear end and front end with fresh fluid, grease, new shims, dhawk bulkhead, and dhawk spacers. Bearings, driveshafts, and drive cups were removed inspected and set in a Teflon coating over night. They still looked good for being the original bearings. Reassembly went normal and all seemed smooth. Fresh green marine grease was put in and it felt better then ever on the first two packs of 4s.

I put the truck thru some rough (I admit it)mud bashing, sorry didn't know I couldn't run my waterproof truck thru water, but after a fun 20 min of bouncing around nothing seemed wrong just a dead battery. Took the truck home and hosed out with fresh water and let dry for a few hrs. Then picked it up for a few days, I took it out again and didn't make it half way thru my yard before it shredded the rear axle. At the time that happened I had some other stuff to go do anyway so the truck got picked up in my office for another week before I got to open the axle.

The pics show what was fresh green grease that now has black plastic shaved and blended into it, along with teeth from both gears, and parts of the blown bearing. The rust must be from sitting between last washing and actual disassembling it. I don't know if the bearing failed first or the retaining screws backed out first, either way it failed before a forth pack could be run after its last teardown, that seems a little to quick to me. However my other rcs usually get a basic tear down every 6 months for maintenance. Currently I have traxxas revo 3.3 brushless conversion, proline pro2 sc kit, and the yeti xl rtr(because I thought it was cool and couldn't wait for the kit version). Had a few other nitro cars in the past and recently decided to get a small fpv quad. I'm not saying that it was a good thing for me to neglect my truck for so long but I just didn't have time to tear into it.

Not gonna say I was right to just accept the parts when offered but how many people would really turn down basically a new axle. I only need to move over some of my existing parts and put it back together. This time I think I'll avoid the thinner green marine grease and go with nice coating of lucas heavy duty gear lube, which should stick on the bearings very well and help keep water out of them. I do plan on replacing all the bearings and hopefully some other key upgrades soon but waiting on Christmas first. Any way explanation over, hope that clarifies this. I like reading everyone else's threads but if people just want to keep talking bad I'll just lurk and not share my experiences. I'm just here to talk about my favorite hobby like everyone else.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Honestly it wasn't so much your post that made me write that yours was the last one so I quoted it. I'm still gonna be here reading post just probly won't post my own as often
keebler1510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

"Bearings, driveshafts, and drive cups were removed inspected and set in a Teflon coating over night. They still looked good for being the original bearings."

Always new bearings. Always. I think its cool that you beat your rig. Its not like it gains value. But you cant beat your rig in mud and water and not replace bearings. Might as well not even open it up and clean it out if you dont have new bearings. Especially the bearings with the most load like diffs. You should change your sig line to include new bearings. Super glue and duct tape dont fix wore out bearings.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote

2wd YXL? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What else should I order with the YXL kit olfajarley Axial Yeti XL 18 12-03-2016 05:09 PM
New YXL kit- Must Have Upgrades BigStick Axial Yeti XL 17 05-26-2015 11:36 AM
YXL Tribulation tonyfalkon Axial Yeti XL 28 04-17-2015 01:43 PM
Wheels for the YXL Duramarks Axial Yeti XL 19 03-21-2015 11:25 AM