Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: 2wd YXL?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 2wd YXL?

So guys same sob story as usual, my rear diff gears are chewed up again after some pretty rough bashing. So I was considering moving the front diff gears to the back and removing the front drive shafts all together. Since I'm broke right now and saving for Christmas I figured this would still let me run until I can get new parts.

Turning the truck into rwd, I am wondering how long the diff would hold out though to all the power being put down.

Also with seeing axial releasing there 1/10 trophy truck makes me want to turn the YXL into a trophy truck. Since most real TT's are 2wd it just makes since, to me anyway. It would be rtr 2200kv setup and probly only 4s.
What are yall thoughts?
Will it shred the gears on the first trigger pull or could it be awesome in 2wd?

Thanks for any input
keebler1510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2015, 09:55 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2wd YXL?

Cant say how long the gears will last but a rwd xl is a horrible idea, to much power for rwd.

Sounds like someone needs to ask santa for some gears.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:19 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Well I'm getting new gears soon enough but like I said I'm saving for my family's Christmas, so my truck will have to wait.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:15 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

It will turn better in RWD. I've had mine in RWD for short periods due to other damage, it handled quite well (on grass and pavement - not climbing). Maybe adjust the settings on your speed control to reduce power output, check your slipper, and give it a shot. You can work your way back up on power as you gain experience with it. Another option, depending on what gears are stripped in your diff, might be to put a cheap diff locker (Hot Racing sells one) in the damaged diff and run it on the rear of the truck. Probably goes with out saying to make sure your diffs are meshing correctly and that there's not something else around them loose, cracked, etc. that might be allowing the mesh to change under load.
avted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Sorry kids, Santa skipped you because you drove me crazy for 365 days. I'm going to go bash my YXL. Laters.

I would never every suggest you do that. Hell, I've taken shitty jobs when I've been laid off just get a discount on toys for the kids. I didn't even get paid enough to BUY the toys and had to use my severance and savings. Kudos for thinking about your family first.

Where is the Axial Christmas Elf? Does anyone from Axial read this forum?
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:08 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Might be worth a call to Axial support for more gears. When I've managed to get through to them (never succeeded via email, had to call), they've been pretty helpful with replacement parts.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I recently rebuilt the whole truck about 3 battery packs ago with new shims, diff fluid, dhawk spacers, dhawk diff bulkhead. The mesh was smooth then and after the first two packs the truck seemed better than ever. I went beat it up in some really nasty thick clay mud and came home limping. I can still roll it in its condition on low throttle up to around 10mph but anymore power and there was a horrible grinding noise in the rear axle, front sounded fine under power. When I got a chance to open it up looks like ring and pinion gears are chewed not sure about the internal gears.

As far as Christmas goes my wife has a list of parts I would like to have. The kids come first of course, wife second, me third it's always been that way for me. But with the downturn in the oil field my hrs have been getting cut lately, luckily my wife just started working again so it'll get better soon enough.

I thought about calling axial and crying about why my "new" truck just chewed up gears but I've had my truck for a while and I know I cause it.

I know it's kinda ashame to tear apart the YXL and change it to a 2wd TT but I've been reading alot of custom builds in the desert racing section with 1/10 Scale yeti axle on a custom tube work frame and they just look awesome to me. So maybe later on I'll get another axle and try my hand at a custom frame 1/8 scale TT.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:16 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Sounds like you're on top of this, Keebler. One more thought: I just started to experience noise in my rear diff. So far, over 7+ months on 6s, my diffs have been fine. I found that one of the bearings on the rear drive shaft pinion had blown, which was allowing the pinion/axle assembly to move out of mesh with the diff under load. I also found that the retaining clip for the rear axle/pinion was gone. Not sure if the clip or the bearing went first. I caught it before destroying my pinion or diff. My guess is that yours is beyond that, but the way you described the failure sounded similar to what I encountered. Perhaps, if you have a similar problem with play in the axle/pinion, there's enough gear surface left in the pinion and diff to keep going?
Old 11-07-2015, 11:33 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I'll have to check the rear drive shaft pinion when I get back home. Most of the teeth are still there but in groups of 3 the teeth are shorter than the rest like it was unbalanced or something. Don't have picture on me right now but yall get the idea.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:51 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Another side question is how does everyone get water out of tires. I probly should have plugged the vent holes before submerging it but I forgot and now my tires are very much out of balance, this may have contributed to the broken gears but idk.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:38 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

The best way to get all the water out is to take it apart, thats what I did with my sons e-maxx baking method at 325 on each side or whichever method you prefer, there's a few methods shown on youtube. Whether or not it contributed to your chewed up gears is open for debate there is also your driving style to consider if you drive anything like me doing heavy breaking during a speed run then thats just a product of drive train brake which is the brake method applied by electric RC's. I did try RWD on the RTR a few months back, the RTR seemed more agile on cornering, more stable on high speed runs and not a lot of traction rolls and thats without any sway bars but again thats been my experience with my driving style on dirt and beach sand on OEM tires and wheels.

Last edited by tonyfalkon; 11-07-2015 at 01:41 PM. Reason: additional info
tonyfalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:23 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

With baking will the rims still be reusable? So far I've been lucky running my stock rims on 6s.

I actually finished taking the axle apart and found the real problem. Looks like one of bearings exploded and it started to wobble. This chewed up the retaining screws and the housing itself. The diff and pinion gears arent as bad as i orginally thought but should still be changed. So I won't be going 2wd yet gotta order a new axle housing at least which is cheaper than gears. But to fix it back right is gonna add up lol, I wish someone besides vanquish would offer a rear axle. I know it's top quality for the price but can't justify that right now

Parts list
Axle housing
Pinion gear
Diff gear and housing
Bearings
Screws

Last edited by keebler1510; 11-07-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:21 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Yes the rims are still usable. Before you order your parts first clean them up to see the damage and 2nd call Axial support for replacement then order the parts that need replacing or isn't covered by warranty.
tonyfalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I cleaned everything up and the axle housing is gone. Where the 3 screws go in to the hold pinion gear is completely eaten away. And because the pinion moved in closer to the ring gear the diff housing is scared up pretty bad but probly still usable. I will be calling axial Monday morning to see what they can do.
I wanted to replace all the stock bearings and screws eventually just not like this. Lol

I do still like the idea of converting to a TT and started drawing out a basic flat plate chassis idea in cad. Nothing really to show yet. I have plenty of 1/4 in aluminum flat plate to cut up in the trucks down time though.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

You might be able to get that to limp along with just new pinion bearings. Hard to tell from pictures, Not much to lose by trying.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:05 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I hear ya on that but I don't think the pinion will stay in place without those 3 tiny screws. The actual holes for the screws and the screws themselves seem to have disappeared. The hole that the pinion sits in is now an oblong shape. Chock it up to bad design or whatever but I always thought those little screws would eventually fail.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:44 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Just get a new housing and bearings, there cheap. Make sure you got some shims in there as well. Run the gears for now till they're totally toasted then get new gears when funds are better.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:42 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Got a new housing, new gears, and new bearings showing up today sometime from axials warranty department, thanks axial. I'm still interested in building a yeti xl trophy truck, so gonna pursue this route soon. I'll update here later since it is yeti based.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #19
RCC Addict

To be honest, that should not have been warrantied...look at all the rust and muck inside that axle. That was a neglect issue.....maybe I should call them about my worn out tires or my beat up body panels as well.

If you buy an aluminum axle, your only going to be spending more money when this happens again. An aluminum housing will not keep bearings from exploding nor will it hold up to a damaged bearing. It will eat aluminum just as easily.

Last edited by redsawacs; 11-13-2015 at 12:51 PM.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:14 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Sorry if it's seems as though I got one over on them. When I called them and explained wt happened the girl on the other end just asked me for part number of wt I broke and said they would replace them. I never directly asked for replacements. More just letting them know wt happened to me. You probly could call them and say your tires wore out and want new ones, she didn't seem to care much about why they broke just get wanted to get me running again.

2wd YXL? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What else should I order with the YXL kit olfajarley Axial Yeti XL 18 12-03-2016 06:09 PM
New YXL kit- Must Have Upgrades BigStick Axial Yeti XL 17 05-26-2015 12:36 PM
YXL Tribulation tonyfalkon Axial Yeti XL 28 04-17-2015 02:43 PM
Wheels for the YXL Duramarks Axial Yeti XL 19 03-21-2015 12:25 PM