Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Yxl what upgrades are mandatory

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #1

Default Yxl what upgrades are mandatory

Hi all,
Just finished a kit and been reading all these horror stories of constant breakages. Was gonna sell my yeti for an xmaxx but decided not too. Just love the look of this beast !!

My question is what upgrades are necessary right off the bat so I won't run into too much trouble ??
Thanks !
kalamatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Yxl what upgrades are mandatory

Follow the bhb mods.
Mine is broken again. Fri was frt diff bearing.
Sat was rear diff bearing.
Today is frt driveshaft at pinion.
I'm only on 4s to.
When it's running it's a blast. But mine just
Keeps breaking.
Good luck to ya.
Follow bhb and watch the vids.
47yok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:04 PM   #3
RCC Addict

sway bars, aluminum steering link, servo saver spring or washer to tighten tension and a front body mount

Last edited by redsawacs; 04-03-2016 at 03:17 PM.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:43 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

Dhawk steering bellcrank, Barndog panels, and a modded driveshaft will get the XL farther than most these guys would like to admit.

Either poor assembly, Or fixing things that aren't broke seem to really make this truck a hassle for many XL owners.
Capwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:01 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capwn View Post
Dhawk steering bellcrank, Barndog panels, and a modded driveshaft will get the XL farther than most these guys would like to admit.

Either poor assembly, Or fixing things that aren't broke seem to really make this truck a hassle for many XL owners.
I Can't help to think that you're suggesting that the HD gears aren't a issue... Either way your right
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:36 AM   #6
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
I Can't help to think that you're suggesting that the HD gears aren't a issue... Either way your right
I don't know, I'd have to shred my ( properly shimmed ) stock kit gears first..

Then I'd actually have to open the HD gears that Axial sent me for testing..

Probably wont ever happen tbh, After the abuse the stock ones took, I'd just replace them with some more stock straight cut ones and shim them properly again... That is if they ever fail.

Last edited by THX_138; 04-04-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Capwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:44 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Ya I'm sure the stock ones work great properly shimmed.. I bought a RTR and within 9 days 6s cooked the bearings then hobbico sent me the HD gears.. December 19 2015.. I think I was a involuntary tester lol... All in the past for me now !! Still love my XL..
Old 04-03-2016, 11:04 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47yok View Post
Don't forget to turn the punch and brake controls down. That's how these guys are getting it to run for a while. And drive it in a open field with a baby in it. Then it's fine.
Punch control goes up, guys seems to be using between 50-80% with good results. Brake goes down, 20-30% is probably about right.

If you don't do this it will break
sparwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

For the sake of staying on point:

Doubling up on wheel hexes and/or using loctite (mine came loose even with loctite on). Even with two on I still check on them periodically to ensure I don't strip out another wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bbos12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #10

Seems like the breakage is so inconsistent with yxl's from person to person(or car to car)...My first broken part was a shock cap about 2 minutes after the maiden voyage...light roll over and it was done...replaced it with one of the extras included in my RTR bag and have crashed much harder without breaking another one..after that i snapped the rear driveshaft...tossed in a HR driveshaft and i apparently got the only good one because it refuses to break contrary to popular opinion..

After that it was front diff issues...bearing and axle cup the first time...I did a dhawk box with BHB modded hd gears only to have the spider gears implode and another axle cup...thats all fixed for now....i got tired of being outcorned by school buses so i did the steering stuff...I have the vanquish rear axle housing and a fresh set of hd gears ready to go in but since my stock rear is working perfectly i have no desire to fix something that isnt broken.
reacttiondc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Make that 1 of the only 2 good HR drive shafts made. As mine will not break either. I've had the GPM rear drive shaft for a few months now... Just waiting to go in when the HR blows-up, like promised.
Trifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:57 PM   #12

i jinxed myself...first i sheared the pin off on my hr driveshaft...easy enough to fix that...then i had the pinion bearing crap out on the rear diff so now i guess its time to put that vanquish unit to work haha
Old 04-05-2016, 09:57 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reacttiondc2 View Post
Seems like the breakage is so inconsistent with yxl's from person to person(or car to car)...My first broken part was a shock cap about 2 minutes after the maiden voyage...light roll over and it was done...replaced it with one of the extras included in my RTR bag and have crashed much harder without breaking another one..after that i snapped the rear driveshaft...tossed in a HR driveshaft and i apparently got the only good one because it refuses to break contrary to popular opinion..

After that it was front diff issues...bearing and axle cup the first time...I did a dhawk box with BHB modded hd gears only to have the spider gears implode and another axle cup...thats all fixed for now....i got tired of being outcorned by school buses so i did the steering stuff...I have the vanquish rear axle housing and a fresh set of hd gears ready to go in but since my stock rear is working perfectly i have no desire to fix something that isnt broken.

Dude what the HELL you TOTALY Jinxed your self!!! Word for word lol CarzyI think I figured out diff cup failure..
Old 04-05-2016, 10:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
Dude what the HELL you TOTALY Jinxed your self!!! Word for word lol CarzyI think I figured out diff cup failure..
its all good, put my vanquish rear end together and slapped some putty in the rear diff...been wanting to do that for awhile anyway...got her goin again and promptly ate a pinion gear...seems like lately the engine is slipping in the mount and messing up my mesh...guess its time for a nice motor mount....never ends lol....

As far as axle cup failures i suspect thats from landing hard on the front and the stock plastics arms flexing hard and allowing the axles to jam into them....i had to replace both(very bent) axles last time i had to replace a cup...was gonna try some aluminum arms but just havent gotten around to it....been mainly just doing small hill climbs and bombing around grass fields lately...be nice to get some run time without opening my wallet..

Last edited by reacttiondc2; 04-05-2016 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:02 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I think the putty is key ... I think it acts as a absorbent...
Good call on the suspension compression (com-crushing) the diff cup...
I was thinking it could of been one of my issues that I learned the hard way...hydraulic pressure .. Now IF I use diff oil I make sure to remove the set screw on the cup (pin port) turn it to 12 o'clock and finish tightening the ring screws.. Haven't broke it sense...before that 2 screws in 2 diff cups (after I ran it) as well as ring gear distortion because of the cup bulging..
Old 04-08-2016, 02:48 PM   #16

Thanks for all the feedback, sold my xl kit.... Will be getting a losi lst xxl e instead !!
Old 04-08-2016, 03:06 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

The pos junk is really beyond the average guy.
Unless you have plenty of time and even more money.

You'll love that losi xxl2e. I've done everything with it that I tried with the pos yxl. Nothing broken.
47yok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47yok View Post
The pos junk is really beyond the average guy.
Unless you have plenty of time and even more money.

You'll love that losi xxl2e. I've done everything with it that I tried with the pos yxl. Nothing broken.
Yes that's what I thought. Can't justify spending so much money on a kit and needing so many additional upgrades just to mak it functional. When I was building the kit the quality of the plastics is very poor, lots of things would not line up .

Yxl what upgrades are mandatory - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
YXL kit neccessary upgrades? Mudman Axial Yeti XL 46 02-17-2016 10:53 PM
PROOF aluminum front bulkhead is mandatory pro mod steve Axial Yeti XL 5 01-24-2016 02:02 PM
New YXL kit- Must Have Upgrades BigStick Axial Yeti XL 17 05-26-2015 11:36 AM
Mandatory Fun RANOVRU Chit Chat 22 07-20-2014 11:08 PM
HS gears are mandatory ? venom 18.5T brushless BL-4x4 Kyosho Crawlers 13 08-05-2012 02:26 AM