Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Should I get a Yeti XL?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2015, 10:36 PM   #1

Default Should I get a Yeti XL?

Ok, so a quick background. I've had an emaxx, 2 stampede vxl's, various cars, and a wraith spawn. I currently have a stampede and the wraith. I had gotten tired of just flying around with the pede and so got the wraith to do some crawling. I very much like the wraith crawlability, but I also wish it could drive fast without constant flipping. I have been pondering selling both of those trucks and getting the Yeti XL. I don't have a "dedicated" crawl spot, so I primarily bash in the back yard, although on camping trips where I can find a good spot I like the locked diffs of the wraith. Ultimately I want a truck that can handle driving fast, jumps, etc, and also be able to do some basic crawling. If I was to fit an XL with very high weight diff fluid, could I accomplish all this? Also, I have been reading on part failures and wondering if the xl is a safe bet? I would for sure like a larger truck, and I'm already ruling out the emaxx, revo, etc as they are more or less a larger pede. I guess basically what I'm asking is, can the yeti xl be a good basher, and with the correct diff fluid still be able to do some basic crawling?

Edit: To clarify on speed, I don't need to run a constant 80mph. My stampede is good for 60+ but I have it geared way down because it becomes uncontrollable at that point, but I do want at least 40 ish for a random quick run down the street. My VXL stampede would prolly be the ultimate vehicle, but it cogs like crazy down low, and 4wd becomes useless as soon as 1 tire on the axle starts slipping.

Last edited by stingeragent; 11-20-2015 at 10:39 PM.
stingeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2015, 10:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Should I get a Yeti XL?

YES. The YXL is so much fun how could you not get one?
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:52 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Stingeragent, It sounds like you are describing the YXL. I'm definitely not a crawler but I have a lot of fun climbing all types of terrain with mine. As far as driving fast, jumping, etc... Oh yeah and then some. To me, what or how much you get out of the YXL is what you put into her. Don't get me wrong, it's a blast to drive right out the box...but she steadily improves as you tinker and modify needed areas. Hope you go with one!
Trifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Totally agree alot of fun to drive and tinker with to change things up how you like it.I love to go to the job sites around my house and jump/climb the huge dirt and rock piles.
Barndog Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:05 AM   #5
Scale Detail Engineering

Yes. No...wait, yes!
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

The Yeti XL is at home bashing through a construction site or a camp site with some big hills to climb and some crawling over BIG obstacles. This RC can mow through terrain...at a slowish speed...that a eMaxx/eRevo/LST XXL or the like could NEVER go through. It is not meant for speed runs and is not meant to leap a tall building with a single bound. Keep the drag brakes off, brake % low, slipper adjusted so it actually SLIPS and keep the punch control dialed WAY up and your diffs will be fine. Your still going to roll it over and crash it...then replace those parts that bend and shatter with what ever you want as that happens. I am not too sure if I would run the stock wheels..one or two runs on a cold day and they will be warped and or cracked to all heck.
I would say get the kit version and read through all these posts on this forum and make decisions based on that info and your own wants from this RC. I would go sensored and stay with a low KV motor for torque, smoothness and long run times. I have a low KV motor (1570kv) on 5000mah 6s and get way over 1/2 hour run times with varied driving.
Once you own it you will see why the majority here love it. It has a personality different from all other RCs it's size out there. It has grown on me big time and I don't think I will part with it. I've had my own little "moments" with it but once I bashed it at the right spots....it's a very fun toy! I have had tons of RCs over many years and this (and my Supermaxx) are my favorites......for now.
Fordfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #7

if you plan to do any sort of "speed runs" on a paved road .. be prepared to baby it to accelerate and have a decent run way to slow down. The XL diffs can't handle abuse on paved roads.
FCSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Sounds to me that you would enjoy a YXL. I have a Wraith that I use to crawl. Before I had the Wraith, I would try to crawl with the YXL. It's not a great crawler, but you can just punch it and launch over whatever you trying to crawl over.

The YXL is amazing. Terrain that the Stampede would just bounce around on is drivable with a YXL. Once the YXL is tuned (shocks, brakes, steering) it's an amazing vehicle to drive and to watch. If you have a BMX track you can bash on or a construction site with a lot of space, you'll have a blast.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:12 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

The Yeti XL is a awesome machine, but I would also consider the 1/10 Yeti. Mine is awesome on 4S and won't eat itself under its own power.
CamaroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:19 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

What a 1/10 on 4s that sounds like a lot of broken parts
If you want to run 4s buy the YXL it's a sweet rig
I own 2 fully upgraded 1/10 yetis
And I don't even play with them
I run my YXL all the time

EVERY ONE SHOULD HAVE A YETI XL

Last edited by Kx450; 11-24-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Kx450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:52 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

You've played with 4 independent suspension and 2 solid axle RC's but the YXL is a different beast it may be a supersized Yeti but thats where it ends and did I mention it is a hybrid IFS and RSA. The YXL is, and this is just my opinion, part rock racer like the 380 designed to run fast in off road rocky terrain, part buggy with a rear solid axle intended for dirt, clay and part crawler with IFS which would depend on how big the rock is and how creative a driver you are. And if your thinking of bashing on paved roads the YXL isn't really built for that, some will disagree and argue that changing the tires and with some tuning it can and maybe it will but it won't have the same exhilarating effect as when your bashing in some rocky or dirt road with it, you're better off with the 4 independent suspension like the summit which is a better crawler because of the ground clearance, High-Low Transmission and remote locking differentials. YXL shares the same characteristics with the Trophy Truck the IFS and RSA is a dead giveaway knowing all its strengths and weaknesses will save you a lot of money buying parts as they say use as intended but if you bash anything like me it can be a money pit.

Now I'm not trying to discourage you from buying as you may have read through this forum there are a lot of us here that enjoy bashing the YXL I just want you to know what you're getting into and hope that you're not one of those that end up selling their YXL after a month. For me I went for the YXL knowing all this, but I like working on my rig, I may have complained to inform Axial for some minor changes but all in all I embrace the challenge. Lastly if your not working on your rig then your really not having fun.
tonyfalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:09 PM   #12
RCC Addict

You should buy a hardly used one and upgrade or replace damaged parts as required. You'll get a better deal that way for sure
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:14 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I think cmbcx might have one somebody on here offered to sell
A YXL
But you are correct you will get way more bang for the buck
And a few upgrades

Or post in the wanted adds that's how I found my 2nd YXL

Last edited by Kx450; 11-25-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Kx450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:47 AM   #14

LW8304 Eligible for Easy Pay Axial 1/8 Yeti XL Monster Buggy 4WD Kit
Accessories Needed Combo Available FREE shipping when ordering this item on our web site... click for more information
Now would be the time to get one at Tower Hobbies.
tech3241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:39 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

You can add 70 off onto that 450, which is a killer deal for a xl kit. Or 120 off a RTR.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote