Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Must watch video hd gear mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2016, 09:28 PM   #81
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Must watch video hd gear mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
just having fun.. no harm meant ...It was going along with what you said.. (and poking fun at my self for breaking out the dial indicators.) Remember that I've had my mod ridiculed ...when I was just trying to help...that tends to hit a nerve..especially when I don't deserve it.. like 47OK just messaged me saying that he's figured out the REAL problem...But far as I know I'm came up with the mod and I've also had almost 60 6s runs for testing for you guys...ALWAYS willing to listen but think it out first..
No worries I was joking, replied on my phone so no smiley faces, just out of curiosity, what is the real problem, seems to me you've already figured it out.
sparwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2016, 10:08 PM   #82
RCC Addict

He thinks the gears are misaligned.. maybe so.. in some strange way .. but I feel solid that removing the bulge bump, burl, clot ,knob, lump, protuberance, tumor, and or wart will solve this debauchery!!!

Last edited by BarHarborBasher; 07-08-2016 at 11:07 AM.
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:45 PM   #83
Rock Stacker

Just because I feel the need to understand how everything works, here are a couple of references comparing straight and spiral cut bevel gears and the forces associated with each type. For either type of gear seems that the bearings are going to get both radial and axial loading no matter how you cut it which could explain the outboard bearing failures some are having, with the added force as a result of the lever arm on the outboard bearing this is perhaps why it goes before the inner one, an interesting read anyways.

I am guessing if you are jamming the pinion and ring gear together (before BHB mod) than the Fp and Fs forces are higher than you would get for a properly meshed gear -- result explosive de combustion of the bearings and housing.

Straight Bevel Gear Force equations

Nomenclature

z p = Number of teeth on pinion
z g = Number of teeth on pinion
α = Pressure Angle of Teeth.
ε p = Pitch Angle (pinion)....= tan-1 (z p / z g )
ε g = Pitch Angle (gear)....= tan-1 (z g / z p )
P p = Power at Pinion shaft (kW)
n p = Rotational speed of pinion shaft (revs/min)
d p = Pinion Pitch Circle diameter (mm)
Mp = torque on pinion shaft (Nm)
Fs = Separating Force (N)
Fp = Pinion Thrust (N)
Fg = Gear Thrust (N)

Spiral Bevel Gear

These are produced using a spiral gear form which results in a smoother drive suitable for higher speed higher loaded applications. Again satisfactory performance of this type of gear is largely dependent upon the rigidity of the bearings and mountings.

α n = Normal Pressure angle..
ε = pitch cone angle
γ = Helix angle

Pinion Thrust F p = F t [ (tan αn sin ε / cos γ ) ± tan g cos ε ]
Note: ( + ) if helix angle is as shown and ( -) if helix angle is opposite to that shown

Last edited by sparwood; 03-21-2016 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:48 PM   #84
RCC Addict

yes I fn love it !!!!
Old 03-21-2016, 11:53 PM   #85
RCC Addict

that's fumy my laymen's example on our PM pretty much went with the equation lol I love stuff like this thanks Woody

I think this is the design flaw in the tranny α = Pressure Angle of Teeth
but I know ... some guys just got all the luck lol

Last edited by BarHarborBasher; 03-21-2016 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:53 PM   #86
Rock Stacker

Quote:
yes I fn love it !!!!
Not bad for an electrical engineer...... still trying to figure out how to apply V=I/R to this problem.

I suppose in hindsight there must be quite a lot on engineering that goes into these (toys) to make sure that they don't fly apart in 10 minutes, to sympathize a bit with Axial I can see how things sometimes come off the rails and get missed.

Last edited by sparwood; 03-21-2016 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:02 AM   #87
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparwood View Post
Not bad for an electrical engineer...... still trying to figure out how to apply V=I/R to this problem.

I suppose in hindsight there must be quite a lot on engineering that goes into these (toys) to make sure that they don't fly apart in 10 minutes, to sympathize a bit with Axial I can see how things sometimes come off the rails and get missed.
true ...but that's where testing comes in.... AND what's the excuse releasing the RTR with bevel cut gears knowing 2 months ago I made it aware over and over and over lol and over... seriously... not fn right...my info made it to R&D and Q&C.....
Old 03-22-2016, 12:03 AM   #88

I've built full size axles and set up gears and even had a few RC trucks in the past where gear setup was required and this is the first truck I've seen where the gear sets come from the factory as grenades.

V=I/r applies here because we all want to increase V by increasing I and decreasing R. This mod decreases R on the motor basically making the whole system more efficient electrically.

Also, as a fellow gearhead and electrical systems nerd, I highly appreciate the math and diagrams explaining the problem. Now if Axial would just pay BHB for his solution and mass produce new gears that mesh correctly, we could all have a lot more fun. Until then, I'm going to go ahead and continue rebuilding my Yeti XL with all new bearings, gears, front clip, Dhawk bulkhead, and servo in hopes that I don't toss this thing off a cliff into the ocean out of frustration. I'm going to tear the front end down tomorrow and I'll see if my RTR came with the HD gears.

Thank you for your, out of the box, thinking BHB!
TwoShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:06 AM   #89
Rock Stacker

Quote:
true ...but that's where testing comes in.... AND what's the excuse releasing the RTR with bevel cut gears knowing 2 months ago I made it aware over and over and over lol and over... seriously... not fn right...my info made it to R&D and Q&C.....
That one I agree with, I wonder if some made it out the door before they could put a stop to it, I'd like to hope that was the case.

Last edited by sparwood; 03-22-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:08 AM   #90
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShoes View Post
V=I/r applies here because we all want to increase V by increasing I and decreasing R. This mod decreases R on the motor basically making the whole system more efficient electrically.
In this case V stands for vodka, right?
Old 03-22-2016, 12:08 AM   #91
RCC Addict

I wonder if Harley is watching down on us ??? It would be nice to get some traffic going so the Rc~er's don't bamboozled !!!
Old 03-22-2016, 12:15 AM   #92
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I wonder if Harley is watching down on us ???
Davidson??? don't tell me the tranny in your bike is screwed too!!!! You'll need a bigger grinder for that my friend.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:19 AM   #93
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShoes View Post
I've built full size axles and set up gears and even had a few RC trucks in the past where gear setup was required and this is the first truck I've seen where the gear sets come from the factory as grenades.

Also, as a fellow gearhead and electrical systems nerd, I highly appreciate the math and diagrams explaining the problem. Now if Axial would just pay BHB for his solution and mass produce new gears that mesh correctly, we could all have a lot more fun. Until then, I'm going to go ahead and continue rebuilding my Yeti XL with all new bearings, gears, front clip, Dhawk bulkhead, and servo in hopes that I don't toss this thing off a cliff into the ocean out of frustration. I'm going to tear the front end down tomorrow and I'll see if my RTR came with the HD gears.

Thank you for your, out of the box, thinking BHB!

THANKS FELLOW GASAHOLIC !!
They can keep the FN money ...Just as long as they stop Fn people ovhA...
I really did my best to help them out from the pure humiliation ...but I guess they get the last laugh by selling out of replacement parts...CHA CHING..$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

OBSOLENCE IN ITS TRUEST FORM
Old 03-22-2016, 12:22 AM   #94
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparwood View Post
Davidson??? don't tell me the tranny in your bike is screwed too!!!! You'll need a bigger grinder for that my friend.
NO a RC Guru... Vanquish's go to man
I think he's a major player in the RRC forum..
Old 03-22-2016, 01:32 AM   #95

I tore apart my front end tonight, couldn't sleep, the gears that came in my RTR that I purchased in January are the original gears. The gears aren't too messed up but the bearing on the output shafts are trashed. I'll get some new HD gears on order and do the mod. Hopefully I'll have my YXL back running by November... Ha!
TwoShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:12 AM   #96
Rock Stacker

That's how I found my problem. Out put bearing trashed on ring gear side. From all the Xtra pressure. Plus the outer pinion bearing was rough also.
From what I felt last night after the bhb mod. This should be all good now. Can't wait to see how it turns with all new bearings, oil and grease.
Should be smooth as silk.
Thanks to bhb for his time and trouble.
47yok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:38 AM   #97
Rock Stacker

Question for you guys who have the dhawk bulkhead.
It says that hd gears do not fit?

Or you just have to do bhb mod on pinion. Then they fit?
47yok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:59 AM   #98
Rock Crawler

The hd gears do NOT fit the DH bulk head. I have NOT tried it with the BHB mod yet.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #99
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
The hd gears do NOT fit the DH bulk head. I have NOT tried it with the BHB mod yet.
I can confirm that the HD gears do work with the dhawk bulkhead once the BHB mod is done! Pure silk. This is how all ring and pinions should feel!
YXLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:04 AM   #100
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47yok View Post
Question for you guys who have the dhawk bulkhead.
It says that hd gears do not fit?

Or you just have to do bhb mod on pinion. Then they fit?
Yep they fit like a dream!! 50+ runs and look brand new!!!!!!! Check it for your self on my youtube page..I've got 3-4 videos showing them after 25 25 55 runs all mostly 6s and I was driving like a FN hammer trying to break the HD gears!! Maybe I was taking out my pinned up frustration on them...either way they proved to now be the most reliable part
after breaking 2 rear outputs,sun gear,front CVD, ten thousand pins, 2 wheels it still was a fraction of the cost that the HD gears cost me !!!!!!
All in the name of Science... and corporate greed

Must watch video hd gear mod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx10 Comanche Music Video FINAL EDIT! Watch in HD ray2286 Videos! 11 03-13-2011 12:21 PM
Most BADASSESSSSS video EVER, EVER!!! Watch it! toyofast Chit Chat 19 08-04-2010 10:23 PM
Wow watch this video. dezfan Chit Chat 10 09-23-2007 09:35 PM
Watch this 1/6th Video AMAZING! DirkDigler General Crawlers 3 03-06-2006 07:01 PM