Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Trans failure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #1

Default Trans failure

Hi all. I built my xl and finally got everything how i wanted it and then 2.5 batteries of running, just dialing in everything, BOOM! Transmission failure.

Not sure if idler let go first or slipper seized first but grenaded entire trans.
At first Axial said "send us a list of damaged parts and we will send the right out or send us the car and we will fix it". I sent them a list of p/n's. 2 days later they tell me it is too many pieces and that now i have to send them the vehicle for evaluation.
I am very disappointed. I would hope the trans isn't the weak link. I wasn't going to relay this story until i got their response.
I don't want to put back together with parts that are going to fail. Suggestions? Running 6s.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Last edited by THX_138; 03-19-2016 at 09:53 PM.
slowe2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Trans failure

same thing happened here my first week... my rtr slipper was to tight !!!! the teeth actually were sticking out of the case !!! I could see daylight through it !!
I want Vanquish to come out with a transmission case

Last edited by THX_138; 03-19-2016 at 07:57 PM.
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Stock slipper setup is a joke on the xl, get whatever you need in the tranny fixed from axial then buy a robinson racing yeti gen 3 64t slipper setup.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:55 PM   #4

I had the slipper out 3/4 turn and thought it was good. I'm not sure how aluminum is supposed to work for a slipper pad. It is not a good material for sliding interface. I got some fast eddy bearings. Anyone have any experience with the hot racing gears? I am really disappointed that Axial won't warranty the trans parts. I never even got to the track. Teeth sheared on every trans gear. Here i am worried about diffs and axles and instead blow up the trans. I digress. ..

Old 02-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #5

I had basically the same thing happen to my tranny. I don't know if the little plastic piece that hold the middle gear bearing flexed causing the gear mesh to change but all my gear had missing thooth.

I ended up getting the HotRacing gear set because it was the same price as the axial gear. The Axial gear appear to be compressed metallic powder that is then cooked to harden. I don't know if the hot racing are better but as of now I've not had issue.
Steeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have had my YXL for almost a year on 6S with no trans problems. When I built my kit I took the stock bearings and trashed em. I went with all AVID bearings and the RRP slipper. The RRP slipper takes a bit to take a set but once it does it works great. Tons better than the stock one did for me. The way that bearing exploded I wonder if the problem started there. I remember reading of people having trouble with the stock bearings.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:12 AM   #7

So i went ahead and ordered parts because i have had no more response from Axial. My advice to prospective buyers is to assume zero warranty. I could see sending to Axial if it were an rtr but when it is a kit with lots of upgrades and great care during build process, who wants to send in? That would be like me taking my own personally built hot rod into a mechanic i don't know and saying have at 'er. Not likely.
Second point, no matter how impatient or financially challenged, do NOT assemble with stock bearings.
So anyway, parts on the way for Yeti XL transmision break-in overhaul procedure (recommend pre break-in though):
Fast Eddy bearings (or bearings of choice)
Robinson racing slipper
Hot Racing gears (or RRP) haven't ruled out Axial gear as failure point
Stock trans case (unless doing pre break-in method, no aftermarket yet)
Output shaft and retainer pins (unless doing pre break-in method)

So rough math is over $100 for trans break-in/rebuild
Just my 2 cents but wouldn't everybody rather pay $20-30 more on the front and get a good set of bearings and slipper to start? And if not, warranty early failures without a hassle? Just saying. ..
I didn't want to throw more dough at shipping so i guess we wait a while for parts. Just put 3s in the wraith .
Ok so here's the time line;
Saturday, feb 6- email with detailed description and multiple pics of failure. Within a couple hours get email response apologizing for troubles and they will warranty right away. They requested i send a list of part numbers of damaged pieces and they would process an order.
Tuesday, feb 9- email stating they cannot warranty so many parts. I send email expressing my disappointment and that i will share my experience.
Thursday, feb 11- around the same time i started this post, i receive email saying they have no problem sending me warranty parts.

So, are they related? But anyway good news. I wished i would have received this before i clicked "order" thinking they weren't ordering. I guess now I'll have a fully built trans and a fully stock one.

Last edited by THX_138; 03-19-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I ordered the BOCA package but the axa 1221 bearings were WRONG they supply a bearing 1mm smaller
Old 02-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #9

So i was going through changing bearings while i wait for my parts. Got rear diff apart (even though I've had for less than a month, i still got the old diffs) and after just TWO runs, it is almost worn sharp.

I don't have that much wear on my MBX7eco after a year of running.
The fit is good with very little backlash running 2 shims but the contact patch is clearly angled and the material is mushrooming. I don't know if the geometry is wrong or it moves under load, one or the other. Also not hard enough. Not sure why nobody makes nitrided tool steel gears. I have made cams and cranks using this process withstanding much higher loads.
Anyway, i have informed axial and requested they upgrade my diffs.
Will let ya know the outcome.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Not sure if you know but axial released new hd bevel gears maybe like a month ago for the xl.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #11

Yeah, they released them BEFORE i bought the kit i thought i would get the new ones but i guess i got old stock. Hopefully the will give me new ones.

Found a good use for my YXL tires

Last edited by THX_138; 03-19-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:25 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Slow2411, did you shim the pinion? The mess being off will make them get sharp. It sucks for that to happen. I've done it before. I've never had the transmission go like that. My guess is that the slipper was too tight (very easy to do with stock slipper). Even so, I'm surprised the pinion on the motor didn't give out before the idler.

I'm running the stock slipper. I used to run the Robinson Racing slipper but I had a barring fail on it and I haven't bother emailing Robinson to get a replacement. With the stock slipper I try to be very careful punching the throttle (it's fun as hell though) because I do run my stock slipper pretty tight.

I'm glad Axial is making it right. The did right by me when I had issues with the stock axels on the RTR YXL. I suggest to always talk to someone on the phone. The reps are great on the phone and the guy I talked to was very passionate about RCing. Email hasn't caught on in the RC world. Strange that email is now dead in the tech world.

Even today, at a local park testing out my new Bomber (slow ass Bomber, lol) I busted the motor pinion on the YXL. I felt the need for some speed and broke out the YXL. 6s was pure flawless joy. So I figure I'll kill my 2s packs and have some slower speed fun. 28% left on 4s and I hear pure hate coming from the YXL. I feared the idler gear had gone south, but after removing the cover I discovered it was the 17t pinion. I could tell from looking at it that I effed up the mesh...so my fault this time. The LHS near my girl's place didn't have a 17t and I'm not running a 19t so the YXL is getting a few days rest.

The LHS did have a 16t 32p for the Bomber and I must admit that it's perfect now. Amazing the difference a few teeth can make. I think the Bomber is going to be a great trail RC. The YXL is still the "OMG, that thing freaks out children, dogs, cats, turtles, and even me" truck.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:24 AM   #13

Yeah i had it shimmed. I had the slipper set 3/4 out. I'll try the phone over email tactic.
I have to say that Axial is stepping up their customer service in my book. I just recieved confirmation that they are sending me the new HD diffs. I'm feeling better already. ..

So i was taking apart front diff since I'm waiting for the new diffs when i came across this

I think the mystery of the trans failure is solved. Somehow i think the did locked up causing the trans to blow. I wouldn't have even taken diff out had i not had the hd ones coming. It still felt fine. Guess I'll order the aluminum diff case since i can only imagine this happening from case flex. First rc I've ever had to do a complete rebuild after less than an hour total run time. Hopefully I'll have better luck this next go around (after a few hondo more upgrades

Got the hr gears. The 34t is 2g lighter than stock.

I wish the pin slots were cut with a ball endmill. This eliminates stress risers and gives more contact on the pin.

And finally, there are a lot of burrs inside the lightening holes.

Definitely don't want any metal chips floating around.
Also will be using extreme pressure grease for the rebuild.

There is a manufacturing problem on the new slipper drive shaft. The 2mm holes are drilled off center far enough that the gear won't go on. The old shaft has some pretty gnarly gouges from the grenade but i think i can make it serviceable (might have to weld).

It looks like there is a fixturing issue with drilling these since it does not appear to be drill walk. So i would expect there to be a whole batch like this. Fyi for anyone else in the build.

Last edited by THX_138; 03-19-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:46 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Hmm that s*cks.... these gears arent cheap and still not fit
Sjonnie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #15

It's the shaft that's machined incorrectly. Both the hr and new stock gears fit the original shaft fine. I don't have stuff to measure at home but by eye the holes are drilled .010" or so off center. I've sent info to Axial, hopefully just an isolated batch. Hate it when little things like this make it through qc. Can't imagine having to resolve issues like this half way around the world.
Anyone ever weld the gears on?

Old 02-16-2016, 09:55 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowe2411 View Post
It's the shaft that's machined incorrectly. Both the hr and new stock gears fit the original shaft fine. I don't have stuff to measure at home but by eye the holes are drilled .010" or so off center. I've sent info to Axial, hopefully just an isolated batch. Hate it when little things like this make it through qc. Can't imagine having to resolve issues like this half way around the world.
Anyone ever weld the gears on?

I contacted Axial and spoke to Scott regarding the HD pinion gear issue. He wanted me to compile information over the issue so he could present it to QC on Thursday... Either contact him @ Axial 949-600-8642 extention 206 or I can pass on the issue..He seemed eager to resolve the issue issues, issues, issues sorry I've got a issue with the word issue..
Old 02-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #17

Just got email from hobbico that the hd bevel diff gears back ordered and are expected end of march. In guessing they are in the process of finishing up a new batch then the boat ride from Taiwan. I pushed a little about why i won't have the same failure again (even stock parts of this blow up are around $200). With the max amps batteries i see current draws of 180 amps which is incredible for a 10lb rig. I just don't think the driveline can handle that power. They really shouldn't advertise that it can handle 6s (i know, maybe i should have listened to everybody but i guess that's me beyond cocky). I'll get the vanquish rear and front bulkhead and pray the new hd gears and all the trans upgrades i have done will give reasonable reliability.
I guess the flipside is i wouldn't have got it if they advertised 4s only. I have enough 4s rigs and was looking for something different.
So now that this is on hold for another 6 weeks or more, I'm thinking of doing another 6s project. I was thinking lst2 but prefer kit (i tear down and rebuild rtrs if i go that route). I like the savage but so many upgrades to get to where is want it. Maybe Kraton or CES.... Anyone have recommendations? Or maybe scale crawler... i gotta stop

Old 02-18-2016, 09:28 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowe2411 View Post
Just got email from hobbico that the hd bevel diff gears back ordered and are expected end of march. In guessing they are in the process of finishing up a new batch then the boat ride from Taiwan. I pushed a little about why i won't have the same failure again (even stock parts of this blow up are around $200). With the max amps batteries i see current draws of 180 amps which is incredible for a 10lb rig. I just don't think the driveline can handle that power. They really shouldn't advertise that it can handle 6s (i know, maybe i should have listened to everybody but i guess that's me beyond cocky). I'll get the vanquish rear and front bulkhead and pray the new hd gears and all the trans upgrades i have done will give reasonable reliability.
I guess the flipside is i wouldn't have got it if they advertised 4s only. I have enough 4s rigs and was looking for something different.
So now that this is on hold for another 6 weeks or more, I'm thinking of doing another 6s project. I was thinking lst2 but prefer kit (i tear down and rebuild rtrs if i go that route). I like the savage but so many upgrades to get to where is want it. Maybe Kraton or CES.... Anyone have recommendations? Or maybe scale crawler... i gotta stop

looks like I might of got the old ones pulled from the shelf ...Hopefully I saved bashers from bashing their heads of the wall lol
Old 02-21-2016, 12:40 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
I contacted Axial and spoke to Scott regarding the HD pinion gear issue. He wanted me to compile information over the issue so he could present it to QC on Thursday... Either contact him @ Axial 949-600-8642 extention 206 or I can pass on the issue..He seemed eager to resolve the issue issues, issues, issues sorry I've got a issue with the word issue..
Did you receive any feedback from the meeting?
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:09 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
Did you receive any feedback from the meeting?
I'm gonna call Scott tomorrow morning.. I think I'll be able to make a video tonight ...Just finished my yeti shop.... I gutted out my entrance room and made a fn garage in my house lol.... gotta say its pretty handy to have garage in my house ...now I don't have to go out to the garage to tinker around the house... since its been finished my girls took it over making crafts lol anything's better than on fb or watching t.v.... I've been having a problem with my phone uploading vids...trying the ole cam corder tonight.... Hopefully

Trans failure - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MIP failure mcsgt98 Traxxas Crawlers 3 06-07-2014 06:09 PM
Failure to signal ? Rootar Chit Chat 19 08-06-2011 10:35 PM
Transmission Failure yotachump Axial AX-10 Scorpion 26 03-09-2008 10:06 AM
Yet another failure nor-cal zukini Axial AX-10 Scorpion 26 02-01-2008 07:27 PM
failure nktrnl Chit Chat 11 09-15-2006 11:00 AM